Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Magnetic Bonnet Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003 | 07:33 PM
DSA
|
3rd Gear
Well I am new here so forgive me if this has been covered befor but I am exstatic about my new magnetic bonnet stripes. I like so many of you was not sure id I wanted to spent the 80.00 plus installation on bonnet stripes only to like is better with out. The bonnet looks so good naked but to my joy I found the removable one on EBAY for $39.00 shipped. They arrived in 2 days, I washed and waxed my mini and applied them and WOW they are awosome. Best of all if I want to go with out I just peel em off.

I have and EB /Black-top so my stripes are black with silver pinstripes. I jusst wanted to share the good news with you all.

The only downfall would be if my Mini S were to get dirty or sand got under them but as careful as I am I wont let that happen.

Give me your thoughts on this issue

Also I can now make em easily useing these as a template and change the stripe to checkers or what ever suits my fancy.

Happy Motoring

null

Old 09-06-2003 | 07:39 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
I have a UJ Sunroof decal. Not magnetic but a cling vinyl type that is removeable. Not as easy to install as magnetic, but I love being able to change the look of my MINI by just peeling off some decoration.

Don't worry yourself to much about dirt under the magnets. Just make sure the bonnet is clean and the magnetic surface is clean and it will be a non-issue.

Old 09-06-2003 | 07:41 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Oh, and welcome to MCO! You will find lots of great friends here as well as more MINI related info you could ever possibly read!

Old 09-07-2003 | 01:29 AM
cooperhiker
1st Gear
i tried them.. sent them back..
i followed directions to the T.
still, when i took them off, there was a shadow/fossil/"ghosting" footprint
of where the stripes were.
i was really shocked.
i finally was able to get the shadowing off with a swirl away type product.
i sent them back and now have vinyl graphics.

Old 09-07-2003 | 06:31 AM
DSA
|
3rd Gear
How long were they on your bonnet yikes!

Old 09-07-2003 | 06:46 AM
C4
Banned
>>How long were they on your bonnet yikes!

Forget about magnetic stripes or flags. Great idea, poor execution. I was going to order some magentic "Tiles" from http://www.mini-stuff.com to emulate a checkered roof pattern flag, but other posters adviced me against them. The material used on the magnetic part of the piece that makes contact with the sheetmetal, virtually COOKS onto the clearcoat either under direct sunlight or by virtue of the engine's heat. This creates GHOSTHING of the clearcoat which is difficult to remove. For that reason alone, unless the vendor can certify the material will not cook under the sun, then forget about them.

Also the magnetic bonnet stripes tend to fly out of the car at highway speeds.

Great concept that still needs major work to be marketeable.

Old 09-07-2003 | 08:05 AM
cooperhiker
1st Gear
how long were they on and i saw the "ghosting" on the car?
only like six or seven hours
very short time.

Old 09-08-2003 | 08:55 AM
BearX220
3rd Gear
DSA, I too bought the magnetic stripes off e-Bay for about $39, was meticulous about putting them on the MINI correctly (washing the car first, etc.)... and the first time I drove about 50mph, one stripe flew off and disappeared forever.

The vendor sent me a replacement, but the stripes are definitely more for show than go. AND I never leave them on for more than an hour or two -- I'm worried about marring my Velvet Red paint.

Old 09-08-2003 | 11:50 AM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
>>I have a UJ Sunroof decal. Not magnetic but a cling vinyl type that is removeable. Not as easy to install as magnetic, but I love being able to change the look of my MINI by just peeling off some decoration.
>>
>>Don't worry yourself to much about dirt under the magnets. Just make sure the bonnet is clean and the magnetic surface is clean and it will be a non-issue.
>>
>>

YuccaPatrol, with your static cling vinyl have you had any trouble with (1) the thing unpeeling and flying off at high speeds? or (2) any shadow/ghosting effect after removal?

Old 09-08-2003 | 06:27 PM
DSA
|
3rd Gear
Well I didnt know about this and left them on all weekend in the sun no doubt and no ghosting or fading my MINI is EB You guys scared the **** out of me with this stuff. I guess the wax helped out I have no side effects from them cruised all weekend long. I will be careful and the seller stated not to wear them in humidity ect.

The are very cool

Old 09-08-2003 | 08:11 PM
lefco11
1st Gear
At the risk of sounding self-serving, I sold DSA his magnetic stripes, and I can say I have confidence in my product. I can't speak for others who have made magnetic stripes (I did not make the ones that flew off at 50 mph), but I can tell you about my product, and the materials they are made from. I use flexible magnetic sheeting that is manufactured for use on vehicles. The manufacture recommends certain care and cautions, all of which I pass on to the purchaser. My stripes have never flown off at any speed. In fact, I just received an email from a satisfied customer in Germany who told of driving 115 mph for one hour on the autobahn, and my stripes stayed put. If you follow the instuctions, you should not experience "ghosting" or any other damage to your paint. While "ghosting" can occur if the stripes are left on too long, in the rain/humidity, or in intense heat, it will go away on it's own (although admittedly, it's scary to see marks on your beautiful bonnet). Based on my research, and countless conversations with manufactures and long-time users of this magnetic material, the greatest risk I was cautioned about is to avoid leaving the magnet on for a year or more, because it will bond with the vehicle and not come off. There is a car bra on the market (MagnetBra may be the name) that has been using the same material for some time, apparently without problem.
Magnetic stripes are not designed to go on and stay on, if that's what you want, go with vinyl. They are a fun way to change your look, and to try different looks without commitment. They can be custom made to match your team colors, for game day (I did a pair for an Ohio State fan, to match the stripe on the OSU helmets). I've got several pairs, and change them often, or go without (I like the clean look).
These stripes are fun, and if the instructions are followed, no harm will result.
Cheers.