Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior MCS-style gas cap question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 12:23 AM
Thrilhouse
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a MINI on order (woo-hooo!!!) and I have seen an aftermarket MCS-style gas cap that I think would look sweet on my car. Has anyone installed one of these? How difficult is it? Can somebody as mechanically un-inclined as I install it? Thanks in advance for any info. :smile:

Old 08-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a "how to" for that mod on this site you can look at. I didn't do it (bought an S) but it looks like something I could do.
On the left side of your screen, in the "Main Menu" box, the 3rd down in the "Feature" section is "RSpeed Hos-tos".
Click that. It'll take you to the oil-change how to. There is a pull down menu in the top right corner of that page, chose the "S gas cap install" (something like that) and away you go.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:32 AM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
I have the MCS gas cap. To be honest I thought the instructions looked too difficult for someone like me. There was a part that you had to be careful not to scratch paint and another you had to take the wheel off. I know I couldn't do this. Here's what I did. I ordered the cap anyway and had my MINI dealer put it on for me. I'm very happy with this. They painted the trim piece and installed it (w/ no paint scratching) for a little under $100. This was worth the money IMO.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:41 PM
ted8597
1st Gear
I have a MCS, had the dealer put a Cooper gas cap door on.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:47 PM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
Your probably waiting for someone to ask why, so I'll bite. Why did you want the cooper door ?

Old 08-18-2003, 08:12 PM
Driving_Hamster
5th Gear
I put the MCS gas cap on my 2003 PW/B. I think it looks freakin awesome personally. I didn't put it on to "make it look more like an S". I put it on because I thought it added a lot to the car's looks. Just my 0.02$.

I am not super mechanically inclined but I can follow directions rather well. I bought the kit from Rspeed and had the trim piece painted by the dealer. I managed to get the old gas cap out and the new one in 37 minutes flat. FYI: it can be done without taking the drivers side rear wheel off (as this is how I did it). Doing it this way just means that you have to be super careful and a bit forceful at the same time :smile:

There is a another thread on this in the int/ext mods section. If you want I can post some before/after pics. (the old ones were taken down).

Really, not a big deal once you get the ***** up to yank on your car like that

- Driving Hamster

Old 08-18-2003, 08:27 PM
noleski04
2nd Gear
Not being mechanically gifted, I thought that the install was going to be difficult. It was not! Take your time and you won't have to worry about anything.

Old 08-19-2003, 09:37 AM
ted8597
1st Gear
>>Your probably waiting for someone to ask why, so I'll bite. Why did you want the cooper door ?I wasn't waiting. I was just commenting that the parts are
interchangeagle and that you can go either way.

But since you asked, I have an irrational phobia against having fake racing parts on
my cars. I also took the fake racing pedals and the rear spoiler off.

Old 08-20-2003, 12:59 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
I just installed mine yesterday, piece of cake by following the RSpeed how-tos section. I actually thought it was easier than what they wrote up...I had no problems with the fittings or removing the rubber gasket thingy-ma-bob from around the filler neck. I did not even need the WD-40 they suggested.

I say go for it, and I love the way it looks...and think they should have just have that on all minis....but we always want what we don't have

Old 08-26-2003, 02:43 PM
Bird
2nd Gear
Hey, I have a question on this thread. I ordered the gas cap from Classic. It came and it looks like I should be able to use the screw included to attach the chrome cap to the hinge. But the obvious-looking hole has no threads !?!? Am I missing something? How do you attach the lid to the hinge? Gonna do the swap as soon as I figure this one out. It'll be cool.

Old 11-15-2003, 06:54 AM
MiniBabe
1st Gear
I am wondering what is coming along with the MCS gas cap kit for the base model Mini Cooper? Is it the same as the factory ones? And could you just swap the door slide without replacing the hinge? I am afraid that replacing the door slide alone will allow water sneak into the gas tank when raining

Old 11-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Driving_Hamster
5th Gear
The actual MCS gas cap does not fit onto the OEM Cooper hinge. They are two competly different shapes. That is why the complete replacement of the hinge (and trim ringe) is required. The kit comes with everything you need. All you have to do is get the trim ring painted to what ever color you like.

I did the installation myself in less than a hour and I am not exactly the most technilogically oriented. If you can follow directions closely you will be fine (see my post above from August).

I have not noticed any leaks what so ever so far from my install (and my poor mini has been in some heavy rains.

Good luck and let us know of anymore questions.

Old 11-15-2003, 07:24 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>>>Your probably waiting for someone to ask why, so I'll bite. Why did you want the cooper door ?I wasn't waiting. I was just commenting that the parts are
>>interchangeagle and that you can go either way.
>>
>>But since you asked, I have an irrational phobia against having fake racing parts on
>>my cars. I also took the fake racing pedals and the rear spoiler off.

Hey, that is irrational........please post a pictured of your gas-flapped, spoilerless, rubber pedaled MCS. I'm not sure if the supercharger is an actual "racing" supercharger. Have you considered removing it?

R.E.