Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Paint headlight rings? Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:03 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WLSH BST
To get a satifactory finish you have to take the rings off the car, if you search there are several threads that cover how to do it. Just masking the car and spraying on the vehicle would not be good and would likely peel in no time as you're not able to rough up the chromo right down to the edge, and all it needs is an edge to start unravelling. The door handles are real time consuming to take off but its the only way - so the rings will be a cake walk in comparison.

As to the motorcycle vinyl film it stays in place by static not glue and for me I'd not be content with that, i'd have to have self adhesive clearbra like material. I dont want to be worried about losing the ring clearbra in a car wash or the likes.

If I had a black car or a car color with which vinyl style had a good color match I'd go with vinyl styles, it wont chip. However, I got the chilli red vinyl sample and it wasn't close enough of a match for me so I have to paint and clearbra.
You make a very good point. I haven't been cheap with the car up until now so why start with this? Looks like it's time to do my homework on ring removal. I think I even posted the links on doing it somewhere else.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name:  Mini026A2.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  82.7 KB

Go with red, black looks to 70's style

Old 07-23-2008, 09:43 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ oh yeah...I decided on red quite a while ago, it just looks right IMO.

and hemiheaded18 yes, remove the rings, don't even try to paint them on the car, it will not turn out looking remotely professional. I mean, you would fool many...but not the people that actually care, like yourself

Once I get my sample from Lyle, I'll check it out, hopefully its close enough for me, because I'd prefer to go this route instead. From close up my OEM, never removed hood scoop doesn't even match perfectly, it's about a shade dark and that doesn't get to me. I'll let you guys know, either way though, I plan to get it done.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Almost done! Final wet sanding and clear coating will get finished tonight. The paint from Minspeed is an exact match, very happy with it. Will give it a few days to cure before putting on the clear vinyl and getting the headlights back in Saturday.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Alright, finished putting everything back together last night. The clear static vinyl did not work, the only pieces with the vinyl are the flat headlight washers, the rings were too thin & difficult to make it work. Put a couple coats of wax on there now, will continue searching for a good clear adhesive type vinyl this week. I have the PhillyMINI meet this Sunday, so I needed to get it back together for that. Overall I am very happy with the results. Paint is from Minspeed.

before shot
Name:  S7004533.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  120.3 KB

after
Name:  S7005348.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  160.8 KB

Name:  S7005353.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  185.5 KB

Old 08-02-2008, 11:00 AM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Can some one point me towards a How to on removing the rings?

Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 AM
//MZero
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jahmills
Alright, finished putting everything back together last night. The clear static vinyl did not work, the only pieces with the vinyl are the flat headlight washers, the rings were too thin & difficult to make it work. Put a couple coats of wax on there now, will continue searching for a good clear adhesive type vinyl this week. I have the PhillyMINI meet this Sunday, so I needed to get it back together for that. Overall I am very happy with the results. Paint is from Minspeed.

before shot

after

It looks VERY nice man, good job and you say you've never painted before? Did you do the process that I layed out, or something a little different? Also, the paint from minspeed, did it come in a spray can, or did you have to have an air brush? Looking at yours, I may start getting everything together to do mine.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Yeah this was my first try at painting anything. I didn't sand the chrome all the way off, started out with a 320 paper, then used a glass bead machine I had access to, followed with some 600 grit hand sanding. Then three coats of self etching primer, and wet sanded that with 600 & 1000 grit. Four coats of color, more wet sanding, then three coats of clear coat. Yeah the Minspeed paint comes in a rattle can.

Littlehandegan, to remove the rings you first need to remove the headlights. Three nuts hold it to the hood, unplug the lights, remove the headlight washer nozzle if you have them, then remove the washer units from the lights, they just clip on. Then remove the two screws that mount the ballast unit on the bottom of the light so it can swing down, actually you need to that so you can have access to one of the mounting nuts. Then just lift the whole light assembly from the hood. The rings are held on the plastic lens with clips around the perimeter, just use a small flathead screwdriver and lightly pry away from the lens. The whole process is pretty easy once you start doing it, takes maybe 10 minutes at most to remove each light, and another couple of minutes to remove the rings.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 PM
COOPERPOOPER
1st Gear
Same Thing!

That is crazy! It took me forever to decide how to do mine as well - however in BRG... This was before the I sent the parts in to Vinyl Styles..
Name:  Pictures296.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  33.0 KB

Now I am just waiting for the parts to come back...

Name:  Pictures049.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  82.0 KB

I decided to put tint the headlights a light grey, Green the chrome headlight surrounds. Grill surround will be green with black slots. Beltline blackout kit. Green handles. Green Gas Cap. I should get the parts in by Tuesday and have pictures of the new look by then - I AM SO EXCITED!

Old 08-02-2008, 01:28 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I had my headlights rings, mirror caps, door handles, and gas door painted flat black but the stone chips were killing me, so I got them repainted dark silver.

