Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Matching factory gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:48 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SRTech
I am working with Marshall on a group buy. I am also a CravenSpeed dealer so I may be able to offer a better price on their gauge cups and mounts depending on response. I should be able to do 20% off MSRP on the gauges if I have 10 people buy 2 gauges each. If I get more people, I may be able to do even better. The price on the stepper motor gauges is not set yet, but they should be available when the MINI SCX are ready. PM me if you are interested.

Steve
How about if I just come down there and talk to you Put me in for 2 stepper motor gauges

Old 06-24-2009, 07:59 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
How about if I just come down there and talk to you Put me in for 2 stepper motor gauges
I don't know, have you talked this over with your financial flow restrictor (FFR)? You have another big mod expense coming up so you better get this one pre-approved. Maybe you can get a set for her new 2009 MINI so she will feel better about it.

Steve

Old 06-24-2009, 11:42 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see most of the people on this thread are r53 owners, will these gauges match up with the R56?? If so, count me in for 2 gauges as well!

Old 06-24-2009, 01:19 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I am working with Marshall on a group buy. I am also a CravenSpeed dealer so I may be able to offer a better price on their gauge cups and mounts depending on response. I should be able to do 20% off MSRP on the gauges if I have 10 people buy 2 gauges each. If I get more people, I may be able to do even better. The price on the stepper motor gauges is not set yet, but they should be available when the MINI SCX are ready. PM me if you are interested.

Steve
PM sent!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:34 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by J_'09s
I see most of the people on this thread are r53 owners, will these gauges match up with the R56?? If so, count me in for 2 gauges as well!
There is a guy in our club that just installed a set of original Marshall gauges in his R56, they look great! I was already to buy some, then these new gauges came up and are supposed to match even better So i'm thinking, yes.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:57 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Those are some beautiful gauges, and I'm considering a set of the stepper motor gauges for my MCS.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
I don't know, have you talked this over with your financial flow restrictor (FFR)? You have another big mod expense coming up so you better get this one pre-approved. Maybe you can get a set for her new 2009 MINI so she will feel better about it.

Steve
Hey Steve, count me in on an Oil pressure and an Oil Temp gauge...need both as soon as available.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Steve,
I'm curious to see what a 60mm boost gauge and oil pressure gauge would cost, along with a cup set from CravenSpeed.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Vernon29RW
Hey Steve,
I'm curious to see what a 60mm boost gauge and oil pressure gauge would cost, along with a cup set from CravenSpeed.

Thanks,
Steve
Marshall sells the SCX series in 52mm and the Comp II series in 66mm sizes. The new MINI faces will only be in 52mm. The Comp II series gauges are a lot cheaper (not sure why, but will find out). The CravenSpeed gauge cups are $54.95, but I may be able to do better if I get a lot of requests with this group buy. Thanks.

Steve

Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
There is a guy in our club that just installed a set of original Marshall gauges in his R56, they look great! I was already to buy some, then these new gauges came up and are supposed to match even better So i'm thinking, yes.
TY!!

Has anyone committed themselves as the head honcho for this operation?? Just wondering who i need to put my request in with

Old 06-25-2009, 11:10 AM
paulgraz
4th Gear
As the owner of a high-mileage, nav-equipped car - I'm watching this thread to see if a water temp gauge becomes available. If you got the factory nav, you got no water temp gauge... A volt meter might be nice too

Old 06-25-2009, 02:39 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by J_'09s
TY!!

Has anyone committed themselves as the head honcho for this operation?? Just wondering who i need to put my request in with
PM me with your requests. Look back a few posts for more info. Thanks.

Steve

Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by paulgraz
As the owner of a high-mileage, nav-equipped car - I'm watching this thread to see if a water temp gauge becomes available. If you got the factory nav, you got no water temp gauge... A volt meter might be nice too
If there is enough interest, I have already requested a voltmeter from Marshall. The water temp gauge is already in the queue. We will initially have water temp, oil pressure and vacuum/boost with the MINI custom faces.

Steve

Old 06-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PM sent as requested

Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
I'd go for a voltmeter too if that pans out...

Old 06-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Unit One
1st Gear
These SCX Gauges are Wicked cool !

