Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Matching factory gauges

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:26 PM
X5JR
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am interested as well. I had the MINI gauges added recently, Boost & G-lateral (this is a waste of money). I will change to water temp.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by X5JR
I am interested as well. I had the MINI gauges added recently, Boost & G-lateral (this is a waste of money). I will change to water temp.
Are you changing both to the MINI faced gauges and, if so, mechanical or electric for the vac/boost gauge. Thanks.

Steve

Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
PM sent with interest for:
1 Mech Vac/Boost Gauge (with chrome ring)
1 Elec Oil pressure gauge (with chrome ring)
with all neccessary fittings including craven speed pods & steering columm mount.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I apologize if this was already asked, but whats better to get, the oil pressure or the water temp? I think i remember hearing that the oil temp wasn't ready at this time?

Old 07-06-2009, 07:02 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by J_'09s
I apologize if this was already asked, but whats better to get, the oil pressure or the water temp? I think i remember hearing that the oil temp wasn't ready at this time?
water temp !
you're far more likely to run into an issue w/ overheating, esp on the R56 Mini's (not even an idiot light until the motors toast). A water temp gauge will be of use every time you start driving, stay out of the boost/hot ******* until the engine's warmed up.
Unless something's horribly wrong, you won't learn much from an oil pressure gauge on a modern engine.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:54 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by n1tr0
water temp !
you're far more likely to run into an issue w/ overheating, esp on the R56 Mini's (not even an idiot light until the motors toast). A water temp gauge will be of use every time you start driving, stay out of the boost/hot ******* until the engine's warmed up.
Unless something's horribly wrong, you won't learn much from an oil pressure gauge on a modern engine.
+1

Old 07-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Thomas S
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SRTech
Only six people have said anything about the CravenSpeed mounts and adapters. I have 22 people who have expressed interest in the group buy for the gauges.
Steve
OK, I have this to offer re the Craven mounts and adapters:

I like the Craven gauge cups a lot better than the ones from Alta (sorry folks). They offer them in different sizes, rather than just one size that takes a donut adapter to accommodate the smaller, more standard 52 mm gauges.

OTOH, although I like the way the Craven stuff is made, they don't offer a mounting adapter that puts the gauges in quite the right spot - at least not for my R56. I have the 360 Garmin hanging off the left side of the tach, so there really isn't any room for gauges there anymore. Craven's adapter "R" allows for gauges on only one side or the other, but it mounts them almost 3 inches too high. I don't want gauges sticking up over the dashboard, so I made my own adapter for mounting one of Craven's double gauge cups, tucked down between the RH A/C vent and the tach. Both gauges are visible inside the rim of the steering wheel.

That said, however, I still need a couple of the as-yet-unreleased Marshall gauges (boost and water temperature) before I can close out this project and do something different. I've been thinking that it might be useful to opt for electronic gauges for at least water temperature, because then I could add a switch box and some extra sensors and monitor temps in several places, such as intercooler input and outlet sides - but maybe that's carrying things a little too far.

Is it possible to carry things too far?

Tom S

P.S. - And yes, I'm interested in the group buy for the Marshall gauges! Where do I sign up?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:58 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
water temp !
Well, I like oil pressure. If you loose oil pressure due to a leak or just low oil from consumption you can see the decrease in pressure long before the lack of oil causes the engine to overheat, causing the water temp to spike. Ideally it would be nice to have both.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:43 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Thomas S
OK, I have this to offer re the Craven mounts and adapters:

I like the Craven gauge cups a lot better than the ones from Alta (sorry folks). They offer them in different sizes, rather than just one size that takes a donut adapter to accommodate the smaller, more standard 52 mm gauges.

OTOH, although I like the way the Craven stuff is made, they don't offer a mounting adapter that puts the gauges in quite the right spot - at least not for my R56. I have the 360 Garmin hanging off the left side of the tach, so there really isn't any room for gauges there anymore. Craven's adapter "R" allows for gauges on only one side or the other, but it mounts them almost 3 inches too high. I don't want gauges sticking up over the dashboard, so I made my own adapter for mounting one of Craven's double gauge cups, tucked down between the RH A/C vent and the tach. Both gauges are visible inside the rim of the steering wheel.

That said, however, I still need a couple of the as-yet-unreleased Marshall gauges (boost and water temperature) before I can close out this project and do something different. I've been thinking that it might be useful to opt for electronic gauges for at least water temperature, because then I could add a switch box and some extra sensors and monitor temps in several places, such as intercooler input and outlet sides - but maybe that's carrying things a little too far.

Is it possible to carry things too far?

Tom S

P.S. - And yes, I'm interested in the group buy for the Marshall gauges! Where do I sign up?
Have you checked out their "A" adapter?

http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=209

Steve

Old 07-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Thomas S
2nd Gear
Have you checked out their "A" adapter?

http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=209

Steve
Yes I have, Steve - but that has mounts on both sides for gauges, and the position still isn't quite right.

