Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Painting glove box and knee bolster panels

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 PM
earlrabbit
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painting glove box and knee bolster panels

Sitting in the MIN the other day just soaking in the moment and I start thinking that there sure is a lot going on in the interior. Almost like it doesn't all flow together. Then I realize why I think that - the glove box, knee bolster, and the plastic housing with the gearshift and handbrake are a different color than the black dash. They are kind of a real dark blue. So I'm wondering if mine is the only one like that (probably not) and has anyone tried to paint these pieces to match the black dash and if so what color/brand of paint did you use. It's an 02 MCS.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think because of the surface texure, it will be hard to prep for painting. But there are probably special primers that don't need much or any prep work. After that, for color match, I'd say paint all the bits (dash included) the same black.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You probably will have a much better chance of good results with a dye instead of a paint. Upholstery supply houses sell vinyl dyes in many colors and types for exactly this kind of application. I dyed the vinyl headliner in my TR7 25 years ago (like spray paint, but a dye) and it worked great... I'm sure the stuff is even better now...