Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How to remove chrome pieces

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:39 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove chrome pieces

So on the next nice day we have here in CT i plan on remove all the chrome pieces from my 08 AB MCS and PlastiDip them. I picked up a couple of cans and can't wait to get this started. Today i was looking at the chrome pieces and tried to take a few off. Wel i'm a bit stuck.

1) Gas cap. I've read about the tab that you use a screwdriver to pop off and it wn't seem to "pop". I don't want to push to hard and break it.

2) Head light and tail light rings. I've read that you have to remove the whoel headlight to get them off. Anybody get around this. If not that will just make me do the Joey mod as well as everything else. Not with PlastiDip though. And tail light rings as well any advice.

3) Side scuttle. I can get the whole piece with light off. I can't get the chrome piece off. Again i don't want to pull to hard on anything and break it.

4) The chrome around the grill. I see that the top piece has screws that just come out but it's the bottom that i can't figure out.

5) the interior. I didn't get the chrome interior but i would still like to get the rings around the speedo and display painted black. Anyone try this or know how to remove them.

6) Last but not least i will also be dechromeing the key fob. Much thansk to atko3 for figuring out that the chrome ring just pops right of the key fob. That is how much i dislike chrome. I don't even want it on my key.

7) What is the best way to reattach the emblems and the cooper on the boot once i remove them to paint them.

Thanks for any advice in adance. As son as i have this al done i will have pictures posted.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha, it's funny how most people want more chrome and you want none. furthering my argument that we MINI owners are nuts :-)

Old 05-05-2009, 05:32 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Thanks for the advice, i'll take a note on your advice.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:24 AM
drno
3rd Gear
removing bottom chrome grill part
you do NOT have to remove the grill to remove this part. open the hood and look down to where you figure the end of the chrome strip to be. you will see the tip of the chrome sticking out from under a painted metal strip . just push down on the chrome piece and pull out on the outside end. then slowly pull the remainder of the strip toward the center and you will see the clips . i then just pushed down slightly on the clips and pulled and off it came. it has been said that putting tape on the top if the bumper will prevent scratches. i was replacing my grill surround with the jcw black surround so i had the advantage of looking at the part before trying to remove the chrome on. the info came from peter at minspeed

Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by willsblackmini08
So on the next nice day we have here in CT i plan on remove all the chrome pieces from my 08 AB MCS and PlastiDip them. I picked up a couple of cans and can't wait to get this started. Today i was looking at the chrome pieces and tried to take a few off. Wel i'm a bit stuck.

1) Gas cap. I've read about the tab that you use a screwdriver to pop off and it wn't seem to "pop". I don't want to push to hard and break it.

2) Head light and tail light rings. I've read that you have to remove the whoel headlight to get them off. Anybody get around this. If not that will just make me do the Joey mod as well as everything else. Not with PlastiDip though. And tail light rings as well any advice.

3) Side scuttle. I can get the whole piece with light off. I can't get the chrome piece off. Again i don't want to pull to hard on anything and break it.

4) The chrome around the grill. I see that the top piece has screws that just come out but it's the bottom that i can't figure out.

5) the interior. I didn't get the chrome interior but i would still like to get the rings around the speedo and display painted black. Anyone try this or know how to remove them.

6) Last but not least i will also be dechromeing the key fob. Much thansk to atko3 for figuring out that the chrome ring just pops right of the key fob. That is how much i dislike chrome. I don't even want it on my key.

7) What is the best way to reattach the emblems and the cooper on the boot once i remove them to paint them.

Thanks for any advice in adance. As son as i have this al done i will have pictures posted.

2) you don't have to remove the headlights to get to the rings on the newer model like you have. Open the hood and look by the edges of the 2 headlight holes. There are little black metal clips that hold the rings on. Use a flat head screw driver to pop them through. The taillight rings are super easy. Get a glasses flat head and put a microfiber over it. Now wedge that between the taillight and the ring. Start at the top corner and pop all around.

4) the bottom piece is tool less. Go to the extreme ends of the grill part itself and look inside between the grill and radiator. There will be a tab sticking out that you just push down and simultaneously pull the lower piece toward you.

5) the interior is more work than its honestly worth (I wanted to do it, but found not worth it). The rings do not come off on their own. They are riveted to the rest of the dash pieces. So if you want to paint them outside of the car, you need to take apart the whole dash. No matter what you have to mask off all the pieces, so if you are willing you could paint while still in the car. I didn't want to take apart because I could only imagine the new creeks and rattles and inside I knew the smell and overspray would be unavoidable.

7) those are as simple as putting some heavy duty outdoor 3M double stick tape. When you take them off, just be careful not to scratch the paint.

Goodluck

Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 AM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
checkercoop thanks for the advice

I got home last night around 12:30 am, joys of managing a restaurant. Well i'm sitting there playing some video games and stop and see the can of plasti dip. Well my mind started running. I ran out in the rain and pulled the whole side scuttle off. I masked off everything except for the chrome. Grabbed and empty beer box and went to a back hallway of my apartment building. I started to spray. After the first coat went on so easily and looked so good i then ran out and grabbed the tail rings. Came off very easily, i did though break on of the top tabes on the passenger side. Sprayed those. So i'm sitting there waiting for them to dry and figure f@*% it i'll run out in the rain again and pull the grill off. It's now 3:30 am. so i masked off the honeycomb from the lover chrome and start to spray. I also poped the chrome ring off my key fob and sprayed that. I never went to sleep last night because i was dying to see what it all looked like. I would have pulled more off but i can't figure out how to get the gas cap off i i didn't want to rush the headlight rings. Plus i ran out of PlastiDip, i thought i bought two cans but i only bought one. Everything came out great even the key fob which i was a little worried about, it was a real pain to get it covered evenly. I'm gonna pick up some more PlastiDip tonight and probably hit the headlight rings tonight and gass cap if i can ever figure out how to get it off. And i'm gonna go and do the beltline right now with the super 33+ 3m stuff.

