Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Calling all aftermarket seat installers!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008 | 08:35 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
I think the best mount for the seat belt receptacle is if it moves with the seat--that's how the Sparco works. I don't have complete for-aft movement but more than enough to fit most tall people--at least 6". I'd guess that if the seat belt stayed put as the seat slid it would make for some awkward seat belt positioning.
I'd agree that the belt receptacle should not be stationary

Old 06-30-2008 | 02:42 PM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Opps Sorry Sid...Maybe I saw a different Sparco? I noted some seat definately hit the B pillar!

Hope this didn't confuse anyone!

-C

Old 06-30-2008 | 02:53 PM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
I'd agree that the belt receptacle should not be stationary
No issues with the positioning of the belt across the waist region. The seat moves but not so much of a huge range of motion to go outside of the zone. A lot of cars (like most pre airbag and now with cars that do not have airbag seat) have fixed belt placement and the receptacle mounts to the floor. and the seat moves within an envelope. In this case with the MINI and any car (with airbag seats) I suspect that has AIRBAGS incorporated into the seat THEN you would want the belt receptacle to move with the seat to keep the occupant in a more "enclosed" envelope area within the "blast zone". Hence the charge "Canister" incorporated with the seat that would sycronize with the airbag discharge to retain you in the seat in relatively fixed position and drawing you "down" and "back". The Recaro, Sparco, etc has no built in Airbag to go off. Now the system is like one that has a stationary belt receptacle. In this case the unit mounts to the seat bottom that is mounted to the floor (keeping a height similiar to stock) and since it's disconnected now the canister will not go off.....Well shouldn't anyway!

Old 06-30-2008 | 02:58 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Chris...ot but is your email still the same? Check mailbox if it is...

Old 06-30-2008 | 03:12 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Originally Posted by CXRK
... In this case the unit mounts to the seat bottom that is mounted to the floor (keeping a height similiar to stock) and since it's disconnected now the canister will not go off.....Well shouldn't anyway!
I was following until this point. Are you saying you are not connecting the belt receptacle into the car circuits? If you don't do this, you'll get the seat belt warning light and bell going off constantly, won't you? I noted when I changed out my seats that there are 3 systems related to the seats:
1. airbags
2. seat belts
3. passenger weight detection

To avoid any lights you should deal with all 3 systems. If done correctly you will never get a warning light or error code wrt these systems.

Old 06-30-2008 | 03:57 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Phil...you need to bypass the side bags with 3-4ohm resistors (inserted into the connectors...one for each side)...check other threads regarding this as my memory is dissipating as I near five Oh...
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
I was following until this point. Are you saying you are not connecting the belt receptacle into the car circuits? If you don't do this, you'll get the seat belt warning light and bell going off constantly, won't you? I noted when I changed out my seats that there are 3 systems related to the seats:
1. airbags
2. seat belts
3. passenger weight detection

To avoid any lights you should deal with all 3 systems. If done correctly you will never get a warning light or error code wrt these systems.

Old 06-30-2008 | 04:00 PM
PGT
Banned
actually, my seats measured 2.3ohms at the yellow airbag connector. four 1/2w 10ohm resistors in parallel gets close enough and handles more heat than a single.

Old 06-30-2008 | 04:06 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I think I used 3ohm but regardless...make sure you curl the terminals so they jam into the female plugs tight and tape them on real good...once the bag lights come on, it's a trip to the dealership for reset...

Old 06-30-2008 | 04:38 PM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Yep Sid still the same! As for the resistors..Spot on...But I didn't have the proper resistors so...... A trip is needed when I figure out the correct resistors. WHICH I just found out! Thanks guys...1/2 watt and experiment. Each car seems to vary a bit. In my case I actually got hold of new plugs with pig tails so I can just wire the ends of the resistors into them and not plug into the slots in the female plug (attached to the harness from the car).

