Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Props to Aesthetic Creations

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009 | 06:09 AM
JustJAY
|
6th Gear
Props to Aesthetic Creations

I just wanted to let you all know that Mike has made a terriffic product. I just ordered his light rings and he has done a super job on them.

I have been a customer of AC for some time and like most here know, he has had his good and bad times, but I really think he has hit a home run on this one.

You can find more photos on Facebook. My Flickr is limited and can't upload anymore

Old 03-08-2009 | 06:20 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Hey, Jay... those do look really good.

Question: How soft/hard or those plastic rings ? Do you think they'll get chewed up by the rocks/stones/other road debris and more so than the chrome ?

Old 03-08-2009 | 06:26 AM
JustJAY
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Hey, Jay... those do look really good.

Question: How soft/hard or those plastic rings ? Do you think they'll get chewed up by the rocks/stones/other road debris and more so than the chrome ?
They are flexible molded plastic, thick enough to withstand debris, but thin enough to not protrude over the existing rings to make it look like you added something. What is also nice is that they clip on over the existing rings, so you don't have to remove them. I had Plastidiped mine, and decided to just put it over the Plastidip.

It also has some tape adhered to it as a precaution I assume because mine really clipped on.

Old 03-08-2009 | 06:30 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
, thanks for the info !

Old 03-08-2009 | 06:35 AM
nascar mini
4th Gear
Looks great,i was considering color coding mine with the car (Indi Blue) in my case, wonder if he has that color material?

Old 03-08-2009 | 12:05 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
i like the look of that.. hmm i'm going to have to go to the website now......

Old 03-08-2009 | 02:20 PM
JustJAY
|
6th Gear
UPDATE: I was just on a 3hr highway run going over the posted speed limit and all is well. I was doing those speeds most of the time.

Old 03-08-2009 | 04:03 PM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
Originally Posted by nascar mini
Looks great,i was considering color coding mine with the car (Indi Blue) in my case, wonder if he has that color material?
I ordered at set of Laser Blue cover for my Mini on 2/17. I am hoping they arrive any day. My impression is that color match parts are painted and not vinyl. I think it would be very hard to match a paint color with vinyl. I will let you know how they look.

Last edited by Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose; 03-08-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2009 | 05:04 PM
nascar mini
4th Gear
Lil Blu,

You mean you ordered a set of colored(laser blue) covers for the trim rings around headlights? From? Material? Sorry, i'm confused.

Thanks,
' Bill

Old 03-10-2009 | 01:01 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
So did you have to use the tape??? Looks great. I'm sold!

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:24 AM
blammo
3rd Gear
I also just installed a set of body-colored (Chili Red) headlight rings from AC... As mentioned above, it's a thin plastic (reminds me of the lexan bodies from RC cars). For mine, they are painted on the inside, so that the plastic provides the nice gloss to match the body paint (and this implies to me it's a great protector of the paint -- I don't expect any chips unless the plastic itself is damaged).

Overall, installation is very easy... the rings seem to be molded almost slightly smaller than the actual headlight chrome ring, so it feels like it "stretches over" a little to get a tight fit. Thin double-sided tape is included for security, but as mentioned above, it appears to snap in without really needing it (as I found out by accident when trying to see how the fit the first time...).

I'll try to get some pics posted in a few weeks -- unfortunately the wife's out of town with the camera... overall, though, looks like a great product, especially for those of us who don't really want to remove the actual headlights (as is required for some competing designs)!

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:37 AM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
Originally Posted by nascar mini
Lil Blu,

You mean you ordered a set of colored(laser blue) covers for the trim rings around headlights? From? Material? Sorry, i'm confused.

Thanks,
' Bill
I ordered the complete set in Laser Blue and Gloss Black from Mike. I was saying that they should be using paint and not vinyl to color match parts and they should be very close to your paint color.

Old 03-11-2009 | 05:46 PM
nascar mini
4th Gear
Thanks Blammo,that makes sense now,i'll look into those in Indi Blue.
Bill

Old 03-11-2009 | 07:27 PM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Looking forward to seeing some pics of the color matched ones, post 'em when you got 'em.

