Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Rear Foglight-Friendly Brake Light Mod (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:56 PM
ChrisWyso
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having a problem

Hey all, I see it's been a little while since any new posts here, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I tried this mod a couple of days ago and had a problem. Lemme start by saying I have a '06 Cooper S. So I got the diode into place in the passenger side harness connector at tested the brakes. Well, instead of getting the upper fogs on with the brake lights, the brake lights came on along with my reverse lights. Now I say lights, because on both the driver & passenger side, the brake and reverse lights were on, but I only had a diode in the passenger side, I hadn't even opened the driver side access.

So did I just mess up and not really have it in pins 1 & 4? Or is there something different about my year and wiring? Also, is there docs on what the wiring pin outs are for the rear passenger harness connector?

Thanks much!

-Chris

Old 11-17-2010, 05:41 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chris,

I don't have the wiring diagram, but aren't the rear lights different on '06? With the fog being a single above the exhaust? The '04 and earlier had dual fogs below the turn signals with the backup light above the exhaust.

Tim

Originally Posted by ChrisWyso
Hey all, I see it's been a little while since any new posts here, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I tried this mod a couple of days ago and had a problem. Lemme start by saying I have a '06 Cooper S. So I got the diode into place in the passenger side harness connector at tested the brakes. Well, instead of getting the upper fogs on with the brake lights, the brake lights came on along with my reverse lights. Now I say lights, because on both the driver & passenger side, the brake and reverse lights were on, but I only had a diode in the passenger side, I hadn't even opened the driver side access.

So did I just mess up and not really have it in pins 1 & 4? Or is there something different about my year and wiring? Also, is there docs on what the wiring pin outs are for the rear passenger harness connector?

Thanks much!

-Chris

Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 AM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Chris - this isn't going to work for you. This particular setup was designed for the early cars - 02/03/04. I forget when the tail light design changed, but by 06 the rear foglight was a single lamp in the center. And it's probably not even a good idea for you to do this mod on a car with a single center rear fog light, drivers behind you will just get confused.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 PM
ChrisWyso
1st Gear
On the '06 S models, there's reverse lights in each tail light. I believe the base Cooper uses the single reverse down center.

I do have upper lamps in each tail light, but I guess they're just used for signaling when you hit the trunk release on the fob.

Thanks for the clarification all!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Walnuts
1st Gear
These last few posts make no sense. I have a 04 s and my reverse light is down above my tailpipes. My friend has a 06 s and his are in his tail lights.