Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Install Instructions for Front and Rear Foglights

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Stewartjds
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just rececived my front and rear fog light retrofit kit, but no installation instructions.
I am aware that once the foglights are installed that my mini must be taken to dealer for programming. Does anyone have a copy of the instructions for both front and rear fog lights. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2003, 07:52 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out Gabe Bridgers excellent web site!
His How To Page has links to (Front) Fog Lights and Toggle Switch Panel - for the rear fogs, all you need is to install the new switch panel with the extra switch, then have MINI update the software in your car ...

Old 10-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am currently in the middle of doing this install myself. I didn't get any instructions either, but this PDF file from Gabe Bridger's site will help somewhat. Some items not noted in these instructions are that the connectors on the wiring harness that attach to the lights themselves must be cut off and the new connectors and short wires put in place of them, the bulbs are not the same. Also, some cars already have a relay and fuse in place (like mine) so you will have spares. As for the rear foglights, once you install the switchbank, it's done. Once the car is programmed the lights will work. Everything else you need is in place. Be prepared for some rather major work.

I am putting together a how-to for this, since even the instructions you get dont spell out everything.

Old 10-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Greatbear
Um, what he said.

Timing is everything I guess!

Old 10-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Stewartjds
1st Gear
Thanks for the info. Any tips on the install would be appreciated.

Old 10-17-2003, 03:12 PM
ermc2
Neutral
I've been following this thread with great interest and will probably do some or all of it. I currently have the front fog lights on mine, but I'm disappointed that the main headlights must be on in order to turn on the fog lights. My memory says that the reason for the yellow fog lights, mounted low, was so that the white light from the head light wouldn't bounce back in your eyes. Low, yellow lights on, and high, white lights off.
And my experience driving in heavy fog showed that to be the case. Does anyone know how to turn the fog lights on by themselves?
ermc2@att.net

Old 10-17-2003, 03:27 PM
8ball
6th Gear
ermc2: my front fogs work with just the parking lights on - no need to turn the headlamps on too ... and you're right - they work great just by themselves!

Old 10-18-2003, 01:21 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Does anyone know what's the status of the rear fog lights on the 2004 models? Are they part of the front fog set up or are thay also a retrofit kit? My MA could not terll me either way if the 04 would have the rear fogs installed and set up or not.

Old 10-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Hotelcalif
4th Gear
Just installed mine. Do you have to get the computer upgrade for fronts too?
The instructions left out several needed things like several beers,and some Goodys powders.Don't do this if someone from church may drop by either.

Old 10-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Stewartjds
1st Gear
On your install witch set of instructions did you use? I have found some difference's
between the one on the bridger site vs the latest ones from the dealer.

Old 10-22-2003, 05:18 PM
Hotelcalif
4th Gear
I had to call the dealer.On the switch harness plug pin 3 and 7 already had a wire in them but it turns out it is 13 and 17.I hope everything else is correct.Have you completed yours yet? Did you take it to program at the dealer?

Old 10-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Stewartjds
1st Gear
Yes, That's what I found when I did my install. I am taking my mini in next week
to be programed.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:36 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those who have already done the rear fog light (panel) install and software upgrade, I have the following question. I have v31 of the MINI software, no stumble or yo-yo. I understand that v35 is the upgrade installed to activate the rear fog lights. Ques.: Does installing v35 cause stumble or yo-yo? Is v35 a safe install or should I wait for the mythical v36, the panacea?

Remember rule #1: First, do no harm.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:36 AM
aa3jy
2nd Gear
I just had myoptional Mini front bumper fog lights and panal switches installed which included the recoding of both front and rear foglights. My question..now that top portion of both rear brake lights up when the panel switch is activated..what is the next step to make the rear fog lights fully operatioanal? Is it just a lens and foglight exchange for the rear?

By-the-way..it was 4 hour operation by the local MINI dealer to include a complete bumper removal and wire install..so you can imagine the cost involved..

Old 10-23-2003, 08:47 AM
Greatbear
They are operational now. When you hit the switch and the upper portion only of the tail light comes on, that's the rear fog lights in action. There is no different bulb or lens other than what you have. The light is brighter and separate from the brake lights below, and that makes a lot of difference in foggy situations. The lights cannot be TOO bright or that would tend to blind the divers behind you. Unlike front fog lights, the rear lights are not meant to illuminate the road or the area behind you, instead it makes your car more visible.

With that being said, it's best to not use the rear fog lights in other than situations of poor visibility. In clear conditions the bright lights are not only unnecessary, but irritating to those following you.

I'd question your dealer about the bumper removal, it's not required at all to install the lights. All that had to be removed was the inner plastic fenderwell liners on either side.

'03 MCS, Dk Silver, 17" R85s, NAV, DSC (often turned off!), Packs #1 and #3, Rally lights, etc, etc. Fulton, MD. FRS 7-21
Let's Get Small!