Tom S

Old 07-07-2009, 07:26 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
Well, I like oil pressure. If you loose oil pressure due to a leak or just low oil from consumption you can see the decrease in pressure long before the lack of oil causes the engine to overheat, causing the water temp to spike. Ideally it would be nice to have both.
You won't see a drop in oil pressure from a leak, nor will it cause the engine to overheat. Most engines use an oil pressure switch (takes ~4psi or so) in the block right after the oil pump and not up in the head where you're more likely to see oil starvation. A drop in oil pressure in your normal driving can be a sign of worn bearings or a worn oil pump, but you it's very very rare to see that on a modern, relatively low mileage engine. I see more oil sender/switch failures than anything.

You'd be better with an oil temp gauge and regularly checking your dipstick.

I tear down 4-5 engines a week on average and almost all the catastrophic failures are the result of overheating (&/or neglect). I've never replaced an oil pump due to wear or seen an oil pressure problem on a car that received any sort of regular maintenance.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:51 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Maybe once you get the designs down a group buy might be in order. That would help them recoup the initial costs of creating the new faces.
They make both a chrome and black ring option that gives several options. I went with the black ring and if you look in my gallery you will see the gauges after the install by Custom Mini Shop in Fresno.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by discodan
electric or mechanical? (which is better for a daily driver BTW?)what is color of the ring around gauge if not chrome?
temp and boost here as well if GB happens
In my opinion for the daily driver the electric gauge is perfect one great option is that all lines can stay in the engine compartment. No oil/vac lines that could be damaged leak etc into the interior of the car. As for ring color the original had a mat silver ring with a chrome or gloss black ring option. I had the black ring installed on mine to match the piano black dash if you look at my gallery you will see pictures of the gauges most are on the second page.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:15 PM
J_'09s
5th Gear
water temp !
thanks!! Thats makes perfect sense and also will make me more aware in the future of pushing a cold engine... looking forward to having more information about the car with the additions of these gauges. Speaking of which...where do i send my money?!? Sorry, i just gettin a little pushy

Old 07-08-2009, 03:34 PM
M3NTAL
4th Gear
What does the boost gauge read up to in PSi ?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Thomas S
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by M3NTAL
What does the boost gauge read up to in PSi ?
30 psi

Old 07-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by J_'09s
thanks!! Thats makes perfect sense and also will make me more aware in the future of pushing a cold engine... looking forward to having more information about the car with the additions of these gauges. Speaking of which...where do i send my money?!? Sorry, i just gettin a little pushy
SrTech is doing the group buy his posting is a few up on the list. He did my install on the original Marshall Gauges and you will not be disappointed in the gauges they look awesome and can only get better now that they are going to match them to the Mini Cooper.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Paul at Marshall says they are still waiting for the face manufacturer. He also said the price on the MINI specific gauges will be slightly higher than the regular SCX gauges, but the prices are not yet set. It's still a no-go on the MINI specific oil temp and voltmeter, but I believe that I will have enough leverage after this group buy to at least get their attention. If everyone who has expressed an interest goes through with the buy, I will have 60 gauges to order. That got their attention.

Steve

Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 AM
newbs49
Banned
Can they make gauges that match the GP faces? I know there's GP owners that would like matching faces.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Thomas S
2nd Gear
Paul at Marshall says they are still waiting for the face manufacturer. He also said the price on the MINI specific gauges will be slightly higher than the regular SCX gauges, but the prices are not yet set. It's still a no-go on the MINI specific oil temp and voltmeter, but I believe that I will have enough leverage after this group buy to at least get their attention. If everyone who has expressed an interest goes through with the buy, I will have 60 gauges to order. That got their attention.

Steve
Steve -

Please put me on the list for boost and water temperature. Thanks!

Tom S

Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
duplicate post

Last edited by J_'09s; 07-09-2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
SrTech is doing the group buy his posting is a few up on the list. He did my install on the original Marshall Gauges and you will not be disappointed in the gauges they look awesome and can only get better now that they are going to match them to the Mini Cooper.
Thanks Tron Chief, i've sent my pm's. Just a matter of time now...

Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Thomas S
Steve -

Please put me on the list for boost and water temperature. Thanks!

Tom S
You're on, thanks!

Steve

Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Hey SRTech, what's the status on the stepper motors? Just wondering bc i just compared them on youtube and i would much rather have with the stepper than without. Any word if we are going to be able to get them with? Thanks!!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:49 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
with stepper motor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YG5WIhK29Q

without stepper motor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQajDHiQmug

NOTE: Just so everyone knows, these are not the gauges that we are getting, all these videos demonstrate is the difference between with stepper motors and without. Just wanted to be clear to avoid confusion.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Matching factory gauges