Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Drunken wife ruined my MINIs interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009 | 11:53 AM
FUNNER
1st Gear
I've read your dilemma. I have used Nature's Miracle before on Cat pee, and it worked marginally. Since, I have found another product that works better. Google SCOE 10X That stands for Super Concentrated Odor Eliminator 10 times !! It's often used for industrial clean up stuff, and major professional cleans, I believe. Check it out, but keep in mind that it doesn't work as well after one has used another cleaner. Good Luck !

Old 03-10-2009 | 01:19 PM
ve3hzz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RussellCory
After driving into the office things still stink…

The carpet cleaner seems to be doing it's job well. The carpets barely stink it's the passenger seat that really smells.

I'm gonna have to pull it out and take it apart. Ugh.
May I suggest taking the seat out of the car, then use (liberal) leather cleaner after you use the steam cleaner on it. Then put the entire seat in a large garbage bag with a few dryer sheets and maybe an air freshner that is..well leather? put this near one of your furnace air ducts and or a heater that can warm things up a bit. This should remove the stink from it. We did this process for a few boat seats that were glued to the foam and no way to get it apart without wrecking it.

Hope that works if you try it...good luck!!!!

Regards

Scott.

Old 03-10-2009 | 05:26 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
I used to sell used aircraft in my former life and we would occasionally receive planes that you could literally not go inside because of "life threatening " odors. We would have the aircraft professionally cleaned and if the slightest hint of the odor lingered, the cleaning company would put an ozione machine inside overnight. Voila--odor gone--never to return. A Mini owner on the MINIUSA forum had the same problem with meat left for several days in the back seat during the summer. Whew All efforts to remove the odor failed. She even contemplated replacing the interior. I recommended that she rent an ozione machine from a smoke restoration company--which she did--and voila--odor gone. Cost her $75.00 for the rental.

Old 03-10-2009 | 06:12 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
What a thread and it's making my stomach turn just reading it while I'm LMAO. Makes me think back to a car I desecrated with the effects of Jaggermeister shots (at least it was my car and a good portion of it made it into the passenger's inside door handle slot -- and it wasn't a MINI), the rest is on I-90 near Snoqualmie.

As an attempt to help the OP (and it does sound like your wife is doing due diligence) Griots has this stuff seriously called "Stinky-Be-Gone" that I wonder if it might help a little. It mentions fast food and nauseous oil but nothing about wife upchuck... Good luck!

Old 03-10-2009 | 08:57 PM
RussellCory
|
5th Gear
Thanks everyone for the support! I'll probably end up giving it all a try. Whatever ends up working, I'll post!

Old 03-10-2009 | 09:03 PM
skillet
6th Gear
You could try this. Just saw an infomercial about it

Only 2 easy payments of $33.33 and eliminates odors on contact

Old 03-10-2009 | 10:11 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Just do it before the weather gets warm cuz once your car sits in the sun it will activate any vomit and man it will stink..........ask me how i know.

Old 03-11-2009 | 05:48 AM
RussellCory
|
5th Gear
Hit the carpet again last night with the pet cleaner & the seat with some sort of cleaner from Black Magic that my wife picked up. I'm gonna try to make it home tonight before dark and pull the seat. I guess I'll just have to deal with the airbag light going off for a couple of days.

Old 03-11-2009 | 06:31 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by RussellCory
Hit the carpet again last night with the pet cleaner & the seat with some sort of cleaner from Black Magic that my wife picked up. I'm gonna try to make it home tonight before dark and pull the seat. I guess I'll just have to deal with the airbag light going off for a couple of days.
Bear in mind that once the airbag light comes on, it won't go back off by itself when you replace the seat - you'll have to take it to the dealer or a BMW repair shop to have the light reset.

You can insert a resistor in the passenger seat wiring harness to mimic the seat's presence and keep the airbag light from lighting up, but I don't the details (resistor value, which pins in the harness to connect it to, etcetera). I know the information is here on NAM, though.

Old 03-11-2009 | 08:29 AM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
This thread makes being at work so much better.

Old 03-11-2009 | 08:30 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Old 03-11-2009 | 11:30 AM
Luys
4th Gear
It happened before to my friend Mini car. We pulled the seats off with the airbag control unit (it has gone to there too) and cleaned the carpet via shampoo carpet and left the doors open for 2 days. Than he used a Meguiars odor eliminator, sprayed it. Last no smells.

Old 03-11-2009 | 01:55 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
I think it needs a 2.5 ohm 1/2 watt resistor.

Old 03-11-2009 | 06:54 PM
MJCMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
I used to sell used aircraft in my former life and we would occasionally receive planes that you could literally not go inside because of "life threatening " odors. We would have the aircraft professionally cleaned and if the slightest hint of the odor lingered, the cleaning company would put an ozione machine inside overnight. Voila--odor gone--never to return. A Mini owner on the MINIUSA forum had the same problem with meat left for several days in the back seat during the summer. Whew All efforts to remove the odor failed. She even contemplated replacing the interior. I recommended that she rent an ozione machine from a smoke restoration company--which she did--and voila--odor gone. Cost her $75.00 for the rental.
Ozone works great for removing odors and will get rid of about anything - took smoke odor out of a fleet car that had a pack of cigarettes smoked in it every day for a year, and we also used it on a vehicle that the previous owner thought it funny to stack roadkill in the backseat before giving it back (in June).

If you rent an Ozone machine to DIY, remember it is an oxidizer and if you overdo it you will be stuck with a strong Ozone odor in the car for a while - which is admittedly better than puke smell. Also, there is a risk of some damage to fabrics and leather.

If you use it, first make sure the surfaces are all as clean as possible. As a precaution, after using the ionizer (or any heavy duty cleaner for that matter), wipe down any leather surfaces with a good leather treatment, and hit the vinyl surfaces with a vinyl treatment. If you don't like the ionized air inside the car, you can hit the interior with a light spritz of air freshener, and/or just drive with the windows open for a while.

Its also a good idea to have the car running for 10-15 minutes with the AC on full blast, recirculating (this will clean out any odors that may be in the duct work.) Also, crack the windows during the treatment and make sure you don't have or let any pets/children in the car while you are running the treatment.

If you go the professional route, there are some treatments that use a vaporized enzyme solution that has the same effect on the odors as the ozone without the side effects, but it is $$$.

Old 03-13-2009 | 01:32 PM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
also remember that O3 attaches to your hemoglobin easier than o2 does, but is not usable in your body, and it takes a long time for the O3 to detach, thus giving you an oxygen deficiency, and could result in death if the place you do it in is not properly ventilated (potential suffocation)
also, this runs a uber small risk, but ionized air conducts electricity better, thus sparks will travel farther. totally unrelated to your circumstance most likely, but im in the process of repairing a Tesla coil, and it produces ozone when it discharges...

Old 03-16-2009 | 01:52 PM
Samtrak
4th Gear
Baltimore knows how to party! Minus the puking.

Old 03-16-2009 | 06:10 PM
RussellCory
|
5th Gear
Just a quick post weekend update… Spent some more time scrubbing various bits & trim with cleaner & a toothbrush. Things are coming along well & now the only part that smells is the bits of carpet between the passenger seat rail & the tunnel. It was drizzly all weekend so I didn't want to get into pulling the seats out in the mucky driveway. I'm gonna stop by the dealer to pickup new seat rail mount bolts & hopefully pull the seat the next decent day we get.

Old 03-17-2009 | 10:18 PM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
Old memories. I was fifteen, and a crazy party animal. We had the employee party for the zoo I worked at and I got insanely drunk at the after party. I puked in my mini a week after getting it. It was all on the seats and came up quite nicely though.