Old 10-23-2003, 09:37 AM
aa3jy
2nd Gear
>>They are operational now. When you hit the switch and the upper portion only of the tail light comes on, that's the rear fog lights in action. There is no different bulb or lens other than what you have. The light is brighter and separate from the brake lights below, and that makes a lot of difference in foggy situations. The lights cannot be TOO bright or that would tend to blind the divers behind you. Unlike front fog lights, the rear lights are not meant to illuminate the road or the area behind you, instead it makes your car more visible.
>>
>>With that being said, it's best to not use the rear fog lights in other than situations of poor visibility. In clear conditions the bright lights are not only unnecessary, but irritating to those following you.
>>
>>I'd question your dealer about the bumper removal, it's not required at all to install the lights. All that had to be removed was the inner plastic fenderwell liners on either side.
>>
Thanks..but they appear to be a set of brighter brake lights when activated..and I bet they go'n to cause alot of confussion.

..and yes I did ask why the added hours in the install..appearently this was they first kit and I said I didn't want to pay for their 'experimentation' ..

Old 10-23-2003, 09:56 AM
Greatbear
Rear foglights are often confused with brake lights (or riding the brake), but the general requirement is the foglights must be separate from the brake lights by at least 4 inches, and only lit on each side, not the center.

There would be no mistaking the rear foglights for brake lights once you step on the brake, as the lower sections will come on and the center high-mount brake light will come on as well. The effect seen by someone coming up behind you would be a pair of brighter than normal tail lights that would become brighter still when you hit the brake. In a fog, snow or hard rain, the brighter taillights are a lot more noticeable at a greater distance than normal tail lights. and can literally save your butt. In extreme or sudden conditions you can add to the safety factor even more by using your 4-way hazard flashers.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:57 AM
aa3jy
2nd Gear
Another question: Are their flat rate pricing/hrs for these types of installs/mods that one can refer to get a fair quote on the work to done..such as the one that was just performed for me? Parts says one quote..service says another..and customer in the middle..you all know how it goes..

Old 10-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Greatbear
Most of the post-factory 'kits' like the alarm system and driving light set that come with installation instructions have an estimated time noted in the beginning, For instance, with the front foglight kit instructions there is a note that says "The installation time is approx. 2 hours, but this may vary depending on the condition of the car and the equipment in it".

Of course, that leaves it WAY open for interpretation:

You: "It says it takes only about 2 hours for the install, but you took FOUR?"

Dealer: "Your car actually came with an engine, and that was in the way of some of the wiring that needed to be run. Also, the engine was dirty, and Deiter the technician had to stop several times to clean under his fingernails."

Okay, it might not be quite THAT bad, but you catch my drift. It took me nearly that long mainly because the directions I have have errors that I needed to figure out, plus some other items not even spelled out (like the swapping of the foglight connector housings and terminals). I hope to take the car in this coming week to get it all coded for the goodies I installed. This is the one thing I truly hate about this car, the closed nature of the computer and the fact it controls so damn much. It has it's good points as well as bad.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:50 PM
aa3jy
2nd Gear
Got a chance to drive a few miles with thenew 'Foglight' retrofit..I have to say that the new codesthat where down loaded DO elininate about 75% of the famous '2nd gear surging' issue!!

Old 10-23-2003, 01:00 PM
markvibari
2nd Gear
>>For those who have already done the rear fog light (panel) install and software upgrade, I have the following question. I have v31 of the MINI software, no stumble or yo-yo. I understand that v35 is the upgrade installed to activate the rear fog lights. Ques.: Does installing v35 cause stumble or yo-yo? Is v35 a safe install or should I wait for the mythical v36, the panacea?
>>
>>Remember rule #1: First, do no harm.

I had the install done last Friday. I had a *slight* stumble when starting off in 1st gear before the upgrade. Since the CD35 upgrade, the problem has virtually gone away. I'm very pleased with the rear fogs, the software upgrade AND the diode brake light mod...

Old 10-29-2003, 03:50 PM
Greatbear
FINALLY!

I had a chance to take the car in to be programmed for both foglights (and an alarm system I installed as well) and I am pleased to say everything works perfectly. The changes I made over what the factory foglight installation .pdf file were correct, and the front foglights work as they should, and the rear foglights with the diode mod work perfectly. Even the dealer people said the mod was 'cool'.

I will take pictures of the final product in operation and use those pics along with ones I already have from the installation and I will put them together and make a 'MCO how-to' for everyone to use.

Old 10-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Mr.Sticky
1st Gear
Just to further complicate things, would it be possible to use the factory fog light toggle switch to activate an aftermarket driving light system? I like my toggles centrally located and prefer the factory toggle for asthetic reasons. Any ideas?

Old 10-30-2003, 02:44 PM
ermc2
Neutral
>>ermc2: my front fogs work with just the parking lights on - no need to turn the headlamps on too ... and you're right - they work great just by themselves!
8ball - I parked in front of a window and watched the fog light operation. At first it looked like you were right. Here goes. headlights on, fog lights on, they light up, headlights down to parking lights, the parking lights come on, the fogs stay lighted. Take the parking brake off, the fogs go out, the daylight driving lamps come on, the parking lights stay on. Put the handbrake back on, the fog lights come back on. Don't want to drive with the handbrake on. Do you have the daytime driving lights programmed on your Mini?

Old 10-30-2003, 02:53 PM
8ball
6th Gear
Interesting ... ... no, i don't have the DRL's activated on mine ...

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Install Instructions for Front and Rear Foglights