Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior eBay halo lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009 | 06:50 PM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BiZzLeSMiNI
hey dr phil, i was thinking about pulling the trigger on these but are you saying they basically fog up like my joey modded headlights do with moisture and rain? if so i mind as well keep what i have now. let me know, thanx
I'm not sure about Dr. Phils, but I live in the Florida Panhandle where it rains like a loon at times, plus with humidity that makes you want to take a shower as soon as you step outside in the morning and I have yet to have any "moisture" related problems. As far as good lights, no, these lights aren't the greatest for light pattern. I will go so far as to say they are 10% better than the standard OEM halogens mine came with. Unless you want the added Halo, which is one of the reasons I bought mine, then just stick with your current modded lights.

Old 02-19-2009 | 08:28 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
+1 with Fatherdeth. I got moisture in through the light fittings, so it was my fault, not the design of the lights.
In the end they can be improved with better bulbs (I got the Ozrams) but you get what you pay for. If you do the Joey mod on your OEMs that would be a better end result I think.
(I'm about to open up my OEM Xenons this coming weekend...aaargh)

Old 02-19-2009 | 09:09 AM
BiZzLeSMiNI
3rd Gear
couple more ?'s

thanks for the responses guys, i just have a few more questions:

if you have the halo parking lights, how well do the halos in the ebay lights match up with the parking lights, im sure its not dead on but is the difference very noticeable? if so, have you guys tried changing the leds in both the parking lights and ebay lights to match?

may be a really stupid question, but how do you wire up the halos in the headlight to the parking lights if the lights come up with the hood. there is no way the lights come with enough wire to route them along the inside of the hood all the way to the back where it hinges and back to the front bumper to connect to the parking lights, or does it?

if you guys could let me know asap, id appreciate it. if your answers are what i am looking for im prob going to pick up a set and have the rings painted when i get to the body shop in a few weeks

what are the best/brightest, not necessarily blue, h1's you guys would recommend for these? i wont care about matching the hi/lo beams to the halos, but itd be real nice if the two halos matched, it think itll look real trick!!

Old 02-19-2009 | 09:48 AM
Mike S
4th Gear
The halo's in the headlights are white in colour where as the halo's in the parking lights are more blue. The difference isn't noticable enough for it to bug me. Here's how I ran the wires. Easiest way :D

Last edited by Mike S; 02-19-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2009 | 07:06 PM
BiZzLeSMiNI
3rd Gear
i notice you have the hid versions, how do you like them over, im assuming what you had before, the stock halogens? the wires come that long??

Old 02-19-2009 | 07:45 PM
Mike S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BiZzLeSMiNI
i notice you have the hid versions, how do you like them over, im assuming what you had before, the stock halogens? the wires come that long??
Like others have mentioned, the light pattern isn't that great, but it's drive-able It does look pretty good once lit up. The wires come that long. I had to extend the halo parking light wires on my own though, but that's easy.

Old 02-19-2009 | 08:32 PM
DrPhilGandini
You only need to do one side to the parking lights, then join the two halos under the bonnet. You wouldn't notice my wiring if you looked with a magnifying glass... Like MikeS, I provided my own extra wires--no biggie.

I don't run halo parking lights, so I don't have that problem. I don't remember the exact H1 I got, but I got Ozrams, which had been recommended in other threads on NAM (from a search).

Old 02-25-2009 | 02:22 AM
MInI___Gz
5th Gear
Hey Father , i really like your light set-up !are your spot light on the grille these kind from ebay?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by MInI___Gz; 02-25-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2009 | 08:08 AM
Rui
Neutral
I have OEM halogens on my 06 MCS, and they are awful! would you recomend adding these with a halogen bulb, or with a xenon conversion kit?

Or just addiding an aftermarket xenon kit to the OEM headlights (I've heard mixed reviews on this...)

Old 02-25-2009 | 05:34 PM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MInI___Gz
Hey Father , i really like your light set-up !are your spot light on the grille these kind from ebay?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...Q5fAccessories

No, these are the lights I run. Thanks for the compliments.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...=group_listing

Old 02-25-2009 | 05:36 PM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rui
I have OEM halogens on my 06 MCS, and they are awful! would you recomend adding these with a halogen bulb, or with a xenon conversion kit?

Or just addiding an aftermarket xenon kit to the OEM headlights (I've heard mixed reviews on this...)
Sorry, I can't answer your question on the xenon kits. I have no experience with them. I will say that my ePay headlights with Luminics halogen bulbs are pretty decent. Not the best, but a little better than stock.

Old 02-25-2009 | 06:19 PM
BiZzLeSMiNI
3rd Gear
so long as they are better than stock i think ill take em, i cant stand the fact that my standard halogens fog up after joey modding them, only one does but still, and there is still too much chrome in the headlight

one more question, are the bulbs for the halos replaceable, and if so is it a similar LED to the parking light halos? i think with the hid kit im just going to make the two halos match each other not necessarily the headlights

Old 02-26-2009 | 08:40 AM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
The inner housing of these lights are black, but just to give you a heads up, are not chrome fre. They have their fair share of chrome inside. And make sure you order the black ones. There are some chrome ones on the market.

