Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior compatible headliners

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
compatible headliners

I plan on swapping out my light grey headliner for an anthracite one. Are there any issue that I should watch for before I undergo this project. I have an 04, and the anthracite is in an 05. Both have sunroofs. the only difference i could tell from pictures is that my car has the clock pod, and the 05 has some sort of leds/airbag light? Will that be the only difference between the two u think?

here is a pic of the donor car's roof, and that airbag light thing where my clock pod is... they look to both have the same oval shaped outline?

Mine is more this number

Last edited by MUShadd; 05-29-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:57 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh Oh Oh!!! I've been thinking of doing this forever. Let me know how it goes!
Yep those are lights and an airbag light indicator.

Are you replacing the A/B/C Pillar covers and visors and handles as well? Hmm that would mean the over head light between the two sunroofs as well since that's the wrong color.

Post pix!!

Richard
Originally Posted by SnYpR
I plan on swapping out my light grey headliner for an anthracite one. Are there any issue that I should watch for before I undergo this project. I have an 04, and the anthracite is in an 05. Both have sunroofs. the only difference i could tell from pictures is that my car has the clock pod, and the 05 has some sort of leds/airbag light? Will that be the only difference between the two u think?

here is a pic of the donor car's roof, and that airbag light thing where my clock pod is... they look to both have the same oval shaped outline?

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 05-29-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:04 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I've actually wanted to do this too...but seems like a MAJOR undertaking! Let us know how it goes and take pictures!!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:10 PM
OctaneGuy
I was just going to email Classic and then I realized, wait that headliner is huge--shipping isn't going to be pretty.

I'm actually thinking that if I did this, I would just replace the visors, and paint the rest--plastic covers and switches.

The headliner might be re-covered--I've seen people use different fabrics for that--maybe an upholstery place can handle that--I dunno. It's probably just a matter of contact cement and fabric, lol.

I wish the OP the best--as I think swapping is the ideal solution--except that I wonder about the '04-'05 differences too.

Originally Posted by MLWagner79
I've actually wanted to do this too...but seems like a MAJOR undertaking! Let us know how it goes and take pictures!!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:21 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
the headliner and visors are a definite. I may do the pillars too...I will leave that up to the owner of the '05 because I can always paint my pieces black. I will def. be painting my clock pod and leave their airbag/light pod.

I done something like this in my last car. it wasn't that bad at all. I will be purchasing a bentley manual just to help things go smoothly. I don't care about messing up my car. its the donor car I want to take care with, especially since the car is brand new to them lol

Octane, a seller on eBay has anthracite headliner material for MINIs but I don't know if its precut. at $150, it seems to be on the expensive side if its just uncut fabric.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:29 PM
OctaneGuy
Interesting. I just located a set of black/anthracite visors off an '06 MCS--with the associated hardware--so I bought that, lol. It's a start. Still need the drivers side sun shade visor.

Thanks for the tip--going to go hunting...found it. Thanks! Hmmm. Looks interesting with the white parts. Will investigate. =)

Found another source that has black headliner fabric for a fraction of that one that claims to be for the MINI..comes in a roll--not a huge deal. I actually like that idea better. Man, look what you've done to me--I wasn't planning on doing this mod for atleast another year, and here I am....lol.

Richard

Octane, a seller on eBay has anthracite headliner material for MINIs but I don't know if its precut. at $150, it seems to be on the expensive side if its just uncut fabric.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 05-29-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:38 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
your welcome

Old 05-29-2008, 08:49 PM
OctaneGuy
Sorry I've taken over your thread--I'll step back.

But first I did find a place that sells interior headliner fabric as well as kits for replacing the headliner--should anyone want to recover their own. I requested sample swatches to see before I order anything.

http://www.stockinteriors.com

your welcome

Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
nice find. I read back in the day where someone posted up their project. They bought some kind of dye, and simply brushed it onto the current headliner, making it a dark/black color. Can't remember what exactly they used, but said it was found at any arts and craft store.

and feel free to post this thread as much as you like! that keeps it at the top, and hopefully someone who has done this may chime in and enlighten us both.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 PM
OctaneGuy
Oh that's interesting. Haven't thought about that--would be infinitely easier to do as well. Wonder how even it would be though.

I remember seeing awhile back someone who didn't have a sunroof had done a MINI Wings logo on their roof as well.

