Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Pepper White Sunroof Vinyl?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 09:05 PM
ModiMINI
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting my '04 MCS later this month (October) and it is PW/PW with Cordoba Beige interior.

I am going to put vinyl stripes on it that will go across the bonnet, then across the roof, and then down the boot and over the rear bumper. Since the roof is the same color as the body, Pepper White, and the panoramic sunroof is black, I wanted to put perforated vinyl over the sunroof to make the sunroof match the rest of the roof. However, I do not know who has matching vinyl (perforated) for the Pepper White paint color (most standard vinyl comes in plain white). Any ideas, products, or vendors come to mind?

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2003, 10:02 PM
SkAlex
4th Gear
When I first picked up my MCS, I was considdering putting a perforated white vinyl on my sunroof. However, after seeing pictures, I realized that the black velvet bordering the sunroof is still going to be there, and in my opinion, it looks even more out of place. I think tke black on the roof makes more sense than just the black rectangle from the velvet. It also matches the black in the glass between the roof and the body.

Old 10-11-2003, 10:40 PM
rrypma
4th Gear
I don't understand why everyone wants to hide their sunroofs even on a white roof. It's a window that is functional, and therefore cool to see that a car has it. Why try to hide a good thing?

Old 10-12-2003, 07:21 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My 2c:
I can see the design logic in "white-ing out" the black sunroof... But I wouldn't. Like skalex, I feel the black velvet would really start to stand out.

The problem you are facing lies in the addition of black into the color scheme. A car with too many colors does not look good. If you keep the sunroof black, you must alow for black as part of your color pallet. The good news is that black is already present in the tires, roof pillars, rocker panels, etc.

What color stripes are you planning? If the stripes you are planning are black, it will look well balanced, and not too colorful. Likely someone has photos to post of a pw Mini, sunroof and black stripes.

Also remember, that like a face, if you concentrate on one feature long enough, nothing at all looks right. Once you work the design details that makes best sense to you, others will only see the over all look and with the Mini, they are sure to love it!

God speed.

Old 10-12-2003, 05:37 PM
ModiMINI
1st Gear
This is the idea.

Don't think the stripes will look good over black, but I will have to take the black velvet surround into consideration.

Just was curious if anyone else has done the white vinyl over the sunroof with a Pepper White.

When people get the panoramic sunroof and then get the roof graphic (Union jack for example), they put vinyl over their sunroof. Isn't there a black surround showing on these as well?

Old 10-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Mini-Matt
4th Gear
We can hep you with this. I'll attach an image of a white sunroof cover on a white roof - the felt areas do not stand out. We can make the sunroof cover in Pepper White without a problem. As far as the stripes and numbers are concerned we can help you out these too.

Matt@cooperflags.com

Old 10-13-2003, 05:55 PM
ModiMINI
1st Gear
Matt,

I am curious, do you have a vinyl match to the Pepper White, or is it a printed vinyl. I have looked at your site many times, everyone on all of the forums that I visit always reference your site when it comes to vinyl graphics for the MINI.

However, I work at a design firm and we have been doing outdoor graphics in the US and especially here in Florida for many years (about 9), and I am concerned that if it is not a true vinyl, like Oracal, then in this high UV environment that I live in, I won't get more than a couple of years tops before I get color loss.

You guys at Cooper Flags know a lot more about automotive vinyl applications than I do, so just straighten me out if I am wrong, and I will only be pleasently surprised.

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2003, 06:24 PM
6f7
4th Gear
I'd go with Oracal! Oracal is a high quality exterior vinyl can be painted.

http://www.oracal.com

Old 10-13-2003, 07:32 PM
ModiMINI
1st Gear

>>I'd go with Oracal! Oracal is a high quality exterior vinyl can be painted.
>>
>>http://www.oracal.com
I prefer the Oracal vinyl, but I do not want to paint transparent vinyl (vinyl over sunroof will be transparent type I would imagine, and I think painting it would nullify that property).

Old 10-13-2003, 08:22 PM
sundancekc
2nd Gear
Here's my first hand experience with covering the sunroof. My first and only complaint about my MCS was that the sunshade didn't block out enough of the direct sun for my taste so I decided to cover the glass with solid white vinyl. In fact, I used Oracal high performance vinyl. Pics are here http://homepage.mac.com/dmpproductio...toAlbum23.html I think people cover the sunroofs because they like the classic white top look of the original Mini. I then decided to do the full UJ and I've been nothing but happy for four months. It is a matter of taste and not everyone would want to cover the sunroof. I respect that. I say if you can match the PW with high performance vinyl, go for it. I don't mind the outline of the sunroof on a white top.