Thanks again for the advice, your car looks great and i'll have pictures up as soon as it's all done.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where in CT are you?
I just did my emblems and i used 3M double sided tape, the thick spongy red type (red lining, gray colored adhesive).
I'm at uconn, well until finals are over on friday and i'll be heading home sunday, but if you were close i'd offer my assistance!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:21 AM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
I'm in Bridgeport and Darien. I live in Bridgeport and work in Darien. I manage the Melting pot. What is the exact name of that 3M tape. I don't want the badge sticking up to much. I want it to sit flat liek its factory. And what did you do to remove the badges? And do you have any idea how to remove the gas cap it's the only part i'm realy stuck on.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
#6 If you wait long enough all of the "chrome" will wear off of the fob.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:15 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tjtull
#6 If you wait long enough all of the "chrome" will wear off of the fob.
It was wearing off that is what sparked the idea for it.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Dude dont do it. Body color instead

Old 05-08-2009, 02:43 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
DONE!!!!!!

I have everything done except for the door handles which will be ordered from AC. It came out amazing. The only thing i need to do is pull the tape off the beltline and mask off the whole car and hit it with PlastiDip.

I will have pictures up soon.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:02 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
DONE!!!!!!

I have everything done except for the door handles which will be ordered from AC. It came out amazing. The only thing i need to do is pull the tape off the beltline and mask off the whole car and hit it with PlastiDip.

I will have pictures up soon.
-I am right behind you! ...although I am sanding, priming and re-painting my parts in gloss black (to match the gloss black hood and mirrors on my car).
Your pulling your beltline trim? -I may tape and paint mine The vinyl tape (I just put on) works okay, yet you ahve to be kind of delicate around it as it seems to want to come off easily.

Let me know how you get the gas cap off ...i'll be doing that part soon as well.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:02 PM
jfchamp
2nd Gear
Guess you figured it out now, but the trick to get the gas cap off is by turning it, i cant remember if it's clockwise or counter clockwise but just try to turn it and it comes off easy!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:20 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eR1c
-I am right behind you! ...although I am sanding, priming and re-painting my parts in gloss black (to match the gloss black hood and mirrors on my car).
Your pulling your beltline trim? -I may tape and paint mine The vinyl tape (I just put on) works okay, yet you ahve to be kind of delicate around it as it seems to want to come off easily.

Let me know how you get the gas cap off ...i'll be doing that part soon as well.
I'm not going to pull the whole beltline off, i'm just gonna tape close to it and cover the rest of the car with plastic and PlastiDip the whole line. It's gonna be one hell of a project.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
just completed painting my tail-light rings black.

gas cap is for this weekend. ...Will, did you get your cap off? did you just turn it as another user suggested? Which way, clockwise or counter?

thanks,

Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
counterclockwise when you are looking at the chrome

Old 05-13-2009, 01:40 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
Thanks Will!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Rowingscot
Neutral
removing chrome pieces

Did you take any picture as you removed the rings and grille

Old 05-14-2009, 02:20 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
Gas cap, hmmm, i am putting a lot of presure on it as I turn counter clockwise and it's not coming off. I am afraid I am going to break it.

Is it the cas cap your talking about, -the chrome part that swings out?

Or are you talking about the outer paint colored ring?

(I am turning the actual chrome cap).

Old 05-14-2009, 02:50 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Look on the inside of the cap, the black backing. Then look at the very top you will see a little tab. Use a flat head screwdriver and pull the tab down and twist the chrome part counter clockwise. it will come right off. just don't be to hard on the tab or it will break. Once you figure it out you will realize how easy it is.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:56 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
Thanks! -got it! ...I didn't know about the tab and using a screw driver to pry it.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:58 PM
codesad
1st Gear
Chrome Headlight Ring Removal

Hey all. im looking to remove the chrome headlight rings on my 2009 black mini as well. i popped the hood and took a look at what may be involved, and i saw the black clips. i couldnt figure out how to pop them out without using a ton of pressure using a flathead screwdriver. i then got nervous i was going to break something...there are 6 clips per ring from what i remember when i was out there..am i missing something on how they come off? the gas cap was a breeze. but the front headlight ring feels risky..any detailed help is appreciated..

Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by codesad
Hey all. im looking to remove the chrome headlight rings on my 2009 black mini as well. i popped the hood and took a look at what may be involved, and i saw the black clips. i couldnt figure out how to pop them out without using a ton of pressure using a flathead screwdriver. i then got nervous i was going to break something...there are 6 clips per ring from what i remember when i was out there..am i missing something on how they come off? the gas cap was a breeze. but the front headlight ring feels risky..any detailed help is appreciated..
A recent thing I just figured out when I was touching up the ring's paint was to use a channellock to squeeze the longer portion of the clips and just push them out by hand. They are sort of held by a T principle so you just need to push the ends together so they don't grip the hood. Then all it takes is some hand power to get them out

Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 PM
codesad
1st Gear
Chrome Headlight Rings

i will take a shot again at them over the weekend following your instruction. thanks again..ill post how i made out...thanks for the help..!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior How to remove chrome pieces