Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Matching factory gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed with a Bracket "W" with dual pod cups, in a horizontal fashion above the tach.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:42 PM
LetsMotorR53
2nd Gear
Definately considering these gauges. Yours look great! I was curious though, the ones that I am seeing on the website do not read "boost" or "oil" on the actuall gauge face like yours, not sure why thats different. I was thinking about using the same two gauges that you did. Was the install difficult? Was installing the mechanical boost gauge tricky? Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 PM
LetsMotorR53
2nd Gear
Definately considering these gauges. Yours look great! I was curious though, the ones that I am seeing on the website do not read "boost" or "oil" on the actuall gauge face like yours, not sure why thats different. I was thinking about using the same two gauges that you did. Was the install difficult? Was installing the mechanical boost gauge tricky? Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 PM
LetsMotorR53
2nd Gear
What exact bracket/cup combination from cravenspeed are you using? looks like theres many to choose from, I want to be sure Im getting the right ones for my R53. Could you post those links?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LetsMotorR53
Definately considering these gauges.the ones that I am seeing on the website do not read "boost" or "oil" on the actuall gauge face like yours,
I love mine Where are you seeing this? "on the actuall gauge face like yours,". Are you talking about ron-s mini's picture?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LetsMotorR53
I had the non Mini Gauges in my car for a few thousand miles then when SRTech and Marshalls gauges came out with the gauges that were designed to match our interior went ahead and purchased a set of Mini Gauges. Just like the Tach does not have anything huge after all its our car and we know that its a tach. Now with four gauges I have no issues with the markings and like the balanced look.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 AM
LetsMotorR53
2nd Gear
I was talking about fingershooter's pics. Some how I ended up on this page, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ry-gauges.html

Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Don't think any of them come labeled any more? Give SRTech a call 559-320-0004, as he is the exclusive dealer for the Marshall gauges.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 AM
anitan1
3rd Gear
You have to read through the thread. The pics you refer to are the first iteration of the gauges. The original author of this thread worked with Marshall to develop a set of gauge faces that look more like original equipment than other gauges. The words on the gauge face were eventually removed to keep with the "factory original" theme.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:37 PM
JuanPabloPWR
1st Gear
[SIZE=3]Hi guys, me name is Juan Pablo, I'm from Argentina, I'm thinking of buying these gauges, where I can get installation instructions?[/SIZE]

Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by JuanPabloPWR
[SIZE=3]Hi guys, me name is Juan Pablo, I'm from Argentina, I'm thinking of buying these gauges, where I can get installation instructions?[/SIZE]
Just talked to SRTech, he said he will get back to you Monday

Old 05-30-2010, 08:20 AM
JuanPabloPWR
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Just talked to SRTech, he said he will get back to you Monday
Thanks men

Old 05-31-2010, 09:05 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JuanPabloPWR
Installation depends on what gauges, what type of gauges, what MINI and how you want the lighting to work. There is a lot of info in this thread which will give you an idea of what you might want to do.

Steve

Old 06-06-2010, 12:22 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Removal socket & wrenches

Originally Posted by Clubmaste00
Steve

A couple of things about the install that I'll mention just for future ref. My OEM sender was installed so that the release catch for the wire connection was underneath the body - took a mirror and a dental pick to release it. I do not believe anyone has mentioned that a 7/8 deep well socket is needed to remove the OEM sender (at least that is what I needed) and that the body of the tapless connector takes a 1' wrench. If you are doing this yourself it would not hurt to have an extra O ring on hand for the tapless connector - where it installs into the head - the O ring is a number 114 - Since I was having problems getting the ports in the tapless connector to quit leaking I had the fitting on and off a few times and it not hard to pinch the O ring if you do not make sure it is seated in the groove on the end of the connector.
I have an R-56 MCa, 2009 early in the year manufacture. I used, fits exactly, a 22mm deep reach socket for removal of the OEM oil sensor. The Gen2 Cravenspeed "Tapless Adapter", that I was sent by them, fits a 1-1/16" exactly. Thought this might be of use since there could be different sizes floating about.

