Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Moss MINI Skid Plate Install (many pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002 | 08:51 PM
dave
|
pug poo picker-upper
I purchased the powder coated skid plate ($120 + $15 shipping) from Moss MINI. The powdercoat looks to be pretty robust, so I'm not really worried about it rusting.

The shipping weight was 29 lbs. Figure a few of that was the box / packaging, so about 25 lbs additional weight.

Here are some pictures from the install

My MINI up on the ramps (park brake engaged, transmission in gear, rear wheels blocked).

The infamous power steering fan

The factory plastic plate in front of the steel Moss MINI plate

one of the factory attachments for the plastic plate (reused on the Moss Plate)

Two threaded attachments unused by MINI, that Moss MINI uses to attach their plate

That power steering fan again

The four silver bolts are the rearward most attachments for the plate

the power steering fan covered by the plate

The Middle Moss attachment reuses the rear mount from the plastic MINI skid plate

Why buy brushed stainless steel when no one is going to see it, and the powdercoated one has a well adhered coating?

Total install time: ~30 minutes

Last edited by Mark; 05-26-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2002 | 12:22 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
Cool.. thanks for the pics.. that's one mod i was intrested in, and it seems easy enough.. (a lot easier then the caliper painting..).. and with random chunks of ice in the road from time to time (in this area), I'm guessing it would just generally be a good idea... but what's up with the power steering cooling fan? Huh????

Rocketboy_X

Old 09-17-2002 | 01:44 AM
shaskan
4th Gear
Excellent idea to replace the plastic s plate. The install looks simple enough. Whats the deal with the P/S fan? I didn't even know about it.

Cheers

Old 09-17-2002 | 03:31 AM
littlecajun
2nd Gear
I don't Have my mini as of yet so I might be asking a redundent question. Does the New skid plate get in the way of changing the oil. or is it still easy to get to the oil plug at the oil pan?

Old 09-17-2002 | 05:18 AM
dave
|
pug poo picker-upper
Here's some additional information:

I forgot to check the clearance to the drain plug. Chalk that up to me never having changed my own oil. That's something I will be learning to do in about 5000 more miles though. I can try looking tonight to see what the clearance is like.

While the plate does have large holes, the area right underneith the power steering fan is shielded. There are vent holes to either side, so the air circulation still looks good.

My experience has been that Colorado doesn't use as much salt as say the midwest and the east coast. That said, the powdercoat looks to very well adhered, so I'm not really worried about it rusting.

The story on the power steering fan: is that the fan sits right underneith the engine, it is exposed (the factory plastic gaurd doesn't cover it), so road debris can hit the little plastic fan blades, jamming it, and thus adversely effecting your power steering.

Old 09-17-2002 | 11:16 AM
minimojo
2nd Gear
I was considering a skid plate and now I'm convinced, especially since the power steering fan is unprotected (which makes no sense to me). Thanks for the info.
Please let us know if you have any problems getting at the oil plug (?)

Old 09-17-2002 | 03:35 PM
dave
|
pug poo picker-upper
Ok, first pardon my ignorance as I have never actually changed the oil on my own car before. Like I said, I plan on learning to do it for the MINI. If someone wouldn't mind putting together a little how to, I'd appreciated it.

Anyhow, here is the only thing I could find that remotely looked like what I thought the drain plug should look like. If this isn't it let me know. But if so, then it looks like one of the vent holes in the plate is right under it and the access is decent (not spectacular mind you, you would still need a rachet to get at it).

Old 09-19-2002 | 05:07 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear
I haven't gotten my car yet, either, but that sure looks like a drain plug to me. That's wierd about the power steering fan. I'll have to look into that skid plate. Especially with winter coming on, and these WONDERFUL PA roads.

Old 09-19-2002 | 05:13 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear
Dave-

I had been wondering how the MINI would deal with Ramps (I have a friend who has to make little ramps for his ramps, to clear his front underhang bits). Are those just standard ramps? And they cleared with no problem?

