Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Matching factory gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:59 AM
fingershooter
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding everyone's request for a group buy on these gauges, I have spoken with Marshall and they receptive to the idea. They indicated to get the group buy discount the entire order needed to be ship to a single address. As far as prices, that will be dependent on order volume.

So when I get the new gauges I will post pictures (day and night) of them so people can decide if they are interested or not. Now my current work load for the next 3 or 4 months really does not afford me the time to spearhead a group buy.

So I am looking for a person who would like to head up this effort and be the group buyer. Anyone interested?

Old 05-16-2009, 08:09 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fingershooter
So I am looking for a person who would like to head up this effort and be the group buyer. Anyone interested?
I think this would work out best if you could get one of the NAM vendors involved. Someone needs to carry these if Marshal isn't really interested in doing retail sales.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:28 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
go figure, I was just checking out the Marshall website and the stock silver trim (without the chrome or black snap on rings) appears to be a perfect match for the standard interior.

I would like to know if they're only doing the 3 gauges you listed or if their full line will be available. I would prefer the electric boost gauge.
Fingerpointer, can you tell us if the electric (and the mechanical) gauges do the full sweep/animation on startup ?

Old 05-17-2009, 08:18 AM
rjb
3rd Gear
Regarding everyone's request for a group buy on these gauges, I have spoken with Marshall and they receptive to the idea. They indicated to get the group buy discount the entire order needed to be ship to a single address. As far as prices, that will be dependent on order volume.

So when I get the new gauges I will post pictures (day and night) of them so people can decide if they are interested or not. Now my current work load for the next 3 or 4 months really does not afford me the time to spearhead a group buy.

What is their retail pricing for these gauges? Does it include the sender? There web site seems to have everything, but the price. Do they sell direct or do I need to go through a vendor?

I'd actually be interested in four of them (not sure how cluttered it's going to look, but for track events I want as much info as possible) The water temp, oil temp, oil pressure and boost.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:39 AM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might be interested in a mechanical boost if the chrome ring was available

Last edited by mistro; 05-18-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:39 PM
fingershooter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by n1tr0
go figure, I was just checking out the Marshall website and the stock silver trim (without the chrome or black snap on rings) appears to be a perfect match for the standard interior.

I would like to know if they're only doing the 3 gauges you listed or if their full line will be available. I would prefer the electric boost gauge.
Fingerpointer, can you tell us if the electric (and the mechanical) gauges do the full sweep/animation on startup ?
Currently they have indicated that they are starting with the following three gauges:

- Water temperature (electric)
- Oil pressure (electric)
- Boost / Vac ( mechanical)

As to your question about the electric Boost/Vac, yes it does have the same 270 degree sweep, however if you look at the web site you will notice a difference at the zero point of the gauge. On the mechanical according to Marshall (and most of the other manufactures as well) there is a range for where the gauge zeros at. On the electric it stops at zero on the gauge. I am not a gauge expert so I won't be able to explain why this occurs.

Last edited by fingershooter; 05-17-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: update error with water gauge type.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:41 PM
fingershooter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rjb
What is their retail pricing for these gauges? Does it include the sender? There web site seems to have everything, but the price. Do they sell direct or do I need to go through a vendor?

I'd actually be interested in four of them (not sure how cluttered it's going to look, but for track events I want as much info as possible) The water temp, oil temp, oil pressure and boost.
The prices that I paid for the two gauges that I ordered were:

- Boost/Vac (mechanical) - 59.50
- Oil Pressure (electric) - 64.50 (the extra 5.00 is for the sender which is included.

I was able to order direct from them and they didn't have an issue with it.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:13 PM
searocko
4th Gear
Currently they have indicated that they are starting with the following three gauges:

- Water pressure (electric)
I think you mean water temperature instead of pressure.

I would want those 3 in addition to an oil temperature gauge. What would take for them to produce a matching one?

Old 05-17-2009, 03:41 PM
PA-MCS
3rd Gear
The prices that I paid for the two gauges that I ordered were:

- Boost/Vac (mechanical) - 59.50
- Oil Pressure (electric) - 64.50 (the extra 5.00 is for the sender which is included.

I was able to order direct from them and they didn't have an issue with it.

does the price include the chrome trim?? not a bad price already, I've paid more for my autometer that dont match.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:10 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear

- Water pressure (electric)

As to your question about the electric Boost/Vac, yes it does have the same 270 degree sweep, however if you look at the web site you will notice a difference at the zero point of the gauge. On the mechanical according to Marshall (and most of the other manufactures as well) there is a range for where the gauge zeros at. On the electric it stops at zero on the gauge. I am not a gauge expert so I won't be able to explain why this occurs.
I emailed Paul as well to express my interest. I'm really after the electric Boost/Vac, they just seem to last longer and it's easier to route a wire than a hose. Cost sounds really cheap, $100 each would still be quite inexpensive for such a well matched gauge.
My question about the sweep was actually about their startup animation, eg. do the needles go through the full range before returning to zero on startup ?

Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 PM
fingershooter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by searocko
I think you mean water temperature instead of pressure.

I would want those 3 in addition to an oil temperature gauge. What would take for them to produce a matching one?
Thanks for the catch, you are correct. I have updated the previous post to reflect this.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:22 PM
fingershooter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by n1tr0
I emailed Paul as well to express my interest. I'm really after the electric Boost/Vac, they just seem to last longer and it's easier to route a wire than a hose. Cost sounds really cheap, $100 each would still be quite inexpensive for such a well matched gauge.
My question about the sweep was actually about their startup animation, eg. do the needles go through the full range before returning to zero on startup ?
The oil pressure gauge (electric) that I have does this everytime you provide power to it initially. The boost/vac (mechanical) does not go through this startup procedure.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:26 PM
fingershooter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PA-MCS
does the price include the chrome trim?? not a bad price already, I've paid more for my autometer that dont match.
It does not, however I'm not sure how much it is. I will try and find out tomorrow and post it.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by discodan
electric or mechanical? (which is better for a daily driver BTW?)what is color of the ring around gauge if not chrome?
temp and boost here as well if GB happens
there hasent been a mechanicle guage on a factory car in at least 10-15 years now. electrical are much more precise.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:07 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by muladesigns1
there hasent been a mechanicle guage on a factory car in at least 10-15 years now. electrical are much more precise.
Electrical gauges aren't inherently more precise or more accurate, and they have a drawback that they typically only provide 90 degrees of sweep, unless you go with the more-expensive full-sweep electrical gauges.

But for most purposes, electrical gauges are the only sensible option. You can't have a mechanical voltmeter or ammeter, and it would be difficult to have a mechanical fuel gauge or coolant/oil temperature gauge. Just about the only commonly-used factory gauge where a mechanical unit would make sense would be an oil pressure gauge, and that would require plumbing an oil line all the way into the cabin. Most automakers don't want to do that because of the potential for leaks.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool, my mechanic as also talked to Paul from Marshall about these "new" gauges. I wanted the original SCX gauges but my mechanic told me to wait. Now I can't wait to see the new ones I have also seen the originals mounted in a R56, they look great!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:59 AM
fingershooter
2nd Gear
So I just got off the phone with Paul from Marshall and here is the word regarding the chrome rings. The gauges currently come with a glossy black ring in the box, however Paul indicated that if you prefer the chrome he would substitute the black for the chrome at no charge. If you want both rings the retail price is $3.95 each. Of course if a group buy were done the price would drop.

Paul also indicated they are coming out with new internal motors for the electric gauges called "stepper" motors which will increase the responsiveness of the gauge. These are supposed to be coming out right about the same time the gauge faces will be completed.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I am interested in a mechanical boost gauge and electric water temp. I already have a boost gauge and it is all plumbed in so should be not a large problem to swap out gauges. I wonder just where folks that want to use an electric boost gauge will tap into for the connection.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:24 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Paul also indicated they are coming out with new internal motors for the electric gauges called "stepper" motors which will increase the responsiveness of the gauge. These are supposed to be coming out right about the same time the gauge faces will be completed.
Stepper motor gauges usually run 2-3 times more than regular gauges.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:31 PM
fingershooter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Stepper motor gauges usually run 2-3 times more than regular gauges.
Paul did not indicate a price change for this, however I will check with him to make sure.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
fingershooter
2nd Gear
So JIMINNI was certainly correct in his statement. I just received word back from Marshall that the new stepper motor gauges will be in the $120 - $150 range (not finalized yet). Paul did indicate that they will still have a supply of the current SCX line (which I currently have) so you will be able to choose. I suspect however this will not last indefinitely.

According to Paul (Marshall), these new stepper gauges will have peak recall and hi/low alarms.

Sorry for the confusion, I am merely the messenger.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:55 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Electrical gauges aren't inherently more precise or more accurate, and they have a drawback that they typically only provide 90 degrees of sweep, unless you go with the more-expensive full-sweep electrical gauges.
All the SCX gauges are 270 degree sweep. The electric boost gauges tend to be more accurate, at least until the oil in the intake air or the heat cycles cause problems with the MAP sensor. Not all sensors run into trouble, but it does happen, I believe Alta had a number of bad sensors with their R56 boost gauges when they were first released, not sure about now.

If Paul can do the boost gauges in electric, I'd much prefer that.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How would we go about ordering these gauges?

Are they listed on the website?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:37 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by Bigshot

They should be, but the new ones are still not out yet.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:42 AM
fingershooter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigshot

I am still working with them on logistics, however as I stated earlier in this thread, I simply don't have time to spearhead a group buy. So I am still looking for a volunteer to step up and take this responsibility.

The new faces for the gauges are still not complete so until that occurs it is a waiting game. If however you simply cannot wait you can order directly from Marshall the current SCX Silver gauges, which are pictured in this thread. They are in my opinion the closest match to the factory gauges right out of the box.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Matching factory gauges