Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior little idea for a nasty HUD, tell me if you like it

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:52 PM
rimplestultskin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
little idea for a nasty HUD, tell me if you like it

so, i was looking through auto parts sites online to possibly find a new toggle panel (one site has the US-spec panel, but i forget the link, and i want the euro panel anyway), and for a cheap power steering pump (my power steering will intermittently go out, and of the 2 mini dealers near me, one tells me its a broken switch in the pump, and the other one i havent had a chance to call up yet). and then i found this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Multi-Gauge...2117_10101.jcw

and i looked at it for a second, and then i thought "$#!*, this would make a nice heads-up display!"

so 2 questions, for all you other motorists and modders out there. first off, would a HUD on a mini be a cool idea (and by cool, i mean worth the money...obviously it would have a good look to it), and question number 2 is how should i mount the kit so it reflects onto my windshield?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 AM
nedkelly
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's relatively easy to get something to reflect on your windscreen, the issue is that anything reflected on the windscreen will be inverted and mirrored. Try it yourself with a DIY job, put the display on it's back, then get a CD jewel case, arc the lid through 45 degrees, and you'll see the display reflected in all it's beauty. But as I said, it will be backwards, and inverted. So you need to modify the display to reverse and invert it first, then your prism (Or CD jewel case) will correct it.