Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Correct Me If I'm wrong in HID Retrofitting

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008 | 10:45 PM
MrCooperS
|
Correct Me If I'm wrong in HID Retrofitting

I have a 04 MCS with Halogen lights and looking for a good way to get HID's without blinding others.

I know about the OEM way...getting the OEM 02-04 or 05+ Xenon kit and then retrofitting them, but it is way too expensive for me. I also like the aftermarket look more.

Is it possible for me to...

Purchase a eBay Halo Head light Kit (NON-HID) ($160 to 170)

Purchase a TSX HID Projector Housing or any other HID Projector Housing that could fit. ($50 to $60 just the housing)

Purchase a aftermarket HID conversion kit (S2R Kit). ($80 to $150)

And put that all together? From all my research from NAM. I know a HID conversion kit behind a halogen projector would scatter the light rendering it ineffective. So if I was to change the halogen projector to a HID projector and use an aftermarket HID kit, the light wouldn't scatter? Am I correct? or just dead wrong?

------------------------------------------------

Another way I thought of was just buying an entire TSX HID Kit (with ballast, bulb, housing and etc.) and retrofitting that into my current OEM 04' head lights but the entire TSX HID kit would run be anywhere from $500 to $600. And I would much rather do that on aftermarket headlights with the halo.

Any opinions. Comments? I did a lot of searching before I wrote this thread. Any questions I ask, I actually tried to answer through searching before I posted.

Last edited by MrCooperS; 11-10-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2008 | 10:38 AM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
Honestly, I would keep an eye out for '03/'04 Xenon Headlights on ebay, or here. I recently upgraded to '05/'06 Xenons, and sold my old style xenons for $150.00

If anything, I would suggest finding something designed to project Xenon light.

If you are considering the TSX projectors, have a look at Burley's thread. There is a lot of work that has to go into retrofitting, plus, you have to find something to work as a shroud. Burley's thread gives a lot of important information.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ght=Burley+TSX

Unfortunately, good lighting does not come cheap, and it is something that you really shouldn't cheap out on.

-Chase

Old 11-10-2008 | 10:47 AM
MrCooperS
|
Burley's thread was what inspired me to do this. I actually PM'ed burley with some questions.

I don't like the style of the olden Xenons. The 05+ Xenons are too expensive and I really dig the look of the aftermarket projector lights. The TSX projectors are not cheap. I might try to score the OEM ballast and bulb for them, if not then a aftermarket S2R HID kit.

Last edited by MrCooperS; 11-10-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2008 | 06:31 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Originally Posted by itsminidrmer
I have a 04 MCS with Halogen lights and looking for a good way to get HID's without blinding others.

I know about the OEM way...getting the OEM 02-04 or 05+ Xenon kit and then retrofitting them, but it is way too expensive for me. I also like the aftermarket look more.

Purchase a TSX HID Projector Housing or any other HID Projector Housing that could fit. ($50 to $60 just the housing)

Purchase a aftermarket HID conversion kit (probably H7). ($80 to $150)

And put that all together? From all my research from NAM. I know a HID conversion kit behind a halogen projector would scatter the light rendering it ineffective. So if I was to change the halogen projector to a HID projector and use an aftermarket HID kit, the light wouldn't scatter? Am I correct? or just dead wrong?

------------------------------------------------

Another way I thought of was just buying an entire TSX HID Kit (with ballast, bulb, housing and etc.) and retrofitting that into my current OEM 04' head lights but the entire TSX HID kit would run be anywhere from $500 to $600. And I would much rather do that on aftermarket headlights with the halo.

Any opinions. Comments? I did a lot of searching before I wrote this thread. Any questions I ask, I actually tried to answer through searching before I posted.
My Jag came through with Proj style Halogens. And when I added a Xenon kit, I found that it was Xenon prepped from factory. It had a pre-existing shaped metal heat shield pop riveted in that sort of blocked the top portion of the round lens. It gave the beam of light a clear line of definition where it hit the ground....basically, the light emitted was only permitted out the bottom portion of the lens.....hope this makes sense...

