Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Moisture in car

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009 | 05:10 PM
ClintTheMiniOwner
|
4th Gear
Moisture in car

I can't seem to find where there is a water leak inside my car. Everytime it rains my windshield fogs up like crazy and I have to run my AC to see. I have run water all over my car and sat inside looking for possible leaks but I don't see any. My sunroof collects massive condensation on the inside and makes my window tint blush. It has always been a problem for me since I bought it in 03 It is starting to smell bad too
Does anyone share the same problem or have a solution? Thanx!

Last edited by ClintTheMiniOwner; 01-14-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2009 | 07:13 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
I don't have the same problem, but . . . run your A/C all the time, do not use the recirc. The A/C coil will help dry the air, running it without recirc will bring in fresh air. Check under the passenger side cowl vent where the air system gets it's air from and make sure the bottom is clean of leaves, dirt, and junk and allows water to drain out to the bottom of MINI.

If you don't run the A/C the MINI will vent outside air (with a humidity level same as outside) and the moisture will never dry up.

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:43 PM
ClintTheMiniOwner
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ToBFree
I don't have the same problem, but . . . run your A/C all the time, do not use the recirc. The A/C coil will help dry the air, running it without recirc will bring in fresh air. Check under the passenger side cowl vent where the air system gets it's air from and make sure the bottom is clean of leaves, dirt, and junk and allows water to drain out to the bottom of MINI.

If you don't run the A/C the MINI will vent outside air (with a humidity level same as outside) and the moisture will never dry up.
Thank you! That makes sense since the brittle foam that covers the cowl pieces on my early 02 disinegrated exposing them to debris n such. I will check into those spaces. I was fearing it is a sunroof problem

Old 01-16-2009 | 05:25 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
There are drains for the sunroof that run down inside the A-pillar. From reading NAM, it is fairly common for these to either get plugged or pinched or disconnected. Try a search for more details. Since you mention both rain and a sunroof, I'd look into this.

Old 01-16-2009 | 05:36 AM
Xiek
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rhawth99
There are drains for the sunroof that run down inside the A-pillar. From reading NAM, it is fairly common for these to either get plugged or pinched or disconnected. Try a search for more details. Since you mention both rain and a sunroof, I'd look into this.
+1

Old 01-18-2009 | 11:53 AM
ToBFree
4th Gear
My cowl vents also disintegrated. I bought two new later model cowl vents to replace them. Keeps more debris out.

Old 08-20-2009 | 06:58 PM
pat.hillyer
1st Gear
Not sure if this works on a Mini, Clint, but I had sunroof drain problems on a 911, found the outlet and blew compressed air into the outlet. Blooey! Out comes a plug of nasty old stuff comprised of pine tree needles and other nasty stuff. Gotta have the sunroof open though.

Leak gone.

Pat

Old 08-21-2009 | 05:58 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
When I got my MINI used a couple of years ago I had the same problem. The prior owner hardly drove without the AC and even warned me about the fog issue.
I hardly ever use the AC and mostly have windows and/or the roof open. This has seem to end the problem. Not sure what it was but seems like the AC condenser was actually accumulating the moisture even though I was getting water draining. I know the drain was not blocked. Now when I use the AC I don't have the problem of fogged windows.
Not really a solution but an option to try if you don't have the drain problem.