Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior seat covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 07:48 PM
GRENDEL
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.K. stupid question time. I have 03 MCS with leaterette interior and live in SoCAL. I'm fine with the look and feel of the interior but, the seats make my back sweat badly even with the AC on. Does anybody have this problem or a solution. I was thinking about getting neoprene seat covers but don't know if this will improve or worsen the problem Diamond has some ones I like but it isn't worth it if doesn't improve this. I have had people with the leather seats that rode in my car say that it is worse than their cars. any help

Old 09-16-2003, 06:37 AM
markvibari
2nd Gear
From what I've read, the problem with aftermarket seat covers is that they won't work with the MINIs airbag system. The OEM seatcovers are designed with seams that will tear when the airbag inflates.

Old 09-16-2003, 06:54 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
I've sat on neoprenee and I really don't thinkit s any cooler,, go cloth for a cooler comfort.. I have leather and love it, haven't had any heat problems yet...

Old 09-16-2003, 07:11 AM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
I've ordered the Diamond neoprene seat covers for bloo and I should have them in about three weeks. I'll let you guys know how they look and feel. I also have the leatherette interior but even here in the Miami heat and humidity, I haven't had much of an issue with sweat. I just want to preserve the seats as best as possible. Had an '85 Prelude with seat covers for almost all of its life and sold it at 10+ years after 200,000 miles+. The seats looked brand new and helped resale a bunch.

I didn't ask about the seat air bags but I think they have adjusted for them (I hope). The pictures in the website look like they have velcro in the area where the bags deploy. (Don't ask me how I know where the bags deploy )

Once they're in I'll take a piccy and post to show how they look.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:28 AM
Marcomini
2nd Gear
A company called Wet Okole makes some great neoprene covers for MINI's. Complete with MINI graphics, and complimentary piping. They look great ,and if i'm not mistaken consider openings for the air bags. A little pricey, but great quality.

http://www.wetokole.com/

Old 10-02-2003, 09:49 AM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
OK, got'im yesterday and put them on. They look great although the electtric blue color is slightly off, they still look great. No too bad to install, tho. I ordered them though Diamond but they were marked as Wetokole. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow and post.

As far as the airbags are concered, they have openings on the sides where they will presumably pop out through. Don't want to actually find out if they do actually.

The covers help a little with cushioning the performance seats and really hold you in place in cornering Next paycheck perhaps.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:51 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lectricbloo- does that seat cover coverup the entire back of the front seats too?
i got some scratches on the back of the front seats i wanna cover up too.

thanks, :smile:

Old 10-03-2003, 09:09 AM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
Yeah, I hear ya. The kid's feet tend to scratch the rear of the seats. Yes, the covers do cover the rear and look OK doing so. The bad thing is they also don't allow you to use the rear seatback netting to hold things so you do lose some storage if you use them.

BTW, I forgot my camara so pictures will have to wait til this w/e. Sorry.

Old 10-04-2003, 06:48 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
>>Yeah, I hear ya. The kid's feet tend to scratch the rear of the seats. Yes, the
>>BTW, I forgot my camara so pictures will have to wait til this w/e. Sorry.

lectricbloo- exactly! :smile: also, how much and where/who did you buy from?

Old 10-07-2003, 01:04 PM
DanBrady
1st Gear
I got the MINI seat covers put on because my butt was overheating with the leather. Sort of expected that; my other cars have had similar breathing issues on leather seats, all of which seems to get better as the leather breaks in over time. So I plan on using the covers for the first few years, then enjoying the more breathable leather after that.

One thing I regret is *not* anticipating the bright white labels that came on the covers. Didn't see them until after the covers were installed, and it's a real pain to try and remove them after the fact without damaging the stiching of the seams. So if you opt for factory, be sure to request that the installers remove any tags/labels prior to putting them on...

Old 10-07-2003, 01:34 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
If you think about it neoprene is only a different name for a rubber. This will only make you sweat because of lack in ventilation between your back and the seat. I would try a cloth type or something like the little wooden ball type. It will give air between your back and the seat.

Old 10-07-2003, 04:43 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
guys, where can i go to find more info on these seat covers? id like to get one myself. :smile:

yah leather is real nice n' all to look at and feel, but sometimes it gets too
hot and too cold. cloth is well liked especially in the winter time. :smile:

Old 10-08-2003, 06:23 AM
inioway
6th Gear
As my first grade teacher told me when I asked why I had a belly button, no question is dumb (well, maybe), but yours sure wasn't. Glad you and other considered the need for a vent for the airbags.

