Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Carbonized gone wild!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008 | 04:08 PM
carbonized
|
3rd Gear
Hey Bart, I'm with you on that one ! You didn't stick your finger in something I didn't notice, did you?

Old 06-29-2008 | 06:34 PM
carbonized
|
3rd Gear
Here is something I was working on Saturday, part one of 3 things going on at the same time . I call it I.C., tilt .

that should give me enouph space to duct the I.C. , insulate it from the engine bay heat , and suck the flow through louvres in the hood.. I know it's not the right place to post this, but its kind of connected:See OP

Old 06-29-2008 | 07:13 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
It's your thread, so you can post anything you want.

Very cool(no pun) to see you mod your IC like that, I ran mine like that a while back...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=72261

I'm now working on fitting an R56 core in the lower grille area.

Old 06-30-2008 | 07:29 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Laurent, should given me a call .

I modified a Forge IC similar to what your working on. The pic is deceptive but I can get my most of my hand under the IC from the back.

The front of the IC was lowered - perhaps visible here

This was a forge prototype I worked on w/ Minspeed - as you can see I also built a fixed scoop to smooth out the inbound air and eliminate the "seal" against the hood. The scoop in theory pressurizes the air smoother than the seal against the hood. While the scoop is aluminum - on one hand it heat soaks on the other it helps pull the heat soak and increases air to surface area dumping heat sooner.

all theory.

Perhaps a scoop like this out of CF for your project.

Old 06-30-2008 | 07:31 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gnatster
Bart tries to keep his fingers in all the cool MINI stuff.
If that were TRUE your hood wouldn't have come out so good.

Old 06-30-2008 | 07:35 AM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
ide like to see a set of those with the points like you have, but still keep the "round" theme that the car employs. nice quality though.

Old 07-01-2008 | 04:41 AM
carbonized
|
3rd Gear
I too was surprised with the fit of the shape. Bart had this look on his face when he saw it too, then I put it on the car and he agreed there might be enough "roundness" to pass the mustard. The mini paint scheme helps too. On the final product the black trim and stem will be left clear carbon.
Bart, I didn't have a IC core laying around but my oem. From what I've read over the years, it is hard to beat anyway and for the purpose of mesurments it will do.I fully intend to use your type of upper duct as well as a lower one. By the way I got a 9 degree increase in the tilt, that alone should help the flow a bit!

Last edited by carbonized; 07-01-2008 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2008 | 07:47 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by carbonized
I too was surprised with the fit of the shape. Bart had this look on his face when he saw it too, then I put it on the car and he agreed there might be enough "roundness" to pass the mustard. The mini paint scheme helps too. On the final product the black trim and stem will be left clear carbon.
Bart, I didn't have a IC core laying around but my oem. From what I've read over the years, it is hard to beat anyway and for the purpose of mesurments it will do.I fully intend to use your type of upper duct as well as a lower one. By the way I got a 9 degree increase in the tilt, that alone should help the flow a bit!
1) The mirrors are different looking and get getting use to. For the appearance purist, they proabably won't cut it however for the performance purist a totally different story. Once you hold it in your hands and feel the weight (or lack there of!!), as well as an aero appreciation its pure WOW.

2) On the IC - a rework of the stocker is the way go. Lets hook up and talk and beers. A few degrees will definetly help "flow". I opted not to use a bottom duct for I wanted to retain the perceived benefit of the air hitting the top of the engine. There are two perceived benefits of a top scoop -
1) better seal than foam to the hood.
2) The tapered design should pressurize sooner and create a smoother air path.

Old 07-01-2008 | 07:56 AM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
I was refering to the shape of the mirrors. I would have liked to see them oval style to match the roundness of the car.
as far as the air induction, I like what I see and am curious of how much more power you will get from the new part. are you going to post Dyno results? of do you have any already.

Old 07-03-2008 | 08:03 PM
carbonized
|
3rd Gear
I as said in the OP it was the "momorabilia" thing, and that is what the R10 mirrors are . Including the the blue mirror glass that my wife hates. And exepted the motorised fonction. My R8 wing got some very straight lines into the car and the mirrors seems to blend Ok with it now. Of course the new DOME car came out with oval mirrors, but it was too late, and exept for racing against it, I have no involvement in it . The Mini paint scheme realy make the shape stealthy, I think. I've been watching them driving in rain and it is amasing. The water witch was on the glass before moving, stay there absolutly still, until dry. There no swurling, no flying off, nothing !!!! There is no drag .
Can somebody please tell me how to download spell checking? I just got a new computer and it didn't transfert from the old one, and the icon is nowhere to be found .

