Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior eBay halo lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008 | 06:00 PM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
eBay halo lights

I've been wanting to post this for a while. I have always wanted halo lights on my MINI just because it seemed like the BMW thing to do. I originally started with the Optilux driving lights with the halos, but soon wanted the actual headlight. After pondering the pros and cons, I finally purchased a set of halo headlights off ebay. My first impression when I got them was "WOW, these are really nice looking." I didn't have to "joey mod" them as they were already black. The only problem I had with them was that the outer rings were chrome, and they seemed black in the picture on ebay. Oh well, no big deal. I painted the rings, put the XPEL headlight protection film on them and installed them. The lights fit right into the bonnet. The bolts line right up. You however have to move them around a little until you find the right fit. Mind you, I originally installed mine in first without the headlight rings. Without the rings, they fit spot on. It's the rings that make them seem like they don't fit as well. Basically, in the end, they aren't perfect, but it's not obvious. The wiring on the other hand was a pain in the butt though. Here's why. The connectors for the actual headlights are plug and play. No problems there. The pain part of the wiring is running the wiring from the halos down to the front parking lights in the bumper, because I chose to splice them into the parking lights. I just ran the wiring down and zip tied it to some existing OEM wiring and then wrapped it in electrical tape. You wouldn't even know they were there. There are, however, two extra lights in the housing that I did not hook up yet because I didn't know what I wanted to use them for. I really don't think turn signals in the headlights ar necessary as there are turn signals in the front bumper. If I wired them into the parking lights, then that would take away from the effect of the halos. So as of right now, they are just going to be sitting on the sideline. If you all have any questions on the lights, or install, please feel free to ask me. Here are some pictures. Sorry for the crappy night one. ]
][/quote]</p>
][/quote]</p>
][/quote]</p>

Last edited by Fatherdeth; 04-22-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: forgot pictures
Old 04-22-2008 | 06:05 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
i see no pics

Old 04-22-2008 | 06:33 PM
Jason C
4th Gear
Now get some Halo parking lights and you're set!

Old 04-22-2008 | 06:41 PM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jason C
Now get some Halo parking lights and you're set!
I've been eyeing them. You don't think that would be over excessive do you?

Old 04-22-2008 | 09:21 PM
Jason C
4th Gear
Personally, I think it would be cool. But to each their own. I bet they would color match your others too.

Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
I've been eyeing them. You don't think that would be over excessive do you?

Old 04-23-2008 | 09:39 AM
marco621
3rd Gear
Did you get the halogen lights or the hids?
I noticed how you said the chrome rings didn't fit perfectly, is it possible to use the oem rings with these lights?

Last edited by marco621; 04-23-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2008 | 08:43 PM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jason C
Personally, I think it would be cool. But to each their own. I bet they would color match your others too.
You are right, they would match the others. Right now, the parking lights look so yellow versus the white glow from the Halo LEDs. I might try it out, but probably not until after MOTD. I have to save some money for that trip. Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-24-2008 | 08:52 PM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by marco621
Did you get the halogen lights or the hids?
I noticed how you said the chrome rings didn't fit perfectly, is it possible to use the oem rings with these lights?
I've got the halogen ones. As far as I know, the vendor I bought mine from only has the halogen ones. The lighting is a lot nicer than the OEM halogens.When I first installed the lights, I had the outer rings off. The lights fit in the openings perfect, which leads me to belive the OEM rings might fit these lights, but that's in theory. These lights are made to resemble the OEM xenons, so they have fake washer housings. This is something I might experiment with later. I painted the rings that came on them black. They turned out good at first, but now I've got a few bubbles forming in the passenger side. I'm not worried about it right now, but buying some OEM rings and having them painted and then installed might not be a bad thing.

Old 04-24-2008 | 09:00 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
So this might be a dumb question, but I've never disassembled the headlights or rings...could the OEM chrome rings that I already have be used with these lights?

