Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How to: low profile LED rear fog (fits MDM hitch!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009 | 08:17 PM
DixonL2
|
6th Gear
How to: low profile LED rear fog (fits MDM hitch!)

Problem: Have the MDM hitch for non-rear fog models, no clearance for a rear fog, and a cool interior switch waiting to be used.

Solution: Make a low profile LED rear fog using the OE hole plug!

Cost: $20 in LEDs, a switch, some wire, some time, but I had a few other parts lying around.

Wiring: Up to you, I wired into the trailer's rear taillamp wiring which is isolated from the Mini wiring, and allows the rear fog on only when taillights are on. Splice power from taillight wire to switch, back to LED fog, ground fog.

How-to, in pictures (pretty self-explanatory):

Parts:

Drill holes to very snug fit on LEDs, clean off shavings. It's IMPORTANT to drill the holes so the LED face back and slightly upwards, which is quite an up angle since this piece sits facing a little down:

Insert LEDs from rear, taking care not to break wires:

Show plug to dog because wife wasn't home. Dog takes wife's role of being completely unimpressed:

Attach all + wires together, all - wires together, wire to polarized plug:

Wrap all wiring in Scotch 33+ electrical tape (the best, period), and smear black hi-temp silicone on back of plug to water proof while forgetting to take pic. Several thinner layers works well. Allow to dry while wiring the other end of plug to car, and continue to forget to take pictures. Allow silicone (or RTV) to thoroughly dry.

I wired the R Fog to this armored switch that I used to plug the nonfunctional switch plate in my center e-brake console. The LEDs use so little current a relay isn't needed:

Daylight shot:

Night: It's as bright or brighter than brake lights, and VERY focused toward the rear. It's IMPORTANT to drill the holes so the LED face back and slightly upwards, which is quite an up angle since this piece sits facing a little down.

And that's it! Like the OE rear fog, it's OBNOXIOUS AS ANYTHING from the rear, and should only be used in really bad weather, or to ward off tailgaters. Never use a rear fog in a Mini convoy or in good weather, as it really distracts the drivers behind you, and is not "good form".

Questions, let me know! I'll also be at MOTD...

Last edited by DixonL2; 04-20-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2009 | 08:55 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
That is very clever and original!

You can also expand on it by filling in the rest of the spots with white LEDs and hooking it up as extra backup lighting, and rigging up the reds to also turn on with the brakes.

Old 04-18-2009 | 07:36 PM
DixonL2
|
6th Gear
Yep - thought of that only after the install . Wouldn't be too difficult, use one of the LEDs as a diode to prevent backflow of current from brake lights to trailer lights (where I got my 12v+). I can also take the plug out and drill more holes, though this one is PLENTY bright! There are a LOT of permutations of this one...

Last edited by DixonL2; 04-19-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2009 | 07:39 PM
miniman101
5th Gear
Very clever... nice job.