Old 03-11-2009 | 08:41 PM
MrCooperS
I actually ordered the black door handles and head light rings in flat black as well. will post pictures when they come in.

Old 03-12-2009 | 07:59 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
If you're worried about using the tape, I'd try using a very thin sliver of Blue Tack instead, or possibly even a thin coating of rubber cement on the inner surface of the plastic ring (although if they're painted on the inside there might be an interaction with the paint - TEST FIRST). If using rubber cement, first brush it onto the inner surface of the colored ring then let it dry, then put a few dabs on the chrome headlight rings and allow both to dry very well (30 min.). When the peices are pressed together, the cement should stick together lightly (more than a Post-it but not much more), allowing for later removal, and the cement should rub off afterwards with no ill effects to the factory chrome.

Worth a shot, anyway, if anyone's concerned about the rings blowing off. I'll have to check these out - the application sounds PERFECT - better than wrapping them in vinyl or painting them, that's for sure.

EDIT: has anyone used the door handle covers yet? I've been waffling on wrapping mine in black vinyl because the removal and re-installation of the handles looks like a PITA. $80 for the handle covers seems resonable, but $100 for the rings? Really?

Old 03-12-2009 | 08:51 AM
minintrigue
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
I actually ordered the black door handles and head light rings in flat black as well. will post pictures when they come in.
Me too - can't wait to get them

Old 03-12-2009 | 07:37 PM
JustJAY
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
If you're worried about using the tape, I'd try using a very thin sliver of Blue Tack instead, or possibly even a thin coating of rubber cement on the inner surface of the plastic ring (although if they're painted on the inside there might be an interaction with the paint - TEST FIRST). If using rubber cement, first brush it onto the inner surface of the colored ring then let it dry, then put a few dabs on the chrome headlight rings and allow both to dry very well (30 min.). When the peices are pressed together, the cement should stick together lightly (more than a Post-it but not much more), allowing for later removal, and the cement should rub off afterwards with no ill effects to the factory chrome.

Worth a shot, anyway, if anyone's concerned about the rings blowing off. I'll have to check these out - the application sounds PERFECT - better than wrapping them in vinyl or painting them, that's for sure.

EDIT: has anyone used the door handle covers yet? I've been waffling on wrapping mine in black vinyl because the removal and re-installation of the handles looks like a PITA. $80 for the handle covers seems resonable, but $100 for the rings? Really?
I got flat black which is $50 for handles and $80 for rings. I ordered some handles and am just waiting for them to be made. Mike is in HI right now.

Old 03-12-2009 | 07:50 PM
MrCooperS
Hmm... I hope I get them soon. Mike actually offered me the flat black handles and rings before they were listed on the site, back then it was 75 for the rings and 50 for the door. Could have saved myself 5 bucks. No biggie.

"The flat black parts are the easiest to make so I will have them out to you before I leave for AMVIV."

AMVIV is March 26 I believe...

Old 03-12-2009 | 08:40 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Mine (Dark Silver Rings ) were ordered on the 17th, but he didnt have time to get them done and shipped before taking some well deserved down time......Hopefully I will have them in a week or so.

Old 03-16-2009 | 05:21 PM
recordsmith
1st Gear
Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting the full kit for my Jet Black MCS. My only question is will water collect under them? Any thoughts? I am really excited about these. A full black out without having to take the door handles off! Yippee

Old 03-16-2009 | 05:51 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
just placed my order... i cant wait

Old 03-18-2009 | 01:29 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
Placed my order last week for the emblem covers in Astro Black. Will post pictures when I get em!

Old 03-18-2009 | 06:42 PM
JustJAY
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by recordsmith
Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting the full kit for my Jet Black MCS. My only question is will water collect under them? Any thoughts? I am really excited about these. A full black out without having to take the door handles off! Yippee
I don't see an issue, its not like the rings, and handles are metal. Not sure about the gas door though since that is metal.

Old 03-18-2009 | 06:43 PM
MrCooperS
The gas cap is just about the easiest thing to remove from the car...literally. I'd suggest doing that yourself. Cheaper, easier and faster.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Props to Aesthetic Creations