Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior MINIUSA offering free cup holders....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 05:19 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my MINI in today for service and was looking at the new shipment of MINI's on the lot, Each one had the add-on cup holder on the passenger side down tube. Well, I went back in to the service desk and asked why every new MINI is getting the new cup holder. Well, it appears that MINIUSA is giving them to new owners for cars built between Sept 2003 and Feb 2004. I asked them why they did not offer it to the people that have been complaining about it, there response was that it is a test to see how they like it. I asked the price and they are $35.00, so I really wanted one and they sold it to me for $30.00 what a rip-off. But it was better than the other options.

Any thoughts from the rest of you........

Dave

Mini-Rolls

Old 09-19-2003, 07:19 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
I don't know if you want thoughts on the cup holder or the the fact that they're including them with the 2004 models, but here are some thoughts on the cup holder:

Link

Personally, I see the inclusion of them in the 2004 models as a bonus for future buyers, not as a slap in the face to previous buyers. We got the cup holders that were in the car when we test drove them - we were promised nothing more.

When any car maker adds a new feature to a new year model, do they automatically retrofit that feature to everyone who bought that model previously - free of charge? Of course not.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:00 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scooterboy, you're right. Even though the introduction of the rear fog lights to the US is happening soon, if you want it retrofitted to your current MINI, you'll have to pay for it.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Pebbles
6th Gear

It's sort of like the Dental insurance my company has. 3 years ago I had some work done that was not covered, I paid some big bucks. Then 2 years ago the company agreed to pay more and cover more items. Now that very same oral surgery is covered by a co-pay. Well, yes, I'd love for them pay me back but it won't happen, but it is progress because our company's insurance now coveres many additional things.

I see this as moving forward. it seems there's an honest effort to please the American buyer who wants cup holders.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:19 AM
red03miniS
Banned

>>I see this as moving forward. it seems there's an honest effort to please the American buyer who wants cup holders.

i whole heartedly agree with pebbles, as usual :smile:

sure it would be nice if they gave us the free cupholder to the older owners. but that will probably not happen. actually i am happy with the mini mug they sent me a while back, i use that as a decoration piece. i have never drink in the mini anways, so it doesnt really bother me :smile:

Old 09-20-2003, 02:26 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
I am not saying i did not pay for it and would only want it for free. I bought one. What I stressing is that they are providing them as test to see if owners would like them, so whay not offer the test to the owners that already purchased a MINI and have complained about the cup holders. The cars they are going in are 2003 models not 2004 and if you picked your car on August 31st you are out of luck. The main point is that is was brought to MINIUSA's attention by current owners and those people that addressed the issue have to go out and but it. And if it was for only 2004 owners I would not say anything, but it is not.

Dave

Mini-Rolls

Old 09-20-2003, 02:35 PM
Nobull60
6th Gear
I don't think that cup holders should be such a hot topic. I bought the car with the very limited space for drinks, and the performance, looks of the car is what sold me. Now some complain of the lack of cupholders and MINIUSA came through with a cup that fit. Now we are still complaining and want a bigger holder. I think efforts should be put forth on more important issues if there are any, me, I'm 100% satisfied with my MINI just the way it is.

Old 09-20-2003, 02:59 PM
pezboy
5th Gear
Nobull, is that pic in your sig from Key West? The southern most point in the continental US or something. Went there years ago...yum yum conchs!!!

I agree that the cupholders in the car are fine. If you need a bigger drink get one with a cap.

Old 09-20-2003, 03:06 PM
red03miniS
Banned
>>Now we are still complaining and want a bigger holder.

i am with you brotha, no complaints from me.

sharp turns and drinks dont mix anyways

Old 09-20-2003, 06:28 PM
brgmojo
1st Gear
weel, I just picked up my MINI and it had one in it. The cupholder is OK not much better if you ask me (I know you didn't) It kinda gets in the way if you have passengers. Glovebox scrapes. It does make a good place to put the cell-phone (my choice of the moment)

Old 09-21-2003, 09:01 AM
rg
3rd Gear
I'm wondering if the new owners are being given the free travel mugs that some current owners have been given?! Wasn't this a peace offering from Mini regarding the "cup holders"? I just think of it as one of those things we give up to drive a cool car. My '94 RX7 had no cupholders, unless you count your lap! I didn't care, i just didn't drink in it! I find the rear cup holder sufficient to hold my Grande Mocha Frappacino, and that's enough for me!!