Here is an attempt to show what I have done to date, check out my "Gallery" since I cannot figure out how to get photos into the Thread. Not complete, needs final fitting polishing and paint. The next step, which is in progress, is the wiring. More photos to come later.

Stephen

Last edited by SMOG; 06-08-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:17 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did alot of research about four years ago on getting factory-match gauges. The only company that sold them at the time was Greddy. I bought the air/fuel and turbo (i.e. boost) warning gauges. They are almost a spot-on match. They were initially in my old '02 MCS. I finally got around to installing them in my '06 MCS about two months ago.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:35 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
They look good!

The Greddy gauges look good and have the correct night color

S.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:09 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
They are almost a spot-on match.
? They look ok and all.....but they don't really look anything like the OEM's.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:04 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
This is a gauge project on which I am presently working. Maybe finished tomorrow.
S.

http://www.mini4fun.info/09_MCa_Gaug...6_Photos..html

Old 06-14-2010, 12:18 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
JIMINNI, that's what I had to work with four years ago. The current offer at the beginning of this thread would have made me reconsider my options back then. I spent countless hours searching and researching to find the GReddy warning gauges with a silver face and amber lighting. There are subtle differences with them. The one that stands out the most is there is a small amount of white light that emanates from behind the needle base. Yes, the needle sweeps are at a different angle. And the number indicators are at a different alignment. But there is no need to go out and buy more gauges when I already have some that are very satisfactory to me.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:48 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
JIMINNI, that's what I had to work with four years ago. The current offer at the beginning of this thread would have made me reconsider my options back then. I spent countless hours searching and researching to find the GReddy warning gauges with a silver face and amber lighting. There are subtle differences with them. The one that stands out the most is there is a small amount of white light that emanates from behind the needle base. Yes, the needle sweeps are at a different angle. And the number indicators are at a different alignment. But there is no need to go out and buy more gauges when I already have some that are very satisfactory to me.
No they look good I wouldn't go out and change them either. I am now looking for a AFR gauge and obviuosly nothing is going to look OEM

Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Yes, it's tough finding a good-looking AFR gauge. Only downside is it's a narrow band. Maybe one day, I will buy the central computer unit and connect them for some datalogging.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:06 PM
AA-MCS
Neutral
Hi Guys,
I’ve had mine installed since November and am still happy with them. Funny thing happened June 21st (first day of summer) my temperature gauge went from reading ~220°f to about ~200°f. Today happens to be my one year anniversary with my MINI and had the scheduled maintenance done. I specifically asked them to check to see if the engine was running abnormally cool and the answer was that it was operating within acceptable range. My questions are:

Has anyone experienced such a drop in temperature?
Is the computer programmed to run the car cooler in summer months?
Could the gauge itself be the problem?
Is 200°f too cold?

Thanks in advance,

Old 06-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Originally Posted by AA-MCS
Hi Guys,
I’ve had mine installed since November and am still happy with them. Funny thing happened June 21st (first day of summer) my temperature gauge went from reading ~220°f to about ~200°f. Today happens to be my one year anniversary with my MINI and had the scheduled maintenance done. I specifically asked them to check to see if the engine was running abnormally cool and the answer was that it was operating within acceptable range. My questions are:

Has anyone experienced such a drop in temperature?
Is the computer programmed to run the car cooler in summer months?
Could the gauge itself be the problem?
Is 200°f too cold?

Thanks in advance,
A couple of additional data points may help the NAM trouble-shooters:

-- R53 or R56? (looks like the former from your avatar but too small to be sure)
-- Where in the cooling system is your sender installed relative to the radiator/thermostat?

Old 06-24-2010, 01:42 PM
AA-MCS
Neutral
Gil,
It's an R56. I'm not sure where in the system it's installed as I didn't do the installation. It's on with a coupling sleeve I think going into the radiator. My problem is that it happened suddenly. FYI, it's stepper gauge.
Thanks,

Old 06-24-2010, 01:49 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
AA:

Mine has been running about 202 on the freeway with occasional swings (steady climb but not instant)to 225. In town I run 190 when the engine is warm. As you can see in my web link the sending unit is in the radiator hose coupling and NOT the surge tank.

S.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Matching factory gauges