I've just finished going to a 16% pulley which followed an Alta Stealth Catback which followed an Alta CAI... next up... I am really wanting to get a boost gauge mounted... soooo... any word or should I say have any pix of the new more-MINI-like gauges surfaced ? ... and has anyone worked out the install details for the Mech Vac/Boost gauge... both the under the hood piece as well as the specifics for mounting it next to the Tach... i.e. cup... mount etc. am fairly new to this whole arena so would very much appreciate any and all details... thanx

Old 06-27-2009, 08:18 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Unit One
I've just finished going to a 16% pulley which followed an Alta Stealth Catback which followed an Alta CAI... next up... I am really wanting to get a boost gauge mounted... soooo... any word or should I say have any pix of the new more-MINI-like gauges surfaced ? ... and has anyone worked out the install details for the Mech Vac/Boost gauge... both the under the hood piece as well as the specifics for mounting it next to the Tach... i.e. cup... mount etc. am fairly new to this whole arena so would very much appreciate any and all details... thanx
Paul at Marshall says they are still waiting for the new faces to arrive from the supplier so there are no pictures yet. They are expecting to be able to ship in 2-3 weeks if the faces arrive soon.

People usually put a "T" on the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator and run the tube into the cabin next to where the main wiring harness. CravenSpeed makes some great gauge mounting accessories, but there are other manufacturers as well. I believe there must be a "how-to" somewhere here on NAM.

Steve

Old 06-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Thomas S
2nd Gear
Marshall Gauges

Originally Posted by closer88
1 boost and 1 temp here, too. Anybody know how much installation costs would be and if any MINI dealer is willing to do it?
You gotta be kidding! That is strictly a DIY or aftermarket shade tree effort. Do you really think that a MINI dealer will help you void your warranty?

C'mon, don't be shy. Buy some tools (you'll need a set of Torx drivers, for sure) and get your hands dirty. It isn't that hard to add aftermarket gauges, but I'd guess you'll probably shed a little blood doing it - especially if you're a newbie whose worst occupational injury to date has been a paper cut.

That little hot rod won't really be yours until it makes you bleed!

I'm awaiting the Marshall gauges too, like others here. I spoke with Paul at Marshall Instruments and he said the holdup is the company that's making the gauge faces for them. Looks like they're a couple to three weeks out. It'll be worth the wait.

Frankly I think MINI f***ed up by not at least offering boost, temperature, oil pressure, etc as options - although I believe they really should be standard equipment. Intake charge temperature would be interesting too. I like to monitor systems in real time - not just have an idiot light come on to tell me after the fact why I'm suddenly sitting dead in the water in the middle of the 405.

And has anyone here tried to obtain factory shop manuals and wiring diagrams for their MINI? I have - and they won't sell them to me! I find that extremely aggravating. I've worked on every part of my cars since I was a teenager, but since I'm not a certified MINI "technician" (we used to call them grease monkeys) I'm apparently not permitted to work on my own car! It's like my car is a Sacrament in the Church of MINI, and only ordained priests are permitted to perform services. What a load of crap!

Anyway, enough of the soapbox. I really love this car. It's the most fun ride I've owned in 35+ years. It's not as quick as my 1963½ Ford Galaxie, but it gets a lot better gas mileage (~5X), starts and runs smoothly, has lots more creature comforts, and will still turn ~14 second ¼ mile ETs.

Tom S

2009 Mellow Yellow JCW - still stock, so far. That will have to change, eventually.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Wow, BMW are ****'s!!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:49 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
I wouldn't say that - but some dealers are worried about liability and/or MINIUSA breathing down their neck in case something happens down the road. Some dealers would do this type of install for you, if you have a good repore with them. But they are going make it clear that you are just paying them for their time, they can't warranty any part that didn't come from MINIUSA.

Either way, there are plenty of independent tuner shops that would probably do this type of install for you...

Old 07-01-2009, 03:24 AM
mr. jim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Thomas S
You gotta be kidding! That is strictly a DIY or aftermarket shade tree effort. Do you really think that a MINI dealer will help you void your warranty?

C'mon, don't be shy. Buy some tools (you'll need a set of Torx drivers, for sure) and get your hands dirty. It isn't that hard to add aftermarket gauges, but I'd guess you'll probably shed a little blood doing it - especially if you're a newbie whose worst occupational injury to date has been a paper cut.

That little hot rod won't really be yours until it makes you bleed!

I'm awaiting the Marshall gauges too, like others here. I spoke with Paul at Marshall Instruments and he said the holdup is the company that's making the gauge faces for them. Looks like they're a couple to three weeks out. It'll be worth the wait.

