Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Joey-Mod ver. I can't believe I actually did it!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 PM
marco621
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Joey-Mod ver. I can't believe I actually did it!!

First and foremost I'd like to thank everybody that I PMed for help on this project. As said before by someone this mod really isn't that difficult, just intimidating. I'll try and do a quick summary of the taking apart of the lens.

I started prying the rings from the bottom being very careful not to break a tab. Once you've got the bottom and the two side tabs off the lens you can just push it up to release the top two tabs. After the chrome ring is off you are left with the lens.

I did not use the oven method. I went around the perimeter of the lens with a blow dryer on high for about 10-20 minutes. In between heating up the silicone I started to pry the lens apart from the housing slowly. If it wouldn't pry Id continue heating it up until it came apart easier. Everybody was right, the 05-06 xenons are cake to take apart.

After the lens is off, the main piece comes out fairly easily. Just be sure that the tabs that lock into the housing don't break. I had one or two stuck in the housing. Ooops.

After the main piece is out you're left with the projector lens. From the back of the headlamp, release the cover for the bulb. Take out the igniter, unscrew the locking mechanism that holds the bulb in place and then gently place the bulb in safe place. Behind the projector lens there are two very very small clips holding it in place. With a small screw driver you can unclip the tabs and the lens should now be released. After the chrome piece is out the smoke plastic is still intact. You can see from the back it is held in with another 3 clips. Unclip those and now you're ready to paint.

Sand, prime, and paint. I used Rust-Oleum High Temp Satin Black for the two chrome pieces. Re installation is the reverse of removal. Make sure all clips are clipped in before reattaching the headlamp lens. Removal of excess silicone would be a smart idea before attaching the lens, then adding more silicone to make sure it is all secure.

Removal of old headlamps requires you first to unclip the Washer, not too hard to figure out. I disconnected my battery before I unplugged the headlamp. Unbolt the (3) bolts holding the headlamp and one or two bolts for the ballast and take the light out. Re installation is pretty much the reverse of taking it out. Very simple.

Now for the pictures....

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Now I know I'll be hearing the comments on how the rings came out but let me explain first. I painted the chrome rings with a buddy of mine Saturday afternoon into Saturday night. We put the last coat of clear coat on about 12:30am. Fast forward to Sunday 5pm, we went to install the rings and headlamps. While installing the rings, trying to get the bottom clips on, my fingers smeared the paint! Guess it wasn't dry after 15 hours. The rings will have to be redone another day in time.

I'm just glad I got it all back together and everything worked!

Oh yea! After re installing the headlamps and connecting the battery, I couldn't unlock my doors with my key or by the toggle. Luckily the windows were down and the key worked to unlock it. After trial and error pulling out fuses, I found the fuse that blew. I forget which number it is but had the the icon of a P and a steering wheel. I don't know how that affected the locking mechanism but it worked after that.

So all and all not too difficult of a task. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it. I mean that. Besides this mod, the only other mods I've actually done myself were painting the gas cap, tint on the side repeaters, installing an ipod pro-clip and the belt line black out! That's it. So if Me, of all people, the most afraid to do any mod, can joey-mod our xenons, you can do it too!

Gotta have faith!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:47 PM
mr. jim
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job! I did mine over the winter and also painted the trim rings but the paint does not hold up at all. Too many chips from driving so I ordered some black vinyl and wrapped them and also did the gas cap while I was at it.

Attached Thumbnails Joey-Mod ver. I can't believe I actually did it!!-100_3253.jpg  
Old 07-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks awesome!
maybe i'll do this some day!
i really like how it looks...changes the entire car.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:38 PM
QandElf
Shadetree Modder
I don't know... my wife does prefer the look of the 05/06 headlights, but I somehow feel that makes MINIQue that much more special having the originals... that being said, I would like to de-chrome them down to an anthracite look...

Old 07-17-2008, 09:44 AM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
Originally Posted by marco621
First and foremost ................. Gotta have faith!
So, sort of off-topic; were the headlights just plug and play, or was there any special wiring that you had to do to get them to work? I think I remember somebody mentioning that a pin patter was different or something along those lines.

Also, did you purchase the '05+ headlights new from the dealer, or did you get them from elsewhere?

-Chase

Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 AM
marco621
3rd Gear
Since my car had xenons already the 05-06 were just plug and play. You run into problems going from halogen to xenon but if you search around I believe there was a fix. I purchased these xenons off of eBay. One came with a chrome ring and washer jet the other didn't have the washer or chrome ring. They show up from time to time on there. These were used of course but still work like a charm.

Originally Posted by chaseabryant
So, sort of off-topic; were the headlights just plug and play, or was there any special wiring that you had to do to get them to work? I think I remember somebody mentioning that a pin patter was different or something along those lines.