Old 07-03-2008 | 08:46 PM
carbonized
|
3rd Gear
I am right now looking for a 5 to 6 channel data logger. just to make sense of my experiments. I do not believe in dino numbers as a proper tool to judge IC efficiency. With my system I would need to dino with the hood shut, and 65 mph fans,. It ain't gona happen! It will never show me heat soak, recovery, and it will not give me any valuable h.p. numbers.
I plan on geting deltas 1st. Then do the maths.
My car is a "dino queen", 7 times so far, I've learn a few things .

Old 07-03-2008 | 08:54 PM
carbonized
|
3rd Gear
I am right now looking for a 5 to 6 channel data logger. just to make sense of my experiments. I do not believe in dino numbers as a proper tool to judge IC efficiency. With my system I would need to dino with the hood shut, and 65 mph fans,. It ain't gona happen! It will never show me heat soak, recovery, and it will not give me any valuable h.p. numbers.
I plan on geting deltas 1st. Then do the maths.
My car is a "dino queen", 7 times so far, I've learn a few things .

Old 07-03-2008 | 10:01 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
I will buy and send you some stock IC'ers for r/d, if I can be kept on the need to know basis for a IC with carbon business ends, and louvers!

THAT is what im talking about!

Old 07-03-2008 | 11:33 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
You need professional therapy my friend (read I'm very jealous)...

BTW...get your butt back on the CF sunroof replacement...

Old 07-04-2008 | 05:03 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY

YOUR ALIVE , the rumors that you took your life over a thermostat problem were false, huh?

Old 07-04-2008 | 08:35 AM
carbonized
|
3rd Gear
SID?????? How was the hibernating?
No I don't, I can stop whenever I want!
Back to the shed now. Dr Sid's orders!

Old 07-04-2008 | 08:58 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
YOUR ALIVE , the rumors that you took your life over a thermostat problem were false, huh?
It's a beautiful 72F outside, sun's shining, I'm on vacation, my family is well and happy and...my Mini still kicks butt so what's to complain about?

Old 07-04-2008 | 09:04 AM
BigSky
6th Gear

BTW...get your butt back on the CF WBK ...

Old 07-04-2008 | 09:44 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I could use the combined geniuses here for a bit of problem solving...I've been tripping the CEL recently and the same frustrating codes keep popping up...

1-#3 cylinder misfire detected
2-fuel too rich in bank detected

I've replaced the coil and plug wires and the codes still pop up. All the plugs look perfect so I'm suspecting that my #3 injector is failing...you guys concur?

Old 07-05-2008 | 01:06 PM
carbonized
|
3rd Gear
Hey, Sid, what if you swaped #2 and #3, see if you get that code on the new cylinder? . I don't know s..t about injectors but I slept at the "Inn" last night .
I have been looking for a boost leak for the past 2 weeks, could not find any. So this morning I whent to Minspeed and got one of Pete's by-pass valve, just for the hell of it I also bolted on the 59mm throttle body that I had gathering dust in the shed. Not only did I get my boost back but the needle gets up there in a hurry

Old 07-05-2008 | 07:29 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I don't know s..t about injectors but I slept at the "Inn" last night .
I expected that...
Not only did I get my boost back but the needle gets up there in a hurry
Please don't brag to us about your sex life...

...no problem spanking new Mustang GTs at Woodward tonight...must be workn...

Last edited by MSFITOY; 07-06-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-06-2008 | 06:11 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
SID,

Good to have you back and that you found your sense of humor in your DOJO.

Old 07-24-2008 | 11:34 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Hey LG, have you thought about making the bases like the factory? Two pieces that swivel 90* could do it. Then, you could hide the mounting bolts

Old 11-15-2008 | 02:41 PM
MINI_chili
3rd Gear
I am right now looking for a 5 to 6 channel data logger.
would one of these work?
http://www.race-technology.com/data_loggers_8_920.html

~40lbs off the top of the car sounds good to me

Old 11-15-2008 | 02:52 PM
MINI_chili
3rd Gear
I just had a crazy idea (the kind I have most)
a 2 panel CF panel on the roof using a hand activated lever to use the front panel as an air-brake I'd definitely do it myself if my MINI wasn't my daily-driver

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Carbonized gone wild!