Thanks for the "okay" to keep posting. =)

Richard

nice find. I read back in the day where someone posted up their project. They bought some kind of dye, and simply brushed it onto the current headliner, making it a dark/black color. Can't remember what exactly they used, but said it was found at any arts and craft store.

and feel free to post this thread as much as you like! that keeps it at the top, and hopefully someone who has done this may chime in and enlighten us both.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
OctaneGuy
Here is a DIY on dying the headliner with a Duplicolor paint!!
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...08&t=66742&p=1

And this is how to recover in fabric
http://www.autorestorer.com/articles/art112.html

Some good info from people who've done it on Volvos
http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900F...ndPanels1.html

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-app...liner-dye.html

According to this post to remove the headliner you need to do the following steps (not sure why the seats need to be removed though):

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...2&postcount=11

Remove both front seats
Remove both trims for roof pillars (A-pillar) at front
Remove both panels for door pillars (top)
Remove both panels for roof pillars at rear
Remove interior rear-view mirror
Remove both sun visors and counter-supports
Remove clock FOR OLDER THAN 05' MODELS
Remove front roofliner trim
Remove rear roofliner trim
Remove complete ceiling light
Remove both rear grab handles
Remove ultrasonic module

The Ebayer replied about the headliner for $150. It's not precut and you have to glue it. They referred me to their website
http://www.headlinerexpress.com/

I'm not suggesting people buy from them, but they claim to be selling the MINI headliner they use for a Florida MINI dealership--although they say it's just Black Headliner Material which I've found for as low as $25 a roll on other sites. They do give one good bit of advice and that's 3 Yards is enough to recover the headliner.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 05-29-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:31 AM
xsproutx
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 yards is MORE than enough. I just finished doing the headline and trim pieces in my 325 in velour and had quite a bit left over. I bought 4 yards, too. So yeh. Three is avery safe number

Old 05-30-2008, 08:33 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
In velour!!

Wow...a velour covered MINI interior...that's either really fun or really pimp, I can't decide

Old 05-30-2008, 12:10 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
PM shooler about doing the recovering. You might find that it's a better option. He did anthracite alcantera on his 05, and it looks fantastic.

If you were at AMVIV, his car was the one that had EB/EB w/black OZ wheels. It was in the ALTA booth.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:51 PM
MINI Demon
2nd Gear
I am actually was excited about this thread... I was just talking to my wife about the only thing I would have changed when I ordered my MINI was I would have ordered the anthracite headliner...

My wife is about to order a AB/AB Cooper Clubman and I am trying to get her to order the anthracite headliner... I dont know why but she doesn't want it...

Last edited by MINI Demon; 05-30-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Typo...
Old 05-31-2008, 01:30 AM
xsproutx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
In velour!!

Wow...a velour covered MINI interior...that's either really fun or really pimp, I can't decide
it's in the BMW but i've considered doing it to the mini, too It really looks nice. It's a real dark brown and when the sun hits it right, looks remarkable. Really looks like it belongs. I'll try to get some pictures later!

Old 06-09-2008, 12:45 PM
OctaneGuy
Does anyone with the Anthracite Headliner know if the black visors perfectly match the fabric or if it's a shade off or two?

I got 3 samples of blacks from the headliner fabric company, and it seems that Graphite and Charcoal were the closest matches to the black visors.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
I'll go look. back in a few minutes.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:19 PM
OctaneGuy
Thank you much!!!

Richard

Originally Posted by JCW Driver
I'll go look. back in a few minutes.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:02 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Sorry that took so long. I am at work, so I actually had to put that first.

I would say that the color is VERY close to exact, in terms of color value and hue.

The vinyl sheen contributes to slight reflectiveness that makes the visors seem ever so slightly lighter than the headliner in some light. That's also true for the ABS plastic bits. Even though the color seems about the same when viewed in even light.

If it were me, I would err on the side of the darker selection if they are close and you have a choice.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:43 PM
OctaneGuy
Wow you're totally awesome! Thanks for doing that! That helps a lot. I'm not trying to necessarily duplicate the headliner color, so this is helpful info. Thanks!!

Richard

Originally Posted by JCW Driver
Sorry that took so long. I am at work, so I actually had to put that first.

I would say that the color is VERY close to exact, in terms of color value and hue.

The vinyl sheen contributes to slight reflectiveness that makes the visors seem ever so slightly lighter than the headliner in some light. That's also true for the ABS plastic bits. Even though the color seems about the same when viewed in even light.

If it were me, I would err on the side of the darker selection if they are close and you have a choice.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:00 PM
OctaneGuy
Ok so I decided to take a picture of the anthracite visor I bought off eBay. These things are obviously a take off--maybe from a wrecked MINI. They are scuffed and dirty, but oh well, will work for my purposes.

These are the 3 fabric choices I have for the headliner. I think the 2001 Graphite is the closest match.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:50 PM
shooler
5th Gear
I chose to have a contrasting "Ultra Suede" for my headliner and pillar covers. I think it turned out great.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:58 PM
OctaneGuy
Very nice. I can't tell from the pic--did you paint or get new handles/visors/overhead lighting housings???

Originally Posted by shooler
I chose to have a contrasting "Ultra Suede" for my headliner and pillar covers. I think it turned out great.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:12 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
OG, I think the Graphite looks the best too. Even if it's not "right", it looks good!

shooler, what is that rear chassis bar?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior compatible headliners