Well, the LEDs are replaceable, however, I will let you know that it will take some thought in replacing them. Basically the halo is a hollow plastic tube. There are 2 LEDs at the bottom that when turned on, shine light through the tube. Kind of like how fiberoptics work in a sense. You could replace the LEDS as they are held in place by a rubber grommet. I'm thinking of trying to get some brighter LEDs to replace mine with, I just haven't had a cjance. And I'm not sure aout matching the halo arking lights as I have never dealt with them. Sorry.

Old 02-26-2009 | 08:55 AM
BiZzLeSMiNI
3rd Gear
hey thanx for the reply fatherdeth

if i know what you are talking about, the LEDs in the headlight halos should most likely be the same style wedge type as the ones in the parking halos. so if we just buy 8 of the same style wedge bulb we should be good to go! now the light pattern wont be exactly the same cuz of the shitty design of the parking halo ones where there are 2 bright spots, the headlight halos with the tube are def a better design for the function...the engineer in me is being judgemental

Old 05-28-2009 | 10:10 AM
adrianr
3rd Gear
I got a question, im planing to buy these but if i already have the OEM xenon are the connectors the same? Plug-and-play ?

Old 05-28-2009 | 03:09 PM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by adrianr
I got a question, im planing to buy these but if i already have the OEM xenon are the connectors the same? Plug-and-play ?
I'm not sure if they make these things in xenon format. My ebaay lights are standard halogen and would not work with xenon fitted Minis. However, I wouldn't change out my xenons for these lights if I had them. You'd be better off breaking open your housings and doing a custom halo ring install.

On another note, I had to replace the LEDs on my passenger side light. The inverter went out. I got 4 pre-wired 3mm LEDs from Oznium.com and retrofitted them into both lights. My rings are now brighter and since these LEDs have resisitors, they'll last longer than the ones that had the inverter on them. Any questions, pease feel free to ask.

Old 05-28-2009 | 03:23 PM
adrianr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
I'm not sure if they make these things in xenon format. My ebaay lights are standard halogen and would not work with xenon fitted Minis. However, I wouldn't change out my xenons for these lights if I had them. You'd be better off breaking open your housings and doing a custom halo ring install.

On another note, I had to replace the LEDs on my passenger side light. The inverter went out. I got 4 pre-wired 3mm LEDs from Oznium.com and retrofitted them into both lights. My rings are now brighter and since these LEDs have resisitors, they'll last longer than the ones that had the inverter on them. Any questions, pease feel free to ask.
tyty, i'll leave that way then xD, when i decide myself to do the joey i;ll see if i can add the halos ty

Old 05-29-2009 | 10:42 AM
DrPhilGandini
To answer your question, adrianr, these aftermarket headlamps are plug and play, but the halos need to be spliced into your parking lights (not exactly plug and play).
There's an unofficial HowTo for doing the Joey on the Xenons (look for posts by me), but putting halos in there might be challenge. It's possible for sure, if you wanted to replace the rings in front of the highbeams with halos it would look really cool. Do it!!

Old 10-05-2009 | 09:55 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
I got my Halo Black Housing Headlights today! Easy Install! Debating on hooking up the extra indicator light. I connected the Halo's to my parking lights and the headlight was just plug and play. Thinking I might connect the 3 indicator light inside the headlight to the turn signal. What do you think I should do? Or leave it off?

I will take more pics tomorrow in the day light!

Old 10-05-2009 | 10:02 PM
MrCooperS
did you originally have halogens or HIDs? are those halogen or HIDs in the picture? can you post a picture of your lights at a wall with the cut off lines? I'm very curious as it could help me decide if I want a set of these. Thanks.

Looks fantastic by the way. What did you do with your signal lights? Looks great.

Old 10-05-2009 | 10:19 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
I originally had Xenons, I tried to do the Joey mod and cracked out of the lens. They were the older Xenons anyways so I kind of wanted to get a different look. These are halogens with the projector lens in them. I will take some pics tomorrow against the wall. It is pretty decent. Still debating whether or not to connect them to the signals in the mid bumper. Whatcha think? Thanks though! They do say NOT FOR HID's on them but I am going to do a little bit of research and see what people have done because I need whiter/brighter bulbs!

Old 10-06-2009 | 05:20 AM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
I'm now considering hooking the third light up in mine, but replacing the incandascent bulb with a white LED bulb. I just can't decide!!!!

Old 10-06-2009 | 05:23 AM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GumbyLara
I originally had Xenons, I tried to do the Joey mod and cracked out of the lens. They were the older Xenons anyways so I kind of wanted to get a different look. These are halogens with the projector lens in them. I will take some pics tomorrow against the wall. It is pretty decent. Still debating whether or not to connect them to the signals in the mid bumper. Whatcha think? Thanks though! They do say NOT FOR HID's on them but I am going to do a little bit of research and see what people have done because I need whiter/brighter bulbs!
Just get some high intensity bulbs to replace what came in them. I went with Luminics Ultra White bulbs, but HELLA makes some good bulbs as well.

Old 10-06-2009 | 07:03 AM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
That's a good idea! I was thinking about a nice white led is there as well! Where can I get the ultra white? eBay?

Old 10-06-2009 | 10:41 AM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Here are more pictures! I will take the light it produces later once it gets darker!

great picture!

close up

the gap isn't really noticable at all. I can barely tell!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior eBay halo lights