Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Matching factory gauges

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clutchless
So it appears if I get the step gauge water temp there are dimmer issues, if I get the basic gauge it does not really fit. Then I am not sure if i need the "Hot link (gen2) water temp adaptor for $54.

It appears the cost would be $228. Basic Water Temp gauge $53.50, Shipping $10, Gauge Cup $49, Bracket single $40, hot link $54 plus a hose connector for the sensor $30 from Summit Racing.

Now I am leaning towards the overly expensive but versatile PLX DM-200 OBDII gauge for $380 (plus pods) since it can be programmed via a laptop to look exactly like a MINI gauge, plugs into the OBD port and can show much more in one gauge.
Clutchless, is there not an additional cost for each one of the sensor modules? Additionally you have the whole mounting issue. Over to you on which way your wanting to go I'm just glad that Steve was able to work out an option from Paul to have a gauge that works and looks good.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:23 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
So it appears if I get the step gauge water temp there are dimmer issues, if I get the basic gauge it does not really fit. Then I am not sure if i need the "Hot link (gen2) water temp adaptor for $54.

It appears the cost would be $228. Basic Water Temp gauge $53.50, Shipping $10, Gauge Cup $49, Bracket single $40, hot link $54 plus a hose connector for the sensor $30 from Summit Racing.

Now I am leaning towards the overly expensive but versatile PLX DM-200 OBDII gauge for $380 (plus pods) since it can be programmed via a laptop to look exactly like a MINI gauge, plugs into the OBD port and can show much more in one gauge.
All the gauges fit the CravenSpeed cups, it's just the optional cup caps that need a little modding for some of the gauges. The Autometer hose adapter is for the R53 and is the same thing as the Hot Link for the R56. All sender units are provided with the gauges.

Steve

Old 10-15-2009, 11:21 AM
rjb
3rd Gear

I'm working on a circuit that will dim the stepper motor gauge lighting using the factory dimmer switch...I have a prototype working on my bench now and I am hoping to get it tested in the car this weekend. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

I want to thank Paul from Marshall for his patience in answering my questions

Old 10-16-2009, 03:04 PM
PA-MCS
3rd Gear
Here's my boost gauge install. Fed-Ex delivered it Tuesday and I didnt get home til later that night. I had my cravenspeed mount already installed, so I did a test fit. Here it is....

But it was short lived... I brought everything back in from my car and put everything back in the box. Next morning I headed off to work. I get home from work and I find my box missing. I asked my wife "where's my box?" "What box? I thought it was trash?" But wait, it gets worse... that morning was trash day.

So SRTech you have a PM coming your way....

Attached Thumbnails Matching factory gauges-miniboost.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Ouch, at least it was just the gauges it could have been worst. I knew a guy who was a sales rep working a major Nascar race he had over 3000.00 in cash in an envelope which his wife thought was trash. He also never found his package..

Old 10-18-2009, 05:33 PM
rjb
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rjb
I'm working on a circuit that will dim the stepper motor gauge lighting using the factory dimmer switch...I have a prototype working on my bench now and I am hoping to get it tested in the car this weekend. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

I want to thank Paul from Marshall for his patience in answering my questions
I've created a small module that will dim the Stepper motor gauge lighting using the factory dimmer switch. I know it works with the R56, but if anyone has a R53 and is willing to give it a try I'd be happy to send one to them to try. It's fairly simple to wire up (4 wires). Please PM me if interested.

This will eliminate the need for the external dimmer from Marshall.

On another note...Does anyone know the wire color for either the parking lights or tail lights on an R56 and where the easiest place to tap into it from inside the vehicle?

Attached Thumbnails Matching factory gauges-mod0001_4.jpg  
Old 10-18-2009, 05:48 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rjb
I've created a small module that will dim the Stepper motor gauge lighting using the factory dimmer switch. I know it works with the R56, but if anyone has a R53 and is willing to give it a try I'd be happy to send one to them to try. It's fairly simple to wire up (4 wires). Please PM me if interested.

This will eliminate the need for the external dimmer from Marshall.

On another note...Does anyone know the wire color for either the parking lights or tail lights on an R56 and where the easiest place to tap into it from inside the vehicle?
Can you send one to Steve? I know I would be interested in one.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 PM
tcowden
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by meh
I used the grey/purple wire that runs in the harness from the fuse box to the tail light. Easy to access by taking the kick panel off in front of the fuse box and putting a quick connect just before the side of the seat.
Which wire? There are a lot of wires in that bundle! I found a gray with a purple stripe, but it's only 3V.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 10-18-2009, 09:45 PM
tcowden
2nd Gear
Vac/Boost pressure

Can anyone tell me what readings, or range, I should see on the vac/boost gauge?

I installed it this weekend, but it seems to be running low. Would using a PSIclone or other MAF piggy-back adapter impact the reading versus the T-connector that is supplied in the kit?

Thanks again,
Tom

Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 PM
searocko
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SRTech
I measured the heater hose for the water temp adapter again and discovered that it is 5/8" inside diameter. I previously measured the stretched hose at 3/4" So below should be the correct adapter.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...il.aspx?vid=49
Steve, just to clarify which hose to splice into... is this the hose from the thermostat housing that has a T in it to connect to the skinny vent hose from the coolant expansion tank?

Old 10-19-2009, 04:29 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tcowden
Can anyone tell me what readings, or range, I should see on the vac/boost gauge?

I installed it this weekend, but it seems to be running low. Would using a PSIclone or other MAF piggy-back adapter impact the reading versus the T-connector that is supplied in the kit?