I will have the opposite problem since I live in the frigid North. I haven't had problems with sweat and decided to put up with the cold when I found it was too late to add the cold pack. and love my leatherette enough not to want to cover it. I'm looking for a CR fleece stadium blanket just plop on the seat when needed. Sloppy, yes, but I yam what I yam.

Another alternative, of course, is to move North far enough that you never sweat again...naw, bad idea.

Maybe I can find a CR fleece stadium blanket...

Add me to those anxious to see pics.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:48 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I always keep a light blanket in the car, but not to sit on. She-Who-Cannot-Be-Denied gets a bit chilled sometimes. Here in the midwest, I think the leatherette performs very well.

God speed.

Old 10-13-2003, 01:52 PM
akajoker
2nd Gear
Here is the info for the WET OKOLE seat covers. The main factory is in Costa Mesa California between San Diego and LA. They will instill the covers for free if you go to the warehouse. The base price for the seat covers is $240.00 for front buckets or rear bench.

I will be getting some for Christmas.

WETOKOLE.COM
1- 888- 24- OKOLE
WET OKOLE
Costa Mesa, CA

Old 10-13-2003, 02:00 PM
Bcooper56
Banned
Bloo, do you have any pictures and cost of the covers? I live in Napa Valley, so heat is not so much of a concern as is keeping the seats looking neat and tidy. :smile:

-Barry

Old 10-14-2003, 01:05 PM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
Yeah..........about thoses pictures........

Dang, 40 years old and already showing signs of alheimers.........

I daresay I shall again try to remind myself and post the said piccys tomorrow.
Sorry blokes.

Old 10-15-2003, 05:06 PM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
OK, got the piccys. Look great, actually. I know this is stupid, but...........

HOW IN BLAZES DO YOU POST THE PICCYS?????????

Old 10-16-2003, 10:52 AM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
OK here goes: These are the front and back of the Wet Okoles.

and

Hope it works.

Old 10-16-2003, 10:55 AM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
Shall we try that again?

Old 10-16-2003, 10:58 AM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
OK, moderator, what am I doing wrong?

Moron needs a little assist, please.

Never mind. Fixed it!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2003, 02:48 PM
GRENDEL
3rd Gear
I saw them at the LB poker rally. the fit was nice and tight, no sagging. I definately like the look and will probably purchase when it gets warmer.

Old 10-27-2003, 08:41 PM
earlax
Neutral
hey bloo ... those are nice looking seat covers, but do they cover up the adjustments? Can you stay comfortable?

looks like i may go for those instead of the factory covers. i've gotta protect my seats and get some color to the interior.

Old 10-27-2003, 08:59 PM
MINIangelD
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hello ... I live in Hawaii, and got some Wet Okole seat covers a couple of months ago. My MCS had leather seats which really made me sweat quite a bit, and, well, the neoprene is even worse. Hawaii, of course, is always warm and humid, so it's just something I've had to get used to. The seat covers look *really* sharp, but I do wish I had looked into getting some cloth covers before buying the neoprene.

If you want a "breathable" fabric on your seat covers, I would recommend going with a few layers of something absorbent. Maybe get one or two sets of cheap cotton covers (if there is such a thing) and make sure the "show" cover is also at least a cotton blend. Of course, these would all have to be tailored with the air bags in mind.

Just my two cents.

MINIangelD

Old 10-29-2003, 11:28 AM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
No, they don't cover the adjustments. In fact they tuck into the plastic "frames"on the seat bottoms for a very clean look.

Yup, its hot and humid here in Miami as well. Most of the time I have my windows up and a/c on so I don't notice if the seats would be too uncomfortable in the heat. I do know that after going to the beach it felt good knowing we were protecting the seats and it didn't matter if our suits weren't completely dry :smile:

The seats also offer a couple of plus features. 1) a little cushiony effect and 2) keeping you in the seat in the twisties. You don't tend to slide around at all with these babies on.

There is no sagging. The fit is tight. It is a little pricey , but the colors do help dress up the interior. On the nifty side you can also option them to include the MINI logo.

The Transporter. Rule #1.........

2003 MCS EB/W

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior seat covers