Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Anyone only install the front part of aero kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:13 AM
Mike S
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone only install the front part of aero kit?

Hi there,

I was thinking about getting the Aerokit from Mini. The prices here for it are mad, so I was just thinking has anybody ONLY installed the front bumper? Does it look OK without the sideskirts and rear bumper? To be honest I can't see that much difference from the stock sideskirts and stock rear Cooper S bumper.

What do you guys think?

Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Lots of folks run the front Aero bumper only, including me - looks great IMHO. I prefer the looks of the stock rear bumper to the aero one, anyway. I like the aero sideskirts, but my kids would destroy the paint on them, climbing in and out of the car... so I'm running alll OEM black trim with the Aero front bumper now...

Old 01-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Mike S
4th Gear
That's great! Does anybody have close ups of the side skirts for me, can't make my mind up about the side skirts.

One more question, does the aero bumper come with those black wheel arch things, or do you use your old existing ones?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Winchm60
5th Gear
I only have the front bumper as well. Decided i really didn't like the rear, and the sideskirts seem waaay to expensive for me.

The black wheel arches are just painted differently from the bumper and body panels, there isn't any difference. So yes, your aerokit bumper would have that look as long as your painter does it correctly. (I was worried about the same thing when i needed my bumper painted.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Yes - put a bit differently, you use your existing arches from the bonnet back. The "black arch" parts on the aero bumper, as well as the lower lip, are painted black, using a special textured paint to make them match the textured black plastic arches fairly well.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Mike S
4th Gear
Just to double check, you're saying to get new "black plastic" arches with the aero bumper? I'll just get those painted to match the body color as I have for the rest of the car. Thanks guys! You've been a great help. Will post pics soon!

Old 01-18-2009, 09:04 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
No... the parts that are "black plastic" on the stock bumper are actually part of the aero bumper. If you've already painted your other trim, then you have the aero bumper painted body color and you're done. Otherwise you have the "faux arches" and lip painted black to match the other trim.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Mike S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
No... the parts that are "black plastic" on the stock bumper are actually part of the aero bumper. If you've already painted your other trim, then you have the aero bumper painted body color and you're done. Otherwise you have the "faux arches" and lip painted black to match the other trim.
Ahh, thanks for clarifying. Btw your cabrio looks sweet!

Old 01-19-2009, 03:24 AM
Mike S
4th Gear
Hi guys,

I'm busy ordering the aero bumper now. What is part number 21? I asked them and they said it's foglight covers. What the heck is that? Perhaps I have seen this before without realising what it is. Does anybody know or have a picture of this on their car?

Thanks

Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 AM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Hmm; Here are some pics of my aero bumper off my car before i installed it. I wasn't aware that it was a separate piece that came off; i didn't have to install anything over the fog lights.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:16 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike S
What is part number 21? I asked them and they said it's foglight covers. What the heck is that? Perhaps I have seen this before without realising what it is. Does anybody know or have a picture of this on their car?
Fog Light covers are two thin sheets of plastic that are molded to fit inside the area around the fog light.
They would only be useful if your body color allows enough contrast between the black plastic Fog Light Cover and the body color.
They are normally quite expensive for what you get but I put them on mine for the contrast.

Here is a picture without the black plastic sheets around the foglight.

And here's one with the black plastic sheets.

Last edited by cabriopilot; 01-19-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:26 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike S
The prices here for it are mad, so I was just thinking has anybody ONLY installed the front bumper? Does it look OK without the sideskirts and rear bumper?
What do you guys think?
I second BlimeyCabrio, my MINI only has the front because I really didn't care for the back and the sides would be destroyed by my passengers.
I think it gives the MINI a much more agressive look.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
FWIW, I know several people who have filled the foglight areas with $3 worth of vinyl instead of $80 worth of MINI plastic. Looks the same.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Mike S
4th Gear
Thanks for the replies everybody, you have all been extremely helpful!

Originally Posted by cabriopilot
Fog Light covers are two thin sheets of plastic that are molded to fit inside the area around the fog light.
They would only be useful if your body color allows enough contrast between the black plastic Fog Light Cover and the body color.
They are normally quite expensive for what you get but I put them on mine for the contrast.

And here's one with the black plastic sheets.
Do you have a close up of the cover? How does it attach to the bumper?

Old 01-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Mike S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
FWIW, I know several people who have filled the foglight areas with $3 worth of vinyl instead of $80 worth of MINI plastic. Looks the same.
I would go that option, but the guys we have that do the vinyl aren't that great and I don't trust them. I'm a perfectionist and would go the BMW route if I can see if the part is worth while.

I just had another idea and I'm sure somebody on here has already given this a try. Can I dremel out the circled area in red for extra air intake for the radiator? Would the grill still fit if I did that?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:52 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have already done this as well, but I hate the black plastic mesh grille stuff that the aero kit uses. I know, I know... lots of people love it, but I much prefer my black vinyl-coated slats - the mesh just screams "plastic!" to me.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Here's a pic of my old 02 MCS with front only aero and paint matched fenders etc:

More pics in my gallaery hope it helps

Old 01-19-2009, 12:16 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Wow... that car was a beauty.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:38 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by ImagoX
I would have already done this as well, but I hate the black plastic mesh grille stuff that the aero kit uses. I know, I know... lots of people love it, but I much prefer my black vinyl-coated slats - the mesh just screams "plastic!" to me.
I've seen pictures of aero kits with slat grills, so that is possible as well. The upper grill is compatible, and probably only a minor adjustment to fit the bumper slat grill into an aero bumper.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Mike S
4th Gear
Thanks for all the input, some really great ideas out there! 20works4me, your car was a beaut!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive always ruled out the aero kit because of the hefty price tag...never considered doing it a little at a time. unlike aftermarket kits, it actually looks good mixed with the oem parts. Where is the best place to get these?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Bear in mind that MINIUSA is basically phasing the 1st Gen aero kit out. There aren't many left in the country, so I expect they will become increasingly difficult to get if you wait too long. I was told there were only 1 or 2 left in the country at the parts distribution center. That of course does not include dealerships who have them sitting in the back.

Note: Above information is not "official", but it is based on what I've heard through my dealership. Either way, I wouldn't sit and wait too long if you're on the fence about getting the aero kit!

Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Edge
Bear in mind that MINIUSA is basically phasing the 1st Gen aero kit out.
I believe that this applies only to complete aero kits sold as a set. Actually I thought they phased out some time ago and have been selling off remaining inventory for a while now. However, individual parts should continue to be available and you will still be able to assemble a full aero kit by purchasing all the pieces separately. It had better be the case, or else current aero kit owners should pray that they never get in an accident.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by rkw
I believe that this applies only to complete aero kits sold as a set. Actually I thought they phased out some time ago and have been selling off remaining inventory for a while now. However, individual parts should continue to be available and you will still be able to assemble a full aero kit by purchasing all the pieces separately. It had better be the case, or else current aero kit owners should pray that they never get in an accident.
You're probably right, but it might also get to the point where those separate parts have to be shipped from Europe, adding to the delay (and possibly the cost).

I don't mean to sound like an alarmist though, so my bad if I am coming across that way.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:45 AM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SnYpR
ive always ruled out the aero kit because of the hefty price tag...never considered doing it a little at a time. unlike aftermarket kits, it actually looks good mixed with the oem parts. Where is the best place to get these?
I got mine from OutMotoring. They separate the kit pieces so if you only want the front, that's what you get. If you only want the sides, you got it. It def. helps when it comes to the prices. You also have to factor in getting the pieces painted.