Old 09-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
>> I find the rear cup holder sufficient to hold my Grande Mocha Frappacino, and that's enough for me!!

Me too. I just do a reach-around for my D&D. I have also figured out that if the passenger seat is in just the right forward/back position, you can stick a bottled beverage right along the seat beside the shifter and held in place by the forward/back seat lever :smile:

Old 09-21-2003, 11:15 AM
jdw5155
2nd Gear
Besides, have you all seen the new cup holder? It is quite the ugly workaround if you ask me. I'll keep my dimunitive mini coffee mug for the long drives and leave that bolt on, hinged Big Gulp cup swing to the newbies.

Jim

Old 09-21-2003, 01:44 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
HIDEOUS

Old 09-22-2003, 05:34 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
>>Nobull, is that pic in your sig from Key West? The southern most point in the continental US or something. Went there years ago...yum yum conchs!!!
>>
>>I agree that the cupholders in the car are fine. If you need a bigger drink get one with a cap.

Yes it is the southern most point. We did a MINI event in Key West earlier this month and I took a few pictures at the point. Thanks for noticing.

Old 09-23-2003, 06:59 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>What I stressing is that they are providing them as test to see if owners would like them, so whay not offer the test to the owners that already purchased a MINI and have complained about the cup holders... The main point is that is was brought to MINIUSA's attention by current owners and those people that addressed the issue have to go out and but it.<<

That's a valid point, but (a) we did get the free mug, or most of us did at least, and (b) I think it would have been much more logistically difficult and time-consuming to install the cupholders one-by-one on current owner's cars, rather than just automatically include them on a batch from the factory.

I for one wouldn't want one. They're an ugly afterthought, and the current cupholders are more than sufficient for me.

Old 09-23-2003, 03:18 PM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
>>
>>Any thoughts from the rest of you........
>>
I just took delivery of mine last Friday. I didn't ask for the cupholder it was there when the car came off the truck (Happened to be tooling past dealership 2 hours after truck delivered and dealer definately didn't have time to install this). I don't really like it. The seat hits it when people get in the back and the shifter hits it if you fold it back. Good for my cell phone at the moment but I am considering taking if off and I would never consider paying for it, too many better options out there. Just my opinion.

PS. The mount for it wraps around the downtube under the stereo and rubs on the glove box door also. Pretty bad design in my mind. They could have done a lot better.

Old 09-23-2003, 03:22 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>>>
>>>>Any thoughts from the rest of you........
>>>>
>>I just took delivery of mine last Friday. I didn't ask for the cupholder it was there when the car came off the truck (Happened to be tooling past dealership 2 hours after truck delivered and dealer definately didn't have time to install this). I don't really like it. The seat hits it when people get in the back and the shifter hits it if you fold it back. Good for my cell phone at the moment but I am considering taking if off and I would never consider paying for it, too many better options out there. Just my opinion.
>>
>>PS. The mount for it wraps around the downtube under the stereo and rubs on the glove box door also. Pretty bad design in my mind. They could have done a lot better.

I'd have to completely disagree. It's by far the best solution out there considering the retraints of the current MINI interior. Once more I've had mine for a month now and never had any rubbing issues. You may want to check on the mounting position.

Old 09-24-2003, 05:21 AM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
I'm not sure what the big deal is about the MINI Cup holders. I carry around a 24oz bottle of Pepsi with me just about everywhere I go. I just use the rear seat cup holder that's between the front seats. Not a problem for me to reach and use. Is it just the driving to work coffee sippers that have an issue? Anyone drinking coffee in my car isn't going to have it in the cup for long!

Old 09-24-2003, 05:32 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>sharp turns and drinks dont mix anyways

How true!!! I also use the MINI mug and I like it just fine.

Old 09-24-2003, 07:30 AM
ted8597
1st Gear
How about a carbon fiber cup holder?

Old 09-24-2003, 09:38 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
And a carbon fiber cup?