Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Painted grill slats??pics?? ***UPDATED WITH FINISHED PICS***

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003 | 09:51 PM
chefrichie
|
4th Gear
I have a CR/B MCS and I'm thinking of painting the grill slats black leaving the chrome surround. I'm looking for something a bit different from both stock grills and aero grills. Has anybody seen or done anything like this?

I would love to see some pics if possible...

Old 08-29-2003 | 12:57 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
I have not seen this done, you might also check MINI2 and roadfly.
I did think of doing this but didn't do the painting. Just make sure that the paint job is durable- the grilles hit alot of debris and get worn out or pitted over time.

Another option is to get a digital photo and do some work with photoshop to imagine the desired effect.
Best of luck doing your mod to the grille.

Old 08-29-2003 | 04:48 PM
chefrichie
|
4th Gear
Before I paint them (IF I paint them...) I'm going to do a "mock-up" with wide electrical tape to see how I like it...

still very much in the HMMMMM

Old 08-29-2003 | 05:30 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
I just ordered "chrome" slats for my MCS from Ebay.
Instead of swapping out the Pure Silver slats I currently have.... I will cover these with chrome slats (similar to the chrome mirror caps or door handle protector covers).

It seems cheaper and easier than putting a MC chrome grille on.

They were $27 delivered ...and I should have em in a couple of days.

Peace,
D

Old 08-29-2003 | 08:42 PM
minicoop78
4th Gear
I have seen some race minis with this done in a few different colours
looked very cool i was thinking of doing mine black but have not yet
not sure where to see pics at but as long as you use good paint and a bunch of clear coat you wouldnt have a big problem with chips
good luck great idea

Old 08-30-2003 | 03:07 PM
rg
3rd Gear
Here's an idea for a longer term test and possible long term solution. how about covering the slats with the same type vinyl used for stripes. you can get this stuff at a sign shop. if it got dinged up you could just put a new piece over it. just a thought!

Old 09-03-2003 | 06:26 PM
chefrichie
|
4th Gear
::bumpity, bump, bump::

Old 09-03-2003 | 06:57 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
What about just getting a black MSC front grill from someone that has a different grill on their car? But trying the electrical tape or vinyl graphics would also be a great idea...and that way you would avoid rock chips that would be permanent. Good luck and post some shots of how it all turns out.

Old 09-06-2003 | 07:46 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
>>I just ordered "chrome" slats for my MCS from Ebay.
>>Instead of swapping out the Pure Silver slats I currently have.... I will cover these with chrome slats (similar to the chrome mirror caps or door handle protector covers).
>>
>>It seems cheaper and easier than putting a MC chrome grille on.
>>
>>They were $27 delivered ...and I should have em in a couple of days.
>>
>>Peace,
>>D

Hello all,

I was upset w/ the delay in delivery and wrote the owner of autogrilles an email explaining my issues.
I received... THREE ... return emails by the owner of autogrilles. To make a long story short....he would like to refund my pay-pal payment, as he did not want to business with a person like me. He also demanded an apology for my "outburst" as he called it.
Needless to say...I am no longer awtg my chrome grille slats and have already received my refund :smile:.
Ebay is sometimes ...a very strange environment :smile:

Peace,
D

Old 09-06-2003 | 11:32 AM
red03miniS
Banned
>>What about just getting a black MSC front grill from someone that has a different grill on their car? But trying the electrical tape or vinyl graphics would also be a great idea...and that way you would avoid rock chips that would be permanent. Good luck and post some shots of how it all turns out.

