Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Plasticote ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 03:55 PM
jtack
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plasticote ?'s

I just plasticoted my headlight rings, side markers and Gas Cap. When I plasticoted "dipped" my tow hook it came out really really smooth. When I "sprayed" the other parts they came out really really nice but not smooth. More of a rougher finish. I dont mind and think it looks really good but am concerned with durability. I was thinking it will be more prone to "sluffing" off during washing, etc. Any comments?

Old 08-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
Post #8

Go to this NAM Thread, see post #8. Send the poster a PM, and see what luck he had......he used plastadip on lots of stuff including his front grill.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...me+depot+spray

Old 08-31-2008, 05:51 PM
jtack
4th Gear
I think I figured it out...it needs a really really thick cote to gel up. Goes against everything I know (which isnt alot) about painting....put it on THICK!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:59 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the price on this stuff? Home Depot, Lowes and Ace don't even list it on their website. I'm gonna get up early and run to the nearest Ace and check it out but I was curious as to what the spray can is gonna run.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Deuce_Coop
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hemiheaded18
What's the price on this stuff? Home Depot, Lowes and Ace don't even list it on their website. I'm gonna get up early and run to the nearest Ace and check it out but I was curious as to what the spray can is gonna run.
HD has it for about $4.50 s bottle. My store carries black, white and red.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:03 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hemiheaded18

I paid $5 or $6 at Lowe's.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:06 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Originally Posted by Deuce_Coop
HD has it for about $4.50 s bottle. My store carries black, white and red.
Originally Posted by Uber Blu - Erika
I paid $5 or $6 at Lowe's.
Thanks to both of ya! But one more question. Was this stuff in with paint or was it more with coatings or something like that? Granted, I could just ask at the counter but I'm a guy in a hardware store. We always have to look around for something we don't need.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:56 PM
jtack
4th Gear
I paid 7.00 a can at Ace. It was locked up in a case with the plasti dip cans used to dip tool handles.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:00 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Originally Posted by jtack
I paid 7.00 a can at Ace. It was locked up in a case with the plasti dip cans used to dip tool handles.
Nice, thanks. I'll walk in and BS around for a few minutes. If I don't find it on my own and no one asks me, I'll go to the desk.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:14 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all of my sprayed items came out just as smooth as my tow hook that i actually dipped. i'm not sure about ACE, but in lowes and home depot they stock it with the rest of the spray paint. i've had platidip parts on my car since about april or so....almost 5 or 6 months. and showing no signs of failing.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:07 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The Home Depot and Lowes around here didn't have Plasti Dip spray. But I can buy it online here.

I'll try Ace sometime this week.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:13 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
My local Ace had it this morning. Yeah, for 8.50/can. After buying the last 2 (didn't know how much to get) and a roll of painter's tape, I ended up spending $20. Anyway, my door handles look great and the rear hatch handle cover looks decent but the rings ended up looking like poo so I just gave up after doing it all day long. I did end up leaving the light washers covered, though. Looks funny and kinda strange with just the washers painted. I can't decide if I want to live with just this, get wrapped light rings, or live with this until I can get everything wrapped when and if Lyle comes to Philly. I guess that's my best bet for the best looks.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:14 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Before:
After:

Old 09-01-2008, 06:23 PM
jtack
4th Gear
nice door handle! Did you have any problem removing the masking tape and not taking the paint with it? What was your technique for removing the tape. I did my gas door cover, headlight rings and side markers. I ended up doing the gas cap and one headlight ring once, the other headlight ring and the side markers took me 3 times to get it right. The first time there were lots of tiny bubbles, I removed and started over two more times. The third time I got good coverage and a smooth finish. Everything looks good now. I did my belt line and also removed my alta exhaust and shot that with high temp black matte. This week I will do my door handles and that will be all chrome gone!!!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:31 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Originally Posted by jtack
nice door handle! Did you have any problem removing the masking tape and not taking the paint with it? What was your technique for removing the tape. I did my gas door cover, headlight rings and side markers. I ended up doing the gas cap and one headlight ring once, the other headlight ring and the side markers took me 3 times to get it right. The first time there were lots of tiny bubbles, I removed and started over two more times. The third time I got good coverage and a smooth finish. Everything looks good now. I did my belt line and also removed my alta exhaust and shot that with high temp black matte. This week I will do my door handles and that will be all chrome gone!!!!!
I had a little trouble with the tape on the handles but not much. I would remove whatever tape was top away from the handle and work my way in basically. There's 1 or 2 small spots on the driver's side handle where the paint lifted slightly but I was able to kinda push it back into place becuase it was in that stretchy phase yet. Did you completely remove your rings and hit them off the car or did you do like I did and leave them on?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 PM
ih8cornnuts
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
As with any painting (like in your house) remove the tape while the paint is wet and you shouldnt have an issue. If you spray it in coats use an x-acto to trim it.

I used to build visual prototypes for consumer products and to simulate rubber I used this stuff many of times but always had issues with the "dip" and air bubbles, while the spray works great all the time. I've always had better luck building up layers rather than spraying it on real thick (creates air bubbles). Sometimes this stuff is in the paint dept's and sometimes in the tool dept's

Old 09-02-2008, 06:03 AM
jtack
4th Gear
I took them off the car. Mine came off very easy and did not break any tabs. Used a small flat head screwdriver and wedged it between the tab and the headlight plastic. They popped off very easy.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:04 AM
jtack
4th Gear
Oh and thank you both for the tips on getting the tape off!