Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Check Out Dr Evil's New Shoes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:14 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I like the caps

Though I wish you had a little wider angle view so we could get the whole effect with the paint color, etc...

Old 11-30-2008, 06:26 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah. Well... I took one. Only it didn't come out very well once I got a good look at it on the computer so I deleted the image.

I'll get a better one soon.

And thanks. Wish I had all the UJs on the car on black and red.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Easy to fix. Just time and money.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 PM
polepino
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there any official thread on how to remove the stock wheel caps?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:58 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Depends on the wheels you're talking about - Some OEM wheels have a large center "hubcap" that covers the lugnuts - you remove that with a screwdriver. On the wheels that have the round black "MINI" centercaps, the only way I've found to remove them without damage to the wheel is to remove the wheel, then push the cap out from the back.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:47 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Easy to fix. Just time and money.
I'm more worried about the time than the money. Custom graphics from Mike... during the holiday season...

Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 PM
polepino
4th Gear
Depends on the wheels you're talking about - Some OEM wheels have a large center "hubcap" that covers the lugnuts - you remove that with a screwdriver. On the wheels that have the round black "MINI" centercaps, the only way I've found to remove them without damage to the wheel is to remove the wheel, then push the cap out from the back.

I'm not sure which one you are talking about but I have the stock R84 V-Spokes that came with my '05 MCS, you can see them in my pictures or signature. Can you help determine from that knowledge? I heard there was a special tool in the MINI toolbag that came with the MCS but I haven't had a chance to look.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
There should be a black block of styrofoam beside your battery in the battery box in the rear. This contains some tools. One of them is a little wire loop used for hooking in a small hole on the cover and pulling it out, IIRC.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
In my '04 the MINI tool kit was in the cubby on the driver's side of the boot. There is indeed a small tool - a loop with a small 'L' shape at the end. Stick it in one of the holes in the X lite lug cover and pull.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:04 PM
polepino
4th Gear
There should be a black block of styrofoam beside your battery in the battery box in the rear. This contains some tools. One of them is a little wire loop used for hooking in a small hole on the cover and pulling it out, IIRC.
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
In my '04 the MINI tool kit was in the cubby on the driver's side of the boot. There is indeed a small tool - a loop with a small 'L' shape at the end. Stick it in one of the holes in the X lite lug cover and pull.
Thanks guys! I've been wondering what'd it be like to roll around with out my lug nut covers for a while.

Are there any downsides to driving around with my nuts showing(pun intnded), besides the fact that now someone can take my wheels easier? Do the lugs rust easily? I also noticed inside the central hole there seems to be some kind of sticky substance, lubricant maybe? Would exposing the center hole not be good because of this?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:24 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Not really an issue. Lots of styles of MINI wheels have exposed lugs.

The center is where the hub bearing lives - what you see is bearing grease. Most guys run "capless" for track days... and some folks run capless all the time with no ill effects AFAIK... it's not easy for grit to work its way through all that grease into the bearing... but personally I prefer to have the bearing area capped on the street to avoid potential grit contamination...

Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 AM
polepino
4th Gear
Not really an issue. Lots of styles of MINI wheels have exposed lugs.

The center is where the hub bearing lives - what you see is bearing grease. Most guys run "capless" for track days... and some folks run capless all the time with no ill effects AFAIK... it's not easy for grit to work its way through all that grease into the bearing... but personally I prefer to have the bearing area capped on the street to avoid potential grit contamination...
Ahh I see. Yeah, I think I will invest on those smaller caps. Rather be safer than sorryer.