(I grew up spoiled by the hydraulic lifts in my Dad's shop. I'm still recovering)

Old 09-20-2002 | 07:56 AM
keith
1st Gear
Dave
You also need to be able to get to the trannie
drain and fill hole

Old 09-20-2002 | 08:18 AM
dave
|
pug poo picker-upper
Verruct: Those are Rhino Ramps. I got mine at Pep Boys for $29. They are rated to 12,000 lbs, so no problem for handling the MINI. Also, the incline is shallow enough that there are no clearance problems.

Keith: Thanks for the tip. I will probably remove the plate to do the oil change. After doing the install and knowing how this all goes together, it should only take about 5 minutes to remove or reinstall.

Old 12-03-2002 | 08:06 AM
NYCguy
Neutral
The problem with the Power Steering Cooling Fan

The fan's location makes it prone to be damaged by road debris and other protrusions. It's a rather fragile plastic unit and breaks or gets stuck easily. There are two problems with this:
- First, the power steering pump can overheat and result in loss of power assist. Not a good thing to happen while moving.
- Second, the fan SHARES a fuse with the car's overall cooling system. If something gets stuck in the fan or if it gets damaged and the fan motor is overloaded the fuse will blow. This would shut down not only the fan but also the car's entire cooling system. The car will then overheat rapidly.

Currently, there is no official fix for this and BMW/Mini has not acknowledged that this may be a problem although many owners and service people have reported the issue. People have suggested splicing an in-line fuse into the fan power supply but that may void your warranty. A skid plate affords some protection. I also carry spare fuses.

Old 12-03-2002 | 08:10 AM
dave
|
pug poo picker-upper
That's not a completely fair characterization of the issue. For 2003 the power steering fan now has it's own circuit that is seperate from the cooling fan.

Old 12-03-2002 | 10:29 AM
NYCguy
Neutral
That's not a completely fair characterization of the issue. For 2003 the power steering fan now has it's own circuit that is seperate from the cooling fan.
Actually, it is fair for the MCS models to date. When did Mini start separating the two circuits and are they on two different fuses?

Old 12-03-2002 | 10:40 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
Sounds like "business as usual" for BMW/MINI !

They made several 2002 mid-model year changes (that we know of! -- the main one being the suspension/spring change for all MINIs built after 4/1/02)

..And now we are finding out about changes for 2003 (that once again are not being publicized).
:evil:

Old 12-03-2002 | 11:26 AM
C4
Banned
>>Sounds like "business as usual" for BMW/MINI !
>>
>>They made several 2002 mid-model year changes (that we know of! -- the main one being the suspension/spring change for all MINIs built after 4/1/02)
>>
>>..And now we are finding out about changes for 2003 (that once again are not being publicized).
>>:evil:

Companies reserve the right to make changes or modifications to its products without previous notice.

It is the nature of mass produced goods.

Old 12-03-2002 | 11:30 AM
dave
|
pug poo picker-upper
The change started at the beginning of the 2003 model year. The source of this information is a good friend of mine that is a MINI service technician.

Old 12-03-2002 | 11:40 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
And I reserve the right to be irritated about it!

I think in the spirit of "MINI Motoring", they should mail us a letter whenever they make a change (or do any kind of Recall) !

Old 12-03-2002 | 11:48 AM
C4
Banned
>>And I reserve the right to be irritated about it!

Absolutely, feel free at any time! :smile:
>>
>>I think in the spirit of "MINI Motoring", they should mail us a letter whenever they make a change (or do any kind of Recall) !

Why should they?

So should I complain or even sue MINI next time they decide to fit a better stereo, change the sheetmetal or begin to offer nicer wheels in a future model?

That's the nature of mass production. As the product matures through its lifecycle, the manufacturer adds/deletes and introduces enhancements as they see it fit. In the auto industry, even before a new model is launched to market, the manufacturer already knows what changes the car will have during its production cycle from year to year.

They don't have to disclose any of these changes unless they directly impact on the safety and driveability of the vehicle (a.k.a known product defects).

Old 12-03-2002 | 12:24 PM
JohnW
4th Gear
Oh, I know how business works... and I still love my MC.

I am mainly just disappointed with their attitude and approach towards Service and Recalls. I had always been a loyal Ford customer before buying my MINI, and expected a change for the better when I switched.

And while I am irritated that 'minor' mech, suspension, or electrical changes are not disclosed, what really makes me mad are issues that any objective person would agree could impact safety & driveability. I NEVER received a Recall letter about the shift cable linkage, even though my MINI was in the VIN range, and I had to insist on the fix to get it done.

Needless to say, I will "keep my ear to the ground" for future 'minor' recalls and make my own judgements about potential safety impacts.

Old 12-03-2002 | 12:31 PM
NYCguy
Neutral
They don't have to disclose any of these changes unless they directly impact on the safety and driveability of the vehicle (a.k.a known product defects).
One person's enhanceent is another person's recall. Personally, I think the original design is crap and jeopardizes the driveability of the car with or without the separate circuit. But, whether there are enough failures to warrant a recall is not my decision.

This is the first time i'm hearing of a separate circuit for the fan and I hoipe it's true. I just wish that the separaate circuit was available as a simple retro-fit because I don';t want to repeat the expeeince of being stranded on the side of the road with steam billowing out of the bonnet.

Old 12-03-2002 | 12:35 PM
NYCguy
Neutral
One person's enhanceent is another person's recall. Personally, I think the original design is crap and jeopardizes the driveability of the car with or without the separate circuit. But, whether there are enough failures to warrant a recall is not my decision.

This is the first time i'm hearing of a separate circuit for the fan and I hoipe it's true. What production date did this new circuit go into effect. the people i know who just got 03 MCS's report that nothing has changed.

I just wish that the separaate circuit was available as a simple retro-fit because I don't want to repeat the expeeince of being stranded on the side of the road with steam billowing out of the bonnet.

Old 12-03-2002 | 12:39 PM
C4
Banned
>>Oh, I know how business works... and I still love my MC.
>>
>>I am mainly just disappointed with their attitude and approach towards Service and Recalls. I had always been a loyal Ford customer before buying my MINI, and expected a change for the better when I switched.
>>
>>And while I am irritated that 'minor' mech, suspension, or electrical changes are not disclosed, what really makes me mad are issues that any objective person would agree could impact safety & driveability. I NEVER received a Recall letter about the shift cable linkage, even though my MINI was in the VIN range, and I had to insist on the fix to get it done.
>>
>>Needless to say, I will "keep my ear to the ground" for future 'minor' recalls and make my own judgements about potential safety impacts.

Agreed!

Case in point: The DME software updates.

Old 12-03-2002 | 12:58 PM
JohnW
4th Gear
Don't get me started on the software! :smile:

I took mine to get the CD#31 upgrade to fix my 'engine stumbling' issue, and...

after the 1st visit:
no change in the engine-stumbling (sometimes still almost stalling).

after the 2nd visit: they told me that MINIUSA told them "oh try it again, sometimes the software doesn't install correctly on the 1st attempt" ...particularly ironic since I am a programmer and have used this line before!

Since the successful install... the 'engine stumbling' has diminished, but I swear that acceleration from a standing stop is not as good as it was before!

I do NOT recommend getting the new DME software unless you REALLY need it...

Old 12-07-2002 | 03:23 PM
Bmuelle
2nd Gear
I just ordered my skid plate from MossMini. I can see how this skid plate could possibly save you alot of money in the future if you were have some sort of debris fly up into the engine compartment. Now, my only question is how will the BMW service department react to the installation of the skid plate? Has anyone gone into the dealer for service and got their reaction? Would'nt think it would void the warranty.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Moss MINI Skid Plate Install (many pictures)