Old 04-24-2008 | 09:20 PM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
So this might be a dumb question, but I've never disassembled the headlights or rings...could the OEM chrome rings that I already have be used with these lights?
Well, I might have to retract what I stated above as the more I think about it, the rings that came on these lights have tabs that are all the same size all the way around. The OEM rings have different sized tabs, so I don't know how this would affect fitment. I guess it really doesn't matter because I broke all the tabs on these aftermarket lights anyway. I didn't feel like fighting with them. Even after breaking the clips, they had double sided tape on them just like the OEM rings. I just put double strength 3M tape on mine and even though the tabs were broken, some of them still snapped back on (what was left of the clip). They can be taken off without breaking the clips, I just didn't feel like fighting with them. I still will tell people however, that the fitment is not bad at all. I probably wouldn't worry about it, because it's not a permanent upgrade. You can go back to the OEM headlights any time you want. I will be at this years MOTD, so if anybody else is there, you can see them on my car. Just look for the really Crappy looking Jet Black MINI which is half way blacked out.

Old 04-25-2008 | 12:47 AM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Fatherdeth, do you think you could get a good photo of how the lights project in front of the car. Maybe up against a wall or something? That would be great if you could because I've always wanted to see how well they work.

Old 04-25-2008 | 07:11 PM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xnotfunkylex
Fatherdeth, do you think you could get a good photo of how the lights project in front of the car. Maybe up against a wall or something? That would be great if you could because I've always wanted to see how well they work.
Not a problem at all. I'll try and get a good photo on Saturday night and post it for you. My garage door is being blocked by my wife's Celica tonight.

Old 04-26-2008 | 06:08 AM
minjae
6th Gear
those look pretty nice..props on being one of the first? to get those.

Old 04-26-2008 | 10:32 AM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minjae
those look pretty nice..props on being one of the first? to get those.
Thanks !! There are a couple of other threads in here from some of the other users that have these. They all pretty much say the same thing I did, that there are some fitment issues, but nothing too bad. I mean the best thing going is that the three bolts line right up with the holes. Sometimes you get aftermarket stuff where the bolts and holes don't line up.

Old 04-26-2008 | 12:58 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Thanks.

Old 05-09-2008 | 08:41 PM
donjulio
4th Gear
can you take some pictures with high beam and low beams and stuff !
i wanna see lol

like 5 mins after sunset

Old 05-09-2008 | 09:05 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
those look great!

Old 05-09-2008 | 09:10 PM
Fatherdeth
|
6th Gear
I'm sorry guys. I wanted to take pictures earlier. I've been super busy lately. I will try to take pictures Saturday night (the 10th). Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 06-06-2008 | 12:33 PM
Raiyu
3rd Gear
I'm considering these guys too, got those pics?

Old 08-15-2008 | 06:52 AM
m.voong
Neutral
Here's a few more pics of the black ones on chili red 02. I had a gap on mine too.. but it's unnoticeable unless you really get close to it.

Attached Thumbnails eBay halo lights-img_3399.jpg   eBay halo lights-img_3400.jpg   eBay halo lights-img_3401.jpg  
Old 08-15-2008 | 06:54 AM
m.voong
Neutral
Here are a couple more...

I wired the indicator lights in too (think it looks cool).

Attached Thumbnails eBay halo lights-img_3405.jpg   eBay halo lights-img_3412.jpg  
Old 08-18-2008 | 10:06 AM
donjulio
4th Gear
if anyone is interested, i have a pair in my garage with 600 miles on them

Old 08-18-2008 | 02:16 PM
marco621
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by m.voong
Here are a couple more...

I wired the indicator lights in too (think it looks cool).

Looks good!

Old 08-18-2008 | 02:43 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
btw, I pulled my Ebay halos apart and there is no mechanism for aligning these things horizontally. Vertically, yes, but the other axis is fixed with 2 threaded studs. Go figure.
I also discovered they are not sealed against the ingress of water during a heavy downpour. Bummer.

just a caveat emptor. I'm very happy with them as they look very cool. Good lights? not really

Old 02-18-2009 | 06:25 PM
BiZzLeSMiNI
3rd Gear
hey dr phil, i was thinking about pulling the trigger on these but are you saying they basically fog up like my joey modded headlights do with moisture and rain? if so i mind as well keep what i have now. let me know, thanx

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior eBay halo lights