this is actually the best idea. i was thinking of painting my mcs scoop black, then i instead decided to buy a jet black scoop from a mcs owner

now its time to sell..cuz i got cf lol

Old 09-18-2003 | 04:17 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
>>>>I just ordered "chrome" slats for my MCS from Ebay.
>>>>Instead of swapping out the Pure Silver slats I currently have.... I will cover these with chrome slats (similar to the chrome mirror caps or door handle protector covers).
>>>>
>>>>It seems cheaper and easier than putting a MC chrome grille on.
>>>>
>>>>They were $27 delivered ...and I should have em in a couple of days.
>>>>
>>>>Peace,
>>>>D
>>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I was upset w/ the delay in delivery and wrote the owner of autogrilles an email explaining my issues.
>>I received... THREE ... return emails by the owner of autogrilles. To make a long story short....he would like to refund my pay-pal payment, as he did not want to business with a person like me. He also demanded an apology for my "outburst" as he called it.
>>Needless to say...I am no longer awtg my chrome grille slats and have already received my refund :smile:.
>>Ebay is sometimes ...a very strange environment :smile:
>>
>>Peace,
>>D

Here's an update 9/18/03

After all of the garbage that went down as stated above... I got home yesterday to find a package delivered from the company above with the chrome slats ... ROFL...ROFL...ROFL
So the bottom line is... Initially paid for the slats.... had my money refunded in full... and now rec'd a set for FREE!!!!!!!!!
Strange huh :smile:????

Peace,
D

Old 03-02-2004 | 05:30 PM
chefrichie
|
4th Gear
At long last Burnie's black grille is in place and I have the pics to prove it...enjoy! :smile: :smile: :smile:
I'd love to hear your feedback...

chef

Old 03-02-2004 | 05:54 PM
c615586
3rd Gear
Looks really good!

Old 03-02-2004 | 06:09 PM
buz
3rd Gear
Nice look and nicely done. Your whole package works well - stripes and grill.
The street name is a kick.
Are the ribs done yet?

Old 03-02-2004 | 06:16 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Mucho very nice.

Looks Kool

Old 03-02-2004 | 06:52 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Nice job! With all the grill mods going on you won't be able to tell a One from an S or an S from a Cooper....at least from the grills alone. In the end, who cares?...if its done tastefully.

Old 03-03-2004 | 08:32 AM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Looks great ! Thanks for posting. I've been toying with the idea for some time using Photoshop with my Chile Red S, rather unsuccessfully I would add.... :smile:

Old 03-03-2004 | 08:52 AM
CasaMini
2nd Gear
d-mini-ero,

You're probably better off not doing business with Autogrilles. Recently I was browsing thru ebay and saw their add for those chrome slats to fit over the grill when I noticed that the picture of the "before" MCS was my car. Those jag off's stole my picture and put their water mark on it. When I confronted them with it of course they denied stealing the picture saying that the owner of the picture gave it to them a long time ago. So when I told them they better be able to proof it, they took my picture off the add and replaced it with the current picture of the MCS in the snow.

Old 03-03-2004 | 08:59 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE

Old 03-03-2004 | 09:09 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Bueno.

Old 03-03-2004 | 09:27 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
I think the black and chrome bonnet grille works nicely with the black roof and black/white outlined racing stripe.
The lighter body colors and silvers would do well with the black and chrome grille while the darker body colors might do better with all black or all chrome as an option to the stock look.

Nice job and thanks for the pictures!

Old 03-03-2004 | 09:59 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
It looks better than the aerokit anygrille but worse than if you had just left it alone.

Old 03-04-2004 | 05:04 AM
Miniracer_03
2nd Gear
i have a couple of question fr the guys tat have painted the grill slats. how do you get them off? i was looking at the bottom ones, do you have to remove the bummper to get them off? thanks

Old 03-04-2004 | 10:15 PM
chefrichie
|
4th Gear
To get to the bottom slat I removed the bumper cover which allows you to pop loose the chrome surround. The slat itself is attached with double-sided foam tape and "peels" off with a little gentle tugging.

I've heard of people peeling off the slat from under the chrome piece, but it wasn't all that hard to remove/replace the bumper cover--1 hour tops. The top piece is a breeze, 11 zip nuts and Shazam!

Old 03-04-2004 | 11:45 PM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Sweet ride....looks great with the black grille.
Reminds me of another lovely car....(sigh)

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Painted grill slats??pics?? ***UPDATED WITH FINISHED PICS***