Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Factory Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't remember having to remove the center console to put on the factory armrest. But I do remember that it took me like 2 or 3 weeks to get used to having the armrest there.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:06 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That eBay auction was the cheapest I found it too. I ALMOST bought that last week before going down the US factory version retrofit road. From your picture interior picture jrcsh6, now I am really glad I went for the one I did. I just don't like the look of that one! :-)

Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MINI 'Euro' Armrest

Originally Posted by jrcsh6
this is the one i have. the only problem is that it sags...not a level armrest (not mine at least) so i used a bunch of felt in the jam to level it.
I had installed this armrest a little over a year ago and it was the best choice for me.

I had also noticed the distinct 'down slope' and assumed it was to accomodate Manual Shifting for extra tall people.

Photo below shows my initial modification; using a taped wine 'cork' (the hard rubber version):

Click HERE to open a large, expandable copy of above photo in a new tab/window.

The tape was temporary (to establish the angle most comfortable for me) and I then used contact cement to attach that shim to rear of armrest,
where it can't be seen and it has remained for nearly a year now.

Bottom line is that although it is easy to raise the angle to suit your comfort, it would be impossible to lower it,
the framework is very strong steel construction from below the the seat rails and you could stand on it and not lower it at all.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:29 PM
mini cooper mini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i meant to ask you what that thing was, but forgot. Cool idea

Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
I just got the additional parts from Morristown Mini, the new bracket is much sturdier than the one in my car!! And from the initial looks of it, the original non-armrest cupholder won't bolt in to the heavy duty bracket. I tore apart the console in my car last night. Everything came apart nice except the trim ring around the brake handle, I broke one of the tabs of it off. For the life of me I couldn't get enough pressure pressed on the tab to release it. Oh well, I think it will be fine with just the one tab, I can put a drop of super glue to help hold it. Tonight or tomorrow I hopefully will find the time to install all of this!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:19 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
I just got the additional parts from Morristown Mini, the new bracket is much sturdier than the one in my car!! And from the initial looks of it, the original non-armrest cupholder won't bolt in to the heavy duty bracket. <...>
When you're done, you should still have a rear cupholder within the US style OEM Armrest that you are installing.

More importantly; you will have $30 or so of left-over parts (including that original cupholder) that you could place on NAM's Marketplace for those who might want to remove or replace their slide-top armrest setup.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
When you're done, you should still have a rear cupholder within the US style OEM Armrest that you are installing.
Yep sure will, I ordered the appropriate replacement cupholder. The armrest cup holder has a smaller diameter (than the non-armrest cupholder) so it wont hold the monster-jumbo drinks anymore! LOL

Old 07-24-2009, 03:37 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Ugh...Morristown sent me two right hand covers (even though one of the labels was marked with the correct left-hand part). UGH UGH...

Second, where the HECK does that styrofoam padding go!? I can't figure that out for the life of me...Does it go below the plastic braket, above the bracket below the arm rest, does it go near the armrest or up by the parking brake?

I finally figured it out, it went over the airbag computer! Strange how the original bracket does need that padding...very strange!

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 07-24-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Figured out my answer
Old 07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Done (well almost)

Okay, so the factory armrest conversion is complete (except for the left-hand cover trim)!

Took about 30 minutes to take the center console out, and the bracket. I highly recommend nylon "installer" pry bars to pry the trim rings around the shifter boot and the parking brake boots. Took about 40 minutes to put it all back together.

So be careful when you pull the parking brake trim off (see attached picture) as I broke one of the tabs. Seems to hold okay without it.

I needed to move four plastic tabs that the major console piece slides into from the original bracket to the new one. Then I needed to move the red piece that the screw from the cup holder screws into the new bracket. Then I added the "padding" foam piece to above the airbag computer since the new bracket is much longer. Reinstalled the new bracket making sure I didn't pinch any wires and attached the parking brake sensor wire into the little hole. Then I tightened the four nuts that hold the brackets down. So it was time to attach the five armrest bracket screws. Then reinstall the big console piece, making sure to get the four slide tabs set right when you push it forward to lock it in. Then I added the new cupholder with the hinge "hider" and the one ride-side trim piece. Pretty simple really.

And so far I like it! I haven't driven it yet, but I think I will enjoy having it.
I have more pics but I could only upload three.

Attached Thumbnails Factory Armrest-dsc00001.jpg   