-C

Old 06-30-2008 | 06:36 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Yep Sid still the same! As for the resistors..Spot on...But I didn't have the proper resistors so...... A trip is needed when I figure out the correct resistors. WHICH I just found out! Thanks guys...1/2 watt and experiment. Each car seems to vary a bit. In my case I actually got hold of new plugs with pig tails so I can just wire the ends of the resistors into them and not plug into the slots in the female plug (attached to the harness from the car).

-C
LOL...you can afford to have your light reset while you're workn...

Old 07-01-2008 | 05:03 AM
PGT
Banned
In my case I actually got hold of new plugs with pig tails so I can just wire the ends of the resistors into them and not plug into the slots in the female plug (attached to the harness from the car).

-C
got an extra? I have one but I'd love to do the second that way

Old 07-22-2008 | 07:21 AM
djdport66
3rd Gear
Pictures of the airbag bypass for aftermarket seats?

[quote=MSFITOY;2336332]I think I used 3ohm but regardless...make sure you curl the terminals so they jam into the female plugs tight and tape them on real good...once the bag lights come on, it's a trip to the dealership for reset...[/quote

MSFITOY,

Any chance there is a picture of this? My 02's seat are in need of help and I would really like to go with the aftermarket version. But, like everyone else I don't want to screw the car up.

Thanks,
DJDport

Old 07-22-2008 | 07:41 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
[quote=djdport66;2379195]
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I think I used 3ohm but regardless...make sure you curl the terminals so they jam into the female plugs tight and tape them on real good...once the bag lights come on, it's a trip to the dealership for reset...[/quote

MSFITOY,

Any chance there is a picture of this? My 02's seat are in need of help and I would really like to go with the aftermarket version. But, like everyone else I don't want to screw the car up.

Thanks,
DJDport
I'm sorry but I didn't take any pictures but if I did it over again, I'd just cut off the female terminal end (wire coming out of the floor) and solder the resistors directly...

Old 07-22-2008 | 07:43 AM
PGT
Banned
that's what I did. It's hard to push four twisted ends of 1/2W resistors in that tiny plug

Old 07-26-2008 | 06:10 PM
jeff_scooper
|
1st Gear
Resistors for airbag trick

Which color plug do I need to fit resistors to? The picture below is of the passenger seat of my 2005 MINI. The wires from the blue and black connector go to the seat belt, which I'm keeping. I don't know where the wires from the white and yellow connectors go. The white connector has three wires and there is infinite resistance (open circuit?) between each pair of wires. The yellow connector has two wires, and no resistance is measured between the them. My driver's seat does not have the white connector, so I suppose the white connector is for the sensor that detects weight in the seat. Anyone know?

By the way, I bought a pair of seat brackets like CRXK has from Supreme Power. Unfortunately, the two plates where the sliders mount are twisted (this is a welded assembly), and when I tighten the sliders to the bracket, they jam and won't slide. Also, the Supreme bracket is 7/8" taller that the original brackets I got from Speedware. So I'm going to return the Supreme brackets and use the Speedware brackets. I'm fabricating a seat belt mount that will fit between the seat and slider so the seat belt clasp will slide with the seat. Will post pictures when I'm all finished. Whew, what a project!

Old 07-27-2008 | 07:39 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Youre right: the white is for the weight sensor. This is a very complicated device and I haven't heard of anyone "defeating" it--I cut the sensor from the original seat and installed it in my Sparco, so it works as intended and no lights. The yellow is for the airbags--this is the one you shunt the resistor pack to.

Old 08-29-2008 | 09:49 AM
BEAVR
3rd Gear
splicing a 4ohm resistor into the yellow plug worked fine for me disabling the airbag light. I do get 2 airbag codes ( MRS 03 and 61) from the belt tensioner and seat belt buckle switch. I can disable one of those by plugging the seat belt from removed seat into the opposite seat belt. But, I don't have a white plug at all. All three leads read as having 3 ohms going through them for me.
anybody have a part number for the pigtails or weight sensor? I don't really want to cut the sensor out of the seat.

Last edited by BEAVR; 10-28-2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added clarity