Frankly I think MINI f***ed up by not at least offering boost, temperature, oil pressure, etc as options - although I believe they really should be standard equipment. Intake charge temperature would be interesting too. I like to monitor systems in real time - not just have an idiot light come on to tell me after the fact why I'm suddenly sitting dead in the water in the middle of the 405.

And has anyone here tried to obtain factory shop manuals and wiring diagrams for their MINI? I have - and they won't sell them to me! I find that extremely aggravating. I've worked on every part of my cars since I was a teenager, but since I'm not a certified MINI "technician" (we used to call them grease monkeys) I'm apparently not permitted to work on my own car! It's like my car is a Sacrament in the Church of MINI, and only ordained priests are permitted to perform services. What a load of crap!

Anyway, enough of the soapbox. I really love this car. It's the most fun ride I've owned in 35+ years. It's not as quick as my 1963½ Ford Galaxie, but it gets a lot better gas mileage (~5X), starts and runs smoothly, has lots more creature comforts, and will still turn ~14 second ¼ mile ETs.

Tom S

2009 Mellow Yellow JCW - still stock, so far. That will have to change, eventually.

And here is the problem with NAM, you start cutting down the guy cause he may not be so mechanically inclined as you. Try making your FIRST post more positive or keep your "I'm the man" attitude to yourself.

As fot the memeber who asked the question come on over to motoringunderground.com where we check the attitude at the door.

Cheers
Mr. Jim

Old 07-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Mr. Jim,
Although you are absolutely right about the current trend going on here on these boards (its much better on other sites), I dont think that guy Thomas was trying to be as much of a jerk as you interpreted. Yes he obviously could have used a better choice of words but ultimately I think his intention was to encourage closer88 to try to do some of his own mods on his car and get to know his car a little better. I'm all for this as I do all of my own mods on all my cars and really enjoy the satisfaction that I get after completing a mod on my cars. I am mechanically inclined but we all have to start somewhere and gauges aren't a bad starting point because they are not that hard to install, especially a boost gauge!!

However, Thomas S was WAAAAY late on his comment....jeez! here's closer88's post:

05-10-2009, 07:56 PM
closer88 vbmenu_register("postmenu_2762037", true);
1st Gear

Gallery
1 boost and 1 temp here, too. Anybody know how much installation costs would be and if any MINI dealer is willing to do it?

To Thomas S: Post #20!!!! c'mon man that's almost 7 weeks later!!! If you missed a post that late, keep it to yourself bro you missed the boat on that one

Just trying to contribute positively here, hoping things may return back to the way it was before "vendor wars".

Just my $.02...
Steve

Old 07-01-2009, 05:08 PM
jay80424
3rd Gear
I have to agree with Vernon29RW, and it didn't seem like Thomas was trying to be a ****.

Although I do think it's a good ideal to encourage owners to work on and get to know their cars, we don't always know if someone is mechanically inclined or not, and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

The other point that is not always taken into consideration is economics.

I'm extremely mechanically inclined. I've built 10 second big block Chevy's, been working on cars on and off for 20 years, and if it can be taken apart, I can probably find a way to fix it.

That being said, I haven't changed the oil in one of my cars/trucks in 10 years, because the $60 it costs for someone else to do it isn't worth my time to do it myself.

If closer88 wants to have someone else do it for him, and pay the price, dealer or not, more power to him for helping turn the gears of our economy. If he want's to try and do it himself, that's great too.

Ok, rant off.

Back to the OP, I'd be in for a boost, and one other, oil press or temp, not sure yet.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:12 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Did anyone else notice that that was Thomas' first post? So maybe we shouldn't jump all over the newbie either...

Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
mr. jim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mr. jim
And here is the problem with NAM, you start cutting down the guy cause he may not be so mechanically inclined as you. Try making your FIRST post more positive or keep your "I'm the man" attitude to yourself.

As fot the memeber who asked the question come on over to motoringunderground.com where we check the attitude at the door.

Cheers
Mr. Jim

Hi Paul,
That's why I commented on it, not a great way to introduce yourself. And i agree, if you missed the post by that long then forgetaboutit . We're here to help each other and have a good time in doing so, remember we were not born with wrenches in our hands.

Cheers
Mr. Jim

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Matching factory gauges