Last edited by DarkMiniCooperS; 08-02-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:24 PM
dustinhxc
6th Gear
the red looks good! id like to do mine eb but i dont know how.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:20 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
very nice DMCs, thats a very clean car. i think id smoke the tails too, since it seems to be the only thing on your car not DS or black

Old 08-02-2008, 09:28 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
jahmills - the rings look great. When you get back from your mini meet did you get any chips without the clearbra?

darkmini - your body color rings look much better than your previous matt black

Old 08-02-2008, 10:51 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Anyone know where to find a DIY on removing the rings?

Old 08-03-2008, 09:08 AM
//MZero
4th Gear
Originally Posted by littlehandegan

Sorry I don't know where one is. But when the search function on these boards lets me down...and it normally does, I try my search on google and am normally able to find the thread ON THESE BOARDS that I'm looking for...quite ridiculous if you ask me...but

Old 08-03-2008, 10:34 AM
COOPERPOOPER
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AeroCooper
Sorry I don't know where one is. But when the search function on these boards lets me down...and it normally does, I try my search on google and am normally able to find the thread ON THESE BOARDS that I'm looking for...quite ridiculous if you ask me...but
Indeed. I just googled it, here is a great link:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co....php?p=2395420

Originally Posted by littlehandegan

Originally Posted by SnYpR
very nice DMCs, thats a very clean car. i think id smoke the tails too, since it seems to be the only thing on your car not DS or black
I agree 100%! This is by far my favorite look on the mini with any de-chroming. (still working on the rest of mine)

Name:  IMG_3550.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  37.3 KB

[QUOTE=DarkMiniCooperS;2402368]I had my headlights rings, mirror caps, door handles, and gas door painted flat black but the stone chips were killing me, so I got them repainted dark silver.

Your car is SICK!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 AM
dustinhxc
6th Gear
[quote=COOPERPOOPER;2403527]Indeed. I just googled it, here is a great link:

I agree 100%! This is by far my favorite look on the mini with any de-chroming. (still working on the rest of mine)

Name:  IMG_3550.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  37.3 KB

Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
I had my headlights rings, mirror caps, door handles, and gas door painted flat black but the stone chips were killing me, so I got them repainted dark silver.

Your car is SICK!
that actualSize sticker with the red s is sick!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
COOPERPOOPER
1st Gear
[quote=dustinhxc;2404888]
Originally Posted by COOPERPOOPER
Indeed. I just googled it, here is a great link:

that actualSize sticker with the red s is sick!!!!

eBay.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:48 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
jahmills - the rings look great. When you get back from your mini meet did you get any chips without the clearbra?
No, no chips or marks so far, but I only put about a 150 miles on this weekend, and only a little of that was high speed highway driving. Thinking about getting some 3M clear scotchcal, it's adhesive backed. Need to get it done before I head down to the Outer Banks in NC at the end of the month. Here are a couple more shots of the paint after two days of drivng, that Minspeed stuff is great, perfect color match, highly recommend it, for anyone who is going to paint them.

Name:  S7005568.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  S7005569.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  144.4 KB

Last edited by Jahmills; 08-05-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:01 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
I just installed blacked out headlamp rings by VinylStyles. Install was tedious but not too difficult.

Taking the headlights out of the bonnet was easy, and I have the xenons, so I have the HID unit to play with too. Taking the rings off is the only PITA part, as you need a small screw driver and patience, as you can chip the lens. The glue/tac that holds the rings to the lens makes getting the tabs off much more difficult.

I managed to break tabs on both of my rings so I couldn't send them back for the core charge return. The end result was great! The car looks MUCH different afterwards, especially since my car is JB with M7 ultimate grills.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:04 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
Jaymills - those close ups look great. What, tint film do you have on your headlight lens and does it reduce the brightness at night much. I haven't thought of doing that before but it reduces the chrome look even more, which is a plus, without having to fuss with an intrusive joey mod.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 PM
flaco
4th Gear
i done all of this before and you'll regret it

Old 08-06-2008, 05:28 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Jaymills - those close ups look great. What, tint film do you have on your headlight lens and does it reduce the brightness at night much. I haven't thought of doing that before but it reduces the chrome look even more, which is a plus, without having to fuss with an intrusive joey mod.
I have the lighter of the two LaminX tints. I had the tint before I did the Joey Mod in an effort to darken up the lights, then just left it on there after the Joey Mod. It does degrade the light output somewhat, and I have thought about removing it, but at this point my MINI is a garage queen, and I really only use it for fun on weekends.

Here is a pic of the lights pre Joey mod with just the tint.
Name:  Picture109.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  129.4 KB

now with the Joey Mod and painted rings.
Name:  S7005511.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  154.3 KB

Old 08-06-2008, 04:36 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by flaco
i done all of this before and you'll regret it
Flaco,

Thats a bit cryptic, please explain, share your experience.

Regards, Lee

Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=Jahmills;2408806]I have the lighter of the two LaminX tints. I had the tint before I did the Joey Mod in an effort to darken up the lights, then just left it on there after the Joey Mod. It does degrade the light output somewhat, and I have thought about removing it, but at this point my MINI is a garage queen, and I really only use it for fun on weekends.

Jahmills,

What was the % reduction in brightness from just the tints on the headlights and then how much more after joey mod?

Regards, Lee

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Paint headlight rings? Yes or No?