Also, did you purchase the '05+ headlights new from the dealer, or did you get them from elsewhere?

-Chase

Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations, welcome to the club.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:17 PM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Gearing up for my turn

Old 07-29-2008, 09:32 PM
mister wiggles
1st Gear
where were you able to find a set of OEM projectors to retrofit?

Nice job

Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 PM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Old 07-30-2008, 04:25 AM
marco621
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mister wiggles
where were you able to find a set of OEM projectors to retrofit?

Nice job
eBay, my friend, eBay. I first found the drivers side with the chrome ring attached then a few days later found the passenger side with out the chrome ring. I put that refund check to good use that's for sure.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:51 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
im going to be a jerk, and ask how much u paid for the separate lights...?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
i WISH i could do this awesome mod... BUT will never be able to do it as not good at car mods

Old 07-30-2008, 07:25 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ngweibing
i WISH i could do this awesome mod... BUT will never be able to do it as not good at car mods
then buy some.... I'll be selling mine before too long.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SnYpR
then buy some.... I'll be selling mine before too long.
Have you done yours in black? Do you have the projectors?

-Chase

Old 07-31-2008, 01:28 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Just remember before doing the Joey-mods:

The first gen is a PAIN IN THE ***! The 2nd gen is easy... This is due to the different glue used. I've done both. The 1st gen took an hour + per light just to get them open. The 2nd gen (facelift) took 5 minutes, and I could have done it without even using a stove if I wanted.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
marco621
3rd Gear
im going to be a jerk, and ask how much u paid for the separate lights...?
You're not being a jerk, just curious....

The first lamp I purchased was the Drivers side with chrome ring and washer jet but no chrome cover for the washer jet. The seller on eBay accepted my offer for a total with shipping of $350.00

The second lamp, the Passenger side came with no chrome rings or washer jet, I managed to get for $225.00 with shipping.

There are some minor scratches on the lamps but that's what you get when you buy used, right.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chaseabryant
Have you done yours in black? Do you have the projectors?

-Chase
yes mine are black, however..they are not the projector type. they are xenons that come on 02-04 models

Originally Posted by marco621
You're not being a jerk, just curious....

The first lamp I purchased was the Drivers side with chrome ring and washer jet but no chrome cover for the washer jet. The seller on eBay accepted my offer for a total with shipping of $350.00

The second lamp, the Passenger side came with no chrome rings or washer jet, I managed to get for $225.00 with shipping.

There are some minor scratches on the lamps but that's what you get when you buy used, right.
thanks for disclosing. Just wondering what I should expect to pay. I just bought a passenger side off ebay. its in flawless condition and got it for 300 shipped. now i just need to find a drivers side

Old 07-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Nice Job!

I'm still waiting for my vinyl rings.

Attached Thumbnails Joey-Mod ver. I can't believe I actually did it!!-img_0128.jpg  

Last edited by Minian; 07-31-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:31 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
is there a reason no one paints the chrome part between the high and low bulbs? the ridged part?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:08 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
I think that I read somewhere that it is a pain in the *** to tape off, and I think there may have been an issue with the chrome finish actually coming off...

It may have been discussed in one of the other joey mod threads...

-Chase

Old 08-01-2008, 02:11 PM
marco621
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mr. jim
Nice job! I did mine over the winter and also painted the trim rings but the paint does not hold up at all. Too many chips from driving so I ordered some black vinyl and wrapped them and also did the gas cap while I was at it.
Wow looks really good. How hard was it to cover the rings in vinyl doing it yourself?

Old 08-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Minian
5th Gear
is there a reason no one paints the chrome part between the high and low bulbs? the ridged part?
Yes! If you're impatient you don't want to take those pieces out. I took mine apart and knew I didn't want to take the other side apart. I am mechanically inclined, but if you are not you don't want to muck with it. Sanding the part correctly would also be a pain.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:05 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
im failing to see how to actually remove the chrome shroud that goes around the projector lens. i dont see any clips?

EDIT: nevermind, i wasn't aware that the chrome shroud clipped onto the projector lens. I saw a bunch of torx screws and assumed thats what was holding the cover on...nope...i actually removed the cut off shield for a few mins..shoulda cut it down while i had it out.

Last edited by MUShadd; 08-01-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:02 PM
theprezzz77
1st Gear
joey mod

that joey mod looks great, what style headlights are those?? i just finished a joey mod on my car...what do you all think??

Attached Thumbnails Joey-Mod ver. I can't believe I actually did it!!-img_0380.jpg  

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Joey-Mod ver. I can't believe I actually did it!!