Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior D1S Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009 | 08:44 PM
ninjlao
|
Ninja Mini
D1S Bulb

After I've swapped to HID Projectors I've been wanting to change the bulb out of the headlights to a different temperature rating, but I can't seem to find many companies that offer D1S bulbs in temperatures other than stock or 6000k. Anyone know a good site?

Old 04-26-2009 | 09:08 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ninjlao
After I've swapped to HID Projectors I've been wanting to change the bulb out of the headlights to a different temperature rating, but I can't seem to find many companies that offer D1S bulbs in temperatures other than stock or 6000k. Anyone know a good site?
Not sure what you're looking for but check out the Philips Ultinon bulbs (5800K). It's what comes in the high-end BMWs, Mercedes-Benz, etc. Nicest color output IMO.

Last edited by Wake|MCS; 04-26-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2009 | 10:06 PM
ninjlao
|
Ninja Mini
Originally Posted by Wake|MCS
Not sure what you're looking for but check out the Phillips Ultinon bulbs (5800K). It's what comes in the high-end BMWs, Mercedes-Benz, etc. Nicest color output IMO.
Haven't really decided on a color output yet, but I'd prefer if a place had multiple color ranges so I can decide what to go with...

Old 04-26-2009 | 10:13 PM
DjR53
4th Gear
isnt the bulb type d2s?

Old 04-26-2009 | 10:26 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DjR53
isnt the bulb type d2s?
Yes, it is lol. I thought it was a typo though.

Old 04-26-2009 | 11:51 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Haven't really decided on a color output yet, but I'd prefer if a place had multiple color ranges so I can decide what to go with...
4300K is stock on most luxury brands. It has the most lumens (light output) and is what i would highly recommend.

The colour output is created by the "cutoff" on the projector. When you want the colour output to be created by the bulb (not necessary for a projector, but necessary for the glarey riced out honda civics) you then look for a higher colour temperature.

You could look at modifying the shield in the projector or spacing the bulb to create a more purple/blue cutoff.

X 2 on the bulb, you are looking for a D2S, not a D1S. D1S is used on the second gen mini, it has the ignitor attached to the bulb.

Old 04-27-2009 | 10:27 PM
ninjlao
|
Ninja Mini
Originally Posted by JustinGTP
4300K is stock on most luxury brands. It has the most lumens (light output) and is what i would highly recommend.

The colour output is created by the "cutoff" on the projector. When you want the colour output to be created by the bulb (not necessary for a projector, but necessary for the glarey riced out honda civics) you then look for a higher colour temperature.

You could look at modifying the shield in the projector or spacing the bulb to create a more purple/blue cutoff.

X 2 on the bulb, you are looking for a D2S, not a D1S. D1S is used on the second gen mini, it has the ignitor attached to the bulb.
My car uses a D1S, not a D2S. My bulb has the igniter and the bulb built together. The version I have has superseded the older D2S style housing...
If you guys need further confirmation I can take pictures of it.

Anyways, I'm definitely not looking at purple or any of those ricey colors, but I am trying to find a nice balance between white and blue...
As far as the cutoff goes, I've already planned on modifying the shield inside the projector housing once I get started on my Joey mod.

Old 04-28-2009 | 12:14 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Congratulations on using D1S over D2S, there's no advantage.

Last edited by JustinGTP; 04-28-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-28-2009 | 07:06 AM
ninjlao
|
Ninja Mini
Congratulations on using D1S over D2S, there's no advantage.
I was merely stating the fact that the information given to me was incorrect (that I would require a D2S instead of a D1S). Thanks for the sarcasm though, rather than moving on with the topic at hand...

Old 04-28-2009 | 11:56 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
I was merely stating the fact that the information given to me was incorrect (that I would require a D2S instead of a D1S). Thanks for the sarcasm though, rather than moving on with the topic at hand...
Well, you deserved the sarcasm as you brought it first:

My car uses a D1S, not a D2S. My bulb has the igniter and the bulb built together. The version I have has superseded the older D2S style housing...
If you guys need further confirmation I can take pictures of it.
You know, since you really needed the rolling eyes smiley. You could have posted that you *know* your car takes D1S and not D2S as in your signature you have an '05, so as friendly NAM people, we just made sure you knew what bulb you needed as we assumed you have the stock HID projectors!

Also, the D1S bulb has not superseded the D2S. D2S is still in use by many car manufacturers.

Old 04-29-2009 | 10:53 AM
ninjlao
|
Ninja Mini
Well, you deserved the sarcasm as you brought it first:

You know, since you really needed the rolling eyes smiley. You could have posted that you *know* your car takes D1S and not D2S as in your signature you have an '05, so as friendly NAM people, we just made sure you knew what bulb you needed as we assumed you have the stock HID projectors!

Also, the D1S bulb has not superseded the D2S. D2S is still in use by many car manufacturers.
My sarcasm was only directed at those who would otherwise come into the forum and say that I would need a D2S after the fact...

My statement was regarding the R53 projectors about the D1S superseding the D2S, which is true.

Anyways, I've still been searching for some HID bulbs and I'm still having a hard time finding a company with a broader range of HID colors.

Old 04-29-2009 | 12:55 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Yeah, it is going to be hard to find other brands as OEM is 4300K, so major manufacturers will only make that as they know it's best (some major brands will make a 5000K). If you find an unkown brand or a cheaper brand, usually made in Asia, there are going to be other things to consider. Quality of components and distance of the xenon light source to the base of the bulb (this will affect output of the projector). I truely think you would be happy with a stock bulb by a quality producer (Phillips, Osram, etc) and the colour modding would get the cool colour you are looking for.

Old 05-01-2009 | 12:46 PM
M!N!-ME
3rd Gear
http://bimman.com/HIU/MN

Here you go I plan on getting these myself