Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Matching factory gauges

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:17 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New gauge faces. Let me know what you think. I believe the oil temp range is not high enough, but let me know. If that's the case, they will cost more because Marshall will have to buy more expensive sending units and redesign the gauge. I will also have to commit to buy more, and, since only about a quarter of the people who expressed interest in these gauges have actually bought any, I would have to take deposits for the new ones.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Marshall oil pressure sender is a bit bigger and heavier than I imagined. No big deal per se, but I'm wondering about all of that sender mass hanging off the side of the tapless adapter and the stress it puts completely on the adapter's 3/8 NPT threads at the base of the oil filter.

I guess the tapless adapter is beefy enough to deal with the stress?

OBTW, the Oil Temp and Voltmeter gauge faces look great to me Steve. Can't speak to the temp range.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 AM
searocko
4th Gear
Steve,

I think the oil temp gauge should go up to at least 300 degrees. People that track their cars without oil coolers can easily hit 280+. Their current SCX gauge goes up to 300. http://www.marshallinstruments.com/products/5435.cfm Although that's probably not the stepper version. Are there different senders for the different versions?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:52 AM
rjb
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by searocko
Steve,

I think the oil temp gauge should go up to at least 300 degrees. People that track their cars without oil coolers can easily hit 280+. Their current SCX gauge goes up to 300. http://www.marshallinstruments.com/products/5435.cfm Although that's probably not the stepper version. Are there different senders for the different versions?
While I can't speak for the Mini Oil Temp , I tend to agree with 300 degrees, I tracked an '86 Vette without an oil cooler, and the temperature would peak at around 306 degrees F. Granted that's a V8, but no turbo...

Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rjb
While I can't speak for the Mini Oil Temp , I tend to agree with 300 degrees, I tracked an '86 Vette without an oil cooler, and the temperature would peak at around 306 degrees F. Granted that's a V8, but no turbo...
That's what I expected. My Chrono gauge goes to 320°F and I see close to 300°F on the track. It will take longer to produce and I will need commitment before I go ahead. These will be steppers with peak recall and warnings. I'll have the stepper vac/boost (no recall or warnings) gauges by Monday for $129.50.

Steve

Old 09-24-2009, 12:13 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
The Marshall oil pressure sender is a bit bigger and heavier than I imagined. No big deal per se, but I'm wondering about all of that sender mass hanging off the side of the tapless adapter and the stress it puts completely on the adapter's 3/8 NPT threads at the base of the oil filter.

I guess the tapless adapter is beefy enough to deal with the stress?

OBTW, the Oil Temp and Voltmeter gauge faces look great to me Steve. Can't speak to the temp range.
Thanks. That's why I like the CravenSpeed adapters; they are not likely to fail.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:52 PM
searocko
4th Gear
Got my gauges today. Thanks for the quick shipping, Steve!

Put me down for an oil temp gauge with the higher temp range.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by searocko
Got my gauges today. Thanks for the quick shipping, Steve!

Put me down for an oil temp gauge with the higher temp range.
Will do! Thanks.

Steve

Old 09-25-2009, 04:25 PM
dbrl
1st Gear
Installation

Looking for install instructions. 09 JCW installing a water temp (stepper) and boost gauge. Do not no of mini mechanic in Milwaukee other then dealer so not sure if I wiil install myself or my garage mechanic.

HELP

Old 09-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dbrl
Looking for install instructions. 09 JCW installing a water temp (stepper) and boost gauge. Do not no of mini mechanic in Milwaukee other then dealer so not sure if I wiil install myself or my garage mechanic.

HELP
Besides the gauges what did you buy from Steve? This way someone can help you.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:57 AM
dbrl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
Besides the gauges what did you buy from Steve? This way someone can help you.
I am the one looking for install advise. Mechanical boost, stepper water, cravenspeed bracket a, cups, hotlink gen2, psiclone adapter.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
When you install the gauges I would use the following three web sites for information as they will help you out, keep in mind that some of the products are slightly different so your going to have to apply some knowledge to the installation as you go about this project,

http://www.m7tuning.com/techinfo/ins...se-coupler.pdf

http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php?categoryID=7

http://www.altaperformance.com/

Between the three of them you can see how they installed the water temp adapter, the boost pick up and the frame and cups on the tach. For the wire hook up for the stepper follow the instructions as I did not install the stepper but rather opted for the non stepper electrical gauge instead. Alta has a good write up on the web site for the gauge installation of wire routing the windshield wiper blade removal and installation is a little tricky just make sure you mark where your blades are prior to removing them it makes reinstallation easier. This is not a project your going to finish in one hour so when you start work on it I would recommend that it be with a weekend ahead of you. As for wiring on the gauges I did not hook up the white light as it drowns out the amber light. Some people might choose to have a switch that would allow them to go from white during the day to amber at night however I did not go this direction. For hook up use a meter and check your voltage prior to starting then once you get the front cover in front of the window over your battery is off and your ready to start routing your wires disconnect the battery until your connections are made. Lots of information is available on the WEB or more specifically on NAM as you go forward on this project. Look at your information then use what you like from each of the sites you go to. If it is something you would rather not tackle (I can understand as SRTech did my install) then contact SRTech and see about getting them installed at AMVIV 7 as Custom Mini Shop goes every year as a vendor.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:02 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Here's the face for the new oil temperature gauge.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:05 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
CravenSpeed is still holding up some orders because they provided the wrong mounting hardware. I should have the proper parts in a couple of days. Sorry for the delay. I will extend the group buy until the middle of October.

Steve

Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 PM
marshallinstruments
Neutral
Lighting Wiring

Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Any chance on getting a definitive word from someone on the gauge lighting? There seems to be a split opinion in this thread as to whether the white and amber lighting is an either/or option from Marshall (with amber matching the OEM MINI gauges), or whether both lights are required to be connected simultaneously to match the OEM look.
For amber lighting at night connect the orange wire to your 12V dash lighting circuit so that the gauge amber lighting turns on when you turn on your dash lighting/headlights.

The white wire is for white light at night. You most likely will not want this so just cut and seal the white lighting wire. You do not need to connect the white wire if all you want is amber light.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:22 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got my fedex number w/ all my cravenspeed goodies & both stepper boost & stepper water temp A big thanks to Paul, Steve, & Fingerpointer for getting these done !

Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 AM
rjb
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by marshallinstruments
For amber lighting at night connect the orange wire to your 12V dash lighting circuit so that the gauge amber lighting turns on when you turn on your dash lighting/headlights.

The white wire is for white light at night. You most likely will not want this so just cut and seal the white lighting wire. You do not need to connect the white wire if all you want is amber light.
This past weekend I installed my gauges (Mech. Boost, Stepper motor Oil pressure and Stepper motor Water temp). Everything works well, except for the lighting on the stepper motor gauges (Mech boost gauge OK). I noticed that the instructions say that the back lighting is not compatible with most cars dinner switches. After installing and tapping off the wire for the back lighting at the DSC switch, the backlighting only comes on when the dimmer is close to full bright and the lighting does not dim. I guess this is as expected after I read the instructions . Anyone installed stepper motor gauges yet? If so how did you deal with the back lighting (this issue seems to be unique to the stepper motor Gauges). I see that Marshall sells a dimmer switch for stepper motor gauges (http://www.marshallinstruments.com/products/9235.cfm), but this would not be my preferred solution as I would like to use the stock dimmer switch to set the back lighting.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:09 PM
dbrl
1st Gear
3 gauges

RBJ, just wondering where you put the 3 guages

Old 10-05-2009, 01:10 PM
dbrl
1st Gear
i mean rjb

Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 PM
rjb
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dbrl
RBJ, just wondering where you put the 3 guages

Mounted them around the tach using the Cravenspeed "A bracket" and pods...Here is a couple of pictures...

Attached Thumbnails Matching factory gauges-mod0001_2.jpg   Matching factory gauges-mod0001_3.jpg  
Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rjb
Mounted them around the tach using the Cravenspeed "A bracket" and pods...Here is a couple of pictures...
Very cool

Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rjb

Old 10-06-2009, 05:33 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rjb
That's very nice. It's good to see more pictures of the gauges mounted. The group buy is still on for the procrastinators. Volts and Oil Temp will be here soon in the stepper version.

Steve

Old 10-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My install is underway, but I'm waiting to hear a response to rjb's lighting question prior to wiring everything up. If the instrument lighting supply doesn't adequately support the gauge lighting, I'd rather have an independent rheostat rather than have no adjustment at all.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:45 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm still holding off on installing as well. I'm not too keen on having a separate rheostat to adjust the gauge lighting as it kinda cheapens the feel of the vehicle...

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Matching factory gauges