Old 11-10-2008 | 11:41 PM
MrCooperS
|
Yeah that makes sense. But what I've learn from another member here (burley) is that some projectors are sharper and clearer than others. Also a lot of members claim that these after market headlights are good for HID Xenons because the stock projectors are crap.

If nobody has any other input, I guess I'm just going take the risk and try this out for myself when Jan. rolls around.

My steps would be (in case any one is following)
-Buying the after market head lights and take it apart.
-Measuring the projector sizes and hopefully the TSX would fit them as the TSX is known to be good projectors.
-Buy the best fitting HID Xenon projector.
-Buy the right HID conversion kit that fits the projector...S2R, H4, H7...etc.

And then put it all together. Hopefully that would work out...

Old 11-11-2008 | 10:33 AM
DarthbladerNI
1st Gear
you can buy the aftermarket halo projector lights that have the proper rounded glass on it.
Then put an HID kit in. it will be legal once they are alligned properly and will light up the road properly BUT you wont have the washers!!
Not having the washers is illegal in the UK, would someone like to shed a light on this matter in the states??

Old 11-11-2008 | 11:57 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by itsminidrmer

Purchase a aftermarket HID conversion kit (S2R Kit). ($80 to $150)

And put that all together?

It sounds like your willing to spend $400-600 dollars to retrofit an aftermarket solution that wont look OEM at all. And im sorry but in my opinion those eBay Halos are too cheap and ricey looking. Your going to spend about the same as OEM HIDs and have to do ALOT more work disassembling and reassembling. I would just get some 05+ HIDs and call it a day.

Old 11-11-2008 | 12:16 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by IrishCooper
It sounds like your willing to spend $400-600 dollars to retrofit an aftermarket solution that wont look OEM at all.
Actually the projector retrofit would perform much better than stock if he went that route and got the right projectors. Those TSX projectors would be much better than the stock MINI projectors. And the OEM look is entirely up to ingenuity and skill. I've seen some retrofits that looked more OEM than the OEM HIDS If you do them right, they will look great and won't stick out too much compared to any stock headlight. Granted, if you don't do all the necessary work, it WILL look out of place.

Examples of aftermarket projector retrofits that look very clean and OEM

Old 11-11-2008 | 04:42 PM
MrCooperS
|
wow those lights on the subie looks great! did you do those yourself?

From what I've seen, the OEM HID's on a MINI don't look sharp enough for me. Also I think it's the third time I mentioned...I like the aftermarket look? The 05+ look isn't bad either, but I'm not going to spend that much money on headlights that I wouldn't be happy with. The aftermarket headlights are already joey modded which is a big plug. I just have to retrofit the TSX projector (if it fits, I'm hoping it does) and black out the rings.

Old 11-11-2008 | 05:00 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
No those images aren't my projects. They are various builds from hidplanet.com's forums

Old 11-13-2008 | 12:26 AM
MrCooperS
|
This is what I gathered, and hopefully I can put it all together and make it work. Does anyone have any opinions on why this won't work or anything I should keep in mind with this?

Joey Modded aftermarket Halo Projectors
http://www.neweggmall.com/Product/20...0/product.html

TSX Projectors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...Q5fAccessories

D2R HID conversion kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Slim-...Q5fCarQ5fTruck

Am I missing anything else?

Old 12-08-2009 | 04:06 PM
burley
6th Gear
Hey, looks like this thread is a bit old, but how'd the project go?

Old 12-08-2009 | 04:31 PM
MrCooperS
|
LOL, I've been busy with other projects, that I totally forgot about this. I will do that one day...eventually. But since then, I've done the other mods in my signature.

Old 12-08-2009 | 08:59 PM
burley
6th Gear
I didn't see HID retrofit in your "next mods" category

Old 12-08-2009 | 09:22 PM
MrCooperS
|
lol that's not a mod, it's a Project.