Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior CF rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:12 AM
kalbone
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BETALINK it!

Old 10-28-2008, 01:22 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joser
hey what brand is better the seibon or the VIS brand hatch door? Im thinking of getting one for my ride. but Im up in the air I just want to know which one is better in quality.
Seibon usually has better quality fitment. VIS is always a hit or miss by a big margin. But Seibon's hit or miss margin is more consistent. The problem with wet CF is that the production quality isn't always consistent.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:35 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ninjlao
Seibon usually has better quality fitment. VIS is always a hit or miss by a big margin. But Seibon's hit or miss margin is more consistent. The problem with wet CF is that the production quality isn't always consistent.
I think you have that backwards. The Seibon hoods I have seen look like jabooty and have cracking issues. The fit is there with ViS. Its hit or miss on how big the gaps are but you can usually shim it to acceptable tolerances. I know mine fit like OEM...

Old 10-28-2008, 04:38 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kalbone
BETALINK it!

HAHAHAHAHA.....Team Betalink...We should combine that like we were talking about. Also...im in for a new hood, hatch and prolly gettin fenders on the DL with Sush.... Where u is on this beeeeotch?

Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Originally Posted by UKSUV
I think you have that backwards. The Seibon hoods I have seen look like jabooty and have cracking issues. The fit is there with ViS. Its hit or miss on how big the gaps are but you can usually shim it to acceptable tolerances. I know mine fit like OEM...
That strange haha. I know the Seibon stuff I have owned have always fit better than VIS. Maybe I just got a run of bad luck from VIS? I've never heard of cracking issues with Seibon though...that's wierd.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by UKSUV
HAHAHAHAHA.....Team Betalink...We should combine that like we were talking about. Also...im in for a new hood, hatch and prolly gettin fenders on the DL with Sush.... Where u is on this beeeeotch?

Ummm...Im here, and Ill have the CF in my garage tomorrow...where you at??? You didnt even come over and bring me ice cream tonight...and to think I stayed up waiting

Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 PM
kalbone
5th Gear
Old 10-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Chase
4th Gear
ooo very nice. Looks like a nice fitment too

Old 10-30-2008, 10:45 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
It is a pretty sweet fitment...The ONLY problem, is that whichever side you choose to put the actuator that holds the hood up (And I highly suggest only running one) will stick out just a HAIR. The other side sits flush. You will have to play with the adjustment at the top.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:04 AM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
. How long did the install take? I really need to do this asap because that looks amazing.

Is the tape for the widow?

Lastly, is there anything special about the clear coat you had done? Or is it normal and just for better wear on the part?

Old 10-31-2008, 02:42 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
This topic has made me want a lot of CF on my car

So, is there a definitive answer on which is best, Seibon or ViS?

Also, has anyone fit CF doors? If yes, how much weight do you save from the OEM ones?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:08 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Originally Posted by MINIdriver85
This topic has made me want a lot of CF on my car

So, is there a definitive answer on which is best, Seibon or ViS?

Also, has anyone fit CF doors? If yes, how much weight do you save from the OEM ones?
I would have to say to do your own research and get your own opinion as to which of the two is the better company. There are two sides to every story, just go with the one that sounds better to you.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ninjlao
I would have to say to do your own research and get your own opinion as to which of the two is the better company. There are two sides to every story, just go with the one that sounds better to you.
Yeah, I guess that's the best option. Anyway, I've seen that both only do the hood for the S, or so it seems from their websites, does anyone know if they do the one for MC too, without the scoop?

I've seen a couple on Ebay from a company called Carbon Creations or something like that, can't remember well, but I know nothing on the quality...

Old 10-31-2008, 12:53 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdriver85
Yeah, I guess that's the best option. Anyway, I've seen that both only do the hood for the S, or so it seems from their websites, does anyone know if they do the one for MC too, without the scoop?

I've seen a couple on Ebay from a company called Carbon Creations or something like that, can't remember well, but I know nothing on the quality...
Im looking into ViS making the MC hood

Old 10-31-2008, 03:47 PM
istara
2nd Gear
sweet! can't wait to see them in person.. really, really wish I could justify getting a set myself right now

Old 10-31-2008, 04:37 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AZblackOUT
Im looking into ViS making the MC hood
Thanks

Old 11-02-2008, 09:51 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
How long did the install take? I really need to do this asap because that looks amazing.

Is the tape for the widow?

Lastly, is there anything special about the clear coat you had done? Or is it normal and just for better wear on the part?

Old 11-02-2008, 10:40 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Install took about 2 hours...only because it was the first time and there was some fabrication involved. Have a dremel handy and get the sets of bolts, washers and nuts that Ive posted a link for above...
Yes the tape was for the window and the moldings...I did not drill the holes for the clips involved for the moldings, they had to be too specific and it would have been too time consuming. I had them glued, therefore if I ever have to replace the glass (hope I dont have too again!) The moldings are ruined. But this should not affect your hatch if it is done right!

Just a normal clear coat, cheap and effective...just to get the job of protecting the gel coat from the AZ sun.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:47 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Awesome, thanks. I think I am going to get mine cleared in the next week or so.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:26 PM
wikedgolf
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AZblackOUT

im so jelious... its to daym cold to install the window where i live right now... I need this winter crap to go away

Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 PM
markp
Rush "Roll the Bones"
I still wish someone would make CF roof cap. Anyone out there willing to do this...

Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wikedgolf
im so jelious... its to daym cold to install the window where i live right now... I need this winter crap to go away

You are such a whiney beotch. Warm that sandy vajayjay up and get to it...

Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xnotfunkylex
Awesome, thanks. I think I am going to get mine cleared in the next week or so.

What Sushi SHOULD have said is that you need to put a thick clear on it if you want it to last. But, in reality...I see all CF parts needing to be cleared every few years to keep the gel coat from fading like mine has done. Mine is to the extreme and ViS should put a warning on the parts (even tho I knew about it). Anyways, ViS is BETTER than Seibon. Always has...always will be. I might wait to fit the new hood and hatch until I get fenders and doors so I can do one mass coat and install. I need to talk tro Sush as to when we are getting fenders still. I dont know what I want to do with my old CF hood...

Old 01-07-2009, 11:06 AM
batrugger
5th Gear
Originally Posted by markp
I still wish someone would make CF roof cap. Anyone out there willing to do this...
I know a guy here, Robispec, that does full race prep and he said he could do it, but it would be a full roof replacement, around 1K, and it would require a cage in the car. That does not include install and painting either. Hey Justin, LMK when you head out this way and we'll do that swaybar deal. I want to see what it is like to run the smaller bar instead of the 26mm Eibach we have right now

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior CF rear hatch