Thanks again,
Tom
On a R56 I'm running around 20 vac going down the Grapevine and peak boost once warmed up of 12 with sustained of 10. As for the adapter vs T fitting I know that mine has a MAF adapter. Steve would be a great one to answer if it is making a difference though.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
meh
2nd Gear
Which wire? There are a lot of wires in that bundle! I found a gray with a purple stripe, but it's only 3V.

Thanks,
Tom
I pulled the plug off from the left taillight to find the feed for the lights; just found the same wire in the harness up front and it was the one needed.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by searocko
Steve, just to clarify which hose to splice into... is this the hose from the thermostat housing that has a T in it to connect to the skinny vent hose from the coolant expansion tank?
Yes, that's the hose. It has another "T" farther along, also.

Steve

Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
On a R56 I'm running around 20 vac going down the Grapevine and peak boost once warmed up of 12 with sustained of 10. As for the adapter vs T fitting I know that mine has a MAF adapter. Steve would be a great one to answer if it is making a difference though.
I don't see how it would make a difference since it taps the intake manifold. I don't know where you would use the "T" connector on an R56, anyway.

Steve

Old 10-20-2009, 09:10 AM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so to avoid looking at 18 pages, are these gauges available for sale?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
I'll try to keep this on the current page of this thread. Group Buy still on through the end of October.

Group Buy Prices:

Vac/Boost, 30" Hg - 30 PSI (mechanical) $47.50

Oil pressure, 0-100 PSI (electric) $59.50

Oil pressure, 0-100 PSI (stepper) $83.50

Water temperature, 100-260°F (electric) $53.50

Water temperature, 100-260°F (stepper) $77.50

Dimmer for stepper gauges $25.00

Oil pressure and water temperature gauges include the sending unit with 1/8" NPT connection.

Stepper motor gauges have peak recall and warning functions.

Shipping is $10 in the lower 48 states. Hawaii, Alaska and non-USA destinations will be determined individually.

The CravenSpeed mounting and adapters are going to be 10% off list price for this group buy. If you have any other CravenSpeed requests, I will offer 10% off those items during this group buy. Anyone with existing CravenSpeed mounts should be aware that the new mounts are powder coated instead of anodized so they won't match perfectly. I still have a few anodized pieces in stock so let me know.

Gauge Cup (52mm) gen1 and gen2 $49.00
Gauge Cup (dual 52mm) gen1 and gen2 $71.00
Bracket X (gen1) tach mount for cups $30.00
Bracket ZL (gen1) cup mount for chrono/nav $40.00
Bracket ZR (gen1) cup mount for chrono/nav $40.00
Bracket A (gen2) cup mount $45.00
Bracket R (gen2) single cup mount $40.00
Cup Caps (52mm) caps for back of cups $26.00
Tapless Adapter (gen1) oil pressure adapter $44.00
Tapless Adapter (gen2) oil pressure adapter $67.00
Hot Link (gen2) water temp adapter $54.00
PSIClone (gen2) vac/boost adapter $35.00

Please e-mail your billing and shipping addresses to gaugegb@blackoaks.com. Be sure to include your phone number and the gauges and mountings you want to buy. I will e-mail you an invoice for you to OK and then you can call me or vice-versa for the CC info. Some have e-mailed me the CC info which is OK if you are comfortable with that. I do not bill until I ship. I have not received the gauges yet so I expect to start shipping next week. You can call me if you have questions at 559.320.0004 Thanks.

Steve

Old 10-20-2009, 10:08 AM
searocko
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SRTech
Yes, that's the hose. It has another "T" farther along, also.

Steve
Thanks!

Any idea when the oil temp gauge will be available for purchase?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mistro
so to avoid looking at 18 pages, are these gauges available for sale?
Contact SRTech he had a few gauges left the other day. His information is on this page.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:20 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by searocko
Thanks!

Any idea when the oil temp gauge will be available for purchase?
Should be a couple of weeks.

Steve

Old 10-20-2009, 06:06 PM
dbrl
1st Gear
Gauges installed

Just got my JCW back from BMW with my new gauges. I could not be happier. They look great. Stepper water temp and boost gauge, now I just have to understand how to read a use the boost gauge. It seems it is on the vacumm side of the gauge most of the time. This is my first turbo car, any clues? Anyway many thanks to Steve, he did a great job!

Dave

Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dbrl
Just got my JCW back from BMW with my new gauges. I could not be happier. They look great. Stepper water temp and boost gauge, now I just have to understand how to read a use the boost gauge. It seems it is on the vacumm side of the gauge most of the time. This is my first turbo car, any clues? Anyway many thanks to Steve, he did a great job!

Dave
Dave your normally going to show the vac it is when you get on it that you should show the boost. Take it out make sure the local PD is not around or keep it legal and have fun..

Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hooked up my boost tonight Yep, mostly vacuum, only at WOT is there boost, looked like 12 psi, but that was in my garage . Hopefully tomorrow night I am going to install my new Scangauge2

Old 10-21-2009, 04:32 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear

Thanks again,
Tom
Tom what range are you seeing? On my 08 down the highway Vac is running 5-10 down hill 20. Boost when first nailed 12 sustained 10. Let us know what your seeing on your 07.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:17 AM
rjb
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
'09 JCW in sport mode ("over boost" function I believe) Seeing around 20 vac cruising and boost of 19 PSI peak and sustained around 14-16 PSI. Until I bounced of the rev limiter...lol. Paying too much attention to the boost and not enough to the tach...

Old 10-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rjb
'09 JCW in sport mode ("over boost" function I believe) Seeing around 20 vac cruising and boost of 19 PSI peak and sustained around 14-16 PSI. Until I bounced of the rev limiter...lol. Paying too much attention to the boost and not enough to the tach...

Nice numbers I will have to play with mine in sports mode to see if it makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Matching factory gauges