Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Polished or powdercoated supercharger bullhorns...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Malcon
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Polished or powdercoated supercharger bullhorns...

It seems like if somebody were to offer polished, or powdercoated bullhorns for the mini they could get alot of buisness...Maybe offering to sell and you mail in your core. I could take them off and find a place to do it.. but that puts me out of commision for a while. It would be easier and faster to be able to order them, install them, mail the old ones back...

I just really like how they look when they are not the stock, cast-silver look.

anybody else ever think about this?
I guess if i have the time someday i'd take them off and paint them... but i just dont have the place to do it right now.

-Malcon

Old 03-01-2009, 12:58 PM
cartar452
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've heard it's not very easy to get the pre intercooler horn off. I believe you have to remove the intake manifold to get to the bolts. The post horn is easy to get off if you've ever taken your TB out. I don't know how well pre polished pieces would sell being that the install wouldn't be for everyone. I think I'm going to polish mine over summer myself when I have some time.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
oh yeah? I didn't know how the installation would be. Let me know when you do your polishing.. I may do mine also.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Jhud
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id wonder if the powder coat would effect heat dissipation?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:53 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
I would think they dissipate heat best in the original finish as the surface area is maximized. It may look cooler as polished, but it and your intake charge will be hotter.

Don't paint it and don't polish it. Don't do it.

If you want to spend some time on the intake system then port match and polish the entire system. It will help HP a little bit on ans S, and a little bit more on a non S.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 PM
cartar452
Banned
Originally Posted by mini_racer
I would think they dissipate heat best in the original finish as the surface area is maximized. It may look cooler as polished, but it and your intake charge will be hotter.

Don't paint it and don't polish it. Don't do it.

If you want to spend some time on the intake system then port match and polish the entire system. It will help HP a little bit on ans S, and a little bit more on a non S.
How will polishing them make the intake charge hotter?

Old 03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about a colored intercooler?

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 03-01-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:06 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cartar452
How will polishing them make the intake charge hotter?
The idea is that by polishing the surface of the horns, you're reducing the total surface area that's exposed to the air compared to the rough factory finish, thus reducing heat dissipation.

Of course, this is only important if the factory horns dissipate very much heat in the first place, relative to the heat that's dissipated by the intercooler itself. If the heat dissipation in the horns is negligible compared to the dissipation in the intercooler, than polishing the horns is more of a theoretical drawback than an actual one.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
cartar452
Banned
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
The idea is that by polishing the surface of the horns, you're reducing the total surface area that's exposed to the air compared to the rough factory finish, thus reducing heat dissipation.

Of course, this is only important if the factory horns dissipate very much heat in the first place, relative to the heat that's dissipated by the intercooler itself. If the heat dissipation in the horns is negligible compared to the dissipation in the intercooler, than polishing the horns is more of a theoretical drawback than an actual one.
I'm going to have to say that the reduced surface area when compared to how much heat the horns actually dissipate will be so minimal that it wouldn't warrant not doing it.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:19 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If a bright color is desired, have the aluminum color anodized, anodizing won’t insulate like paint or powdercoating. If black is ok for the look you want, have the aluminum coated with a thermal dispersant coating. Thermal dispersant coating improves thermal exchange of the metal, protects against oxidation (white powder spots on aluminum), and is easy to clean. This coating has maintained as new condition after 60k miles and four years.

With the intake parts off the vehicle, perform any “porting”, smooth out casting flash, and remove casting blobs.

I had my oil pan externally coated with the thermal dispersant and internally with an oil dispersant. I smoothed the outside surface before having it coated and to this day it looks like slick Teflon and cleans like it too.

Painting an intercooler diminishes its ability to transfer heat as it was designed, once again anodizing is a better approach and a thermal dispersant better still.

The problem with polishing aluminum is maintenance. Without a clear coating, over time aluminum dulls and oxidizes.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
ScottRiqui, yep you got it!

K-huevo, you really got it, and did something about it, WOW! Anodizing is definitely the way to go.

cartar452, we are certainly talking Thermodynamic theory here as I do not have a table with data showing various finishes. So yeah, in this situation the surface prep options may not be statistically significantly different in terms of heat dissipation performance. Theoretically though, polishing or painting are the wrong things to do specific to the function/performance of those parts.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Malcon
6th Gear
I like the idea of the heat dispersion coating. I think there is something called Jet Coating that does that. Hmm I'll look into that

I wonder if they can do colors??

Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Malcon
I like the idea of the heat dispersion coating. I think there is something called Jet Coating that does that. Hmm I'll look into that

I wonder if they can do colors??
You may be thinking about "Jet Hoat" coatings. They do offered colored coatings, but they're not dispersive. They're actually insulating coatings intended to keep as much heat inside your headers as possible, so they wouldn't be very good for heat exchangers. I'll see if they have any dispersive coatings, though.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by Malcon
It seems like if somebody were to offer polished, or powdercoated bullhorns for the mini they could get alot of buisness...Maybe offering to sell and you mail in your core. I could take them off and find a place to do it.. but that puts me out of commision for a while. It would be easier and faster to be able to order them, install them, mail the old ones back...

I just really like how they look when they are not the stock, cast-silver look.

anybody else ever think about this?
I guess if i have the time someday i'd take them off and paint them... but i just dont have the place to do it right now.

-Malcon
You can also check out this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht=polished+SC

Too bad they have removed Nitrominis pictures, his stuff was sick You can see some of his stuff over on M/U

Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Malcon
6th Gear
Yes He's on motoring underground though I've seen his pictures... and yes his car has to be the most modified here....he's done everything.. and its cool that he does it al himself...

Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cartar452
I'm going to have to say that the reduced surface area when compared to how much heat the horns actually dissipate will be so minimal that it wouldn't warrant not doing it.
I'd have to agree. I have a bunch of buddies who run fully polished engines in their Vdubs with massive HP turbo engines without any problems. The difference is probably minimal at best.

I say polish them, it would look killer

Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Yeah ok, theoretically the wrong thing to do, but damn it sure does look awesome. And it does look faster, so that has got to be worth something.

Killer indeed

Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Malcon
6th Gear
yes I would really like to get them polished....
I'm not running an 11 second quarter mile... so i think FOR ME, i would rather it look nice. and be maybe the slightest bit warmer.

looks awesome!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:32 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Polished it?

Hey so how did you polish this, I see the grinder you removed the texture with, but what did you use to get that final polished look?? I am looking to polish a set of wheels myself.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:25 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
For a little bling , use a tooth brush and simichrome polish on the cast, scrub and scrub, then burnish with a clean cloth, it will give a nice polished cast look.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:48 AM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
Hey so how did you polish this, I see the grinder you removed the texture with, but what did you use to get that final polished look?? I am looking to polish a set of wheels myself.
this isnt my work, I wish it was. It belongs to Nitromini on Motoringunderground, This might help

http://www.motoringalliance.com/foru...d-madness.html

Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
polish

Originally Posted by JPMM
For a little bling , use a tooth brush and simichrome polish on the cast, scrub and scrub, then burnish with a clean cloth, it will give a nice polished cast look.
Thanks gonna try this

Originally Posted by 4Boogie
this isnt my work, I wish it was. It belongs to Nitromini on Motoringunderground, This might help

Oh my bad, ok thanks for info.

http://www.motoringalliance.com/foru...d-madness.html

Old 08-05-2009, 10:10 AM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
We've been powdercoating them for customers. But I have to say that looks good. Alot of work to do that so hats off to you.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:23 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
I bet the polished cast look does look cool. It would kind of look like an uber OEM dress-up upgrade.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Polished or powdercoated supercharger bullhorns...