Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How to remove OEM spotlights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009 | 06:38 AM
Mike S
|
4th Gear
How to remove OEM spotlights?

I'm going to be replacing the grill on the bonnet with the aero grill. I need to take off my OEM spotlights first though. How do I go about doing this? Thanks again!

Old 01-27-2009 | 08:19 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
First thing, remove the screw at the front, bottom center of the light, this is what holds the assembly together.

Then pull the front half with the lens away from the back. Once it's separated, remove the little screw that holds the ground wire, and the bulb to the lens assembly.

Now you are just going to have the two wires and the bulb. Pull the bulb from the spade terminal on the positive wire. Once removed, cut the the terminals, you will have to buy some replacement ones, you can find those at any sort of auto parts or hardware store. Once the terminals are removed, just pull the wires through from the bottom.

Then removed the nut under the bracket, that holds it on there and remove the rest of the light assembly.

Now that is all relatively easy, and should take about five minutes or so to remove each light.

The next part is easy, but you need to be delicate.

To remove the brackets, which are riveted on, you will need a drill and a small bit. Drill through the center of the rivets, but be careful, and do not apply to much pressure. You don't want to pop through it, and then push into the bonnet. Once you have drilled a hold through all three rivets, just take a small screw driver and chisel away the top of the rivet, then use the screw driver to pry the bracket away.

You will need to cut holes in the aero grill if you are going to put the lights back on, that's what I did. And just buy some small screws, nuts and lock washers to reattach the brackets. I used a 1.75" dremel cutting disk to make holes in the aero grill.

Old 01-27-2009 | 06:47 PM
Mike S
|
4th Gear
Wow, thank you for taking to the time to be so descriptive! I feel as if I know exactly what to do now. Very much appreciated!

I'm not going to look forward to cutting the grill though

Old 01-27-2009 | 07:04 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Excellent DIY Jahmills!

Old 01-28-2009 | 09:05 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
No problem bro, I just did this mod last summer, so it was still fresh in my mind. It didn't occur to me when I started that I would need to remove the brackets in order to remove the old grill, but once I got into to it became clear. Just take your time, it's a pretty easy deal.

Old 01-30-2009 | 08:46 AM
Mike S
|
4th Gear
I started dismantling the front lights, but I can't seem to figure out how to take the grill off from the bonnet? I'm a bit noob when it comes to this stuff. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-30-2009 | 12:24 PM
Mike S
|
4th Gear
Ok I got the chrome trim around the edge off, but I think I broke a couple clips. I am struggling my *** off getting those hexagon shape nuts off the plastic bits thats holding the grill onto the car.

I see on the aero grill those plastic bits aren't threaded, how would I attach this then to the car?

Old 01-30-2009 | 02:11 PM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Yeah those nuts can be a pain. You need to take a small screwdriver and wedge it underneath the nuts while turning them. The nuts will self thread onto the plastic prongs of the aero grill. I also used a couple of regular nuts I had lying around when I installed the aero grill on two of the prongs just for some extra holding power.

Here is a how to PDF file from Motoring file that might help you through it.
http://www.motoringfile.com/howto/MI...ll_install.pdf

Old 01-30-2009 | 08:30 PM
Mike S
|
4th Gear
Thanks Jahmills, you're a life saver!

Old 02-02-2009 | 02:30 AM
Mike S
|
4th Gear
Ok the new grill is on and I bought new nuts, but they aren't the same size as the old ones. Also the old grill has threads on those plastic tabs, the aero grill just has a "+" shape. It sort of makes a click sound, but is VERY easy to dettach. How do you guys recommend I attach this to the vehicle?

Old 02-02-2009 | 03:48 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike S
Ok the new grill is on and I bought new nuts, but they aren't the same size as the old ones. Also the old grill has threads on those plastic tabs, the aero grill just has a "+" shape. It sort of makes a click sound, but is VERY easy to dettach. How do you guys recommend I attach this to the vehicle?
As mentioned before, just tighten the self threading nuts onto the "+" shaped pins. A bit of a challenge to get them started, but then it goes easy.

Old 02-02-2009 | 07:19 AM
Mike S
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lhoboy
As mentioned before, just tighten the self threading nuts onto the "+" shaped pins. A bit of a challenge to get them started, but then it goes easy.
DOH! I threw the old nuts away I'll have to go to the hardware store and find bigger sized nuts. The current ones are too small to start threading.

Old 02-02-2009 | 09:05 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
The current ones are too small to start threading.
That's what I thought too. You just have to try harder.

Old 02-02-2009 | 09:34 AM
Mike S
|
4th Gear
That's what I thought too. You just have to try harder.
I got one size larger and it's fine now. All of them are on! Thanks so much for all your help!

Old 02-02-2009 | 01:54 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
I got one size larger and it's fine now. All of them are on! Thanks so much for all your help!
Keep an eye on those fasteners. If they start to loosen up, you'll need to go with the smaller nuts.

Old 02-02-2009 | 09:17 PM
Mike S
|
4th Gear
Keep an eye on those fasteners. If they start to loosen up, you'll need to go with the smaller nuts.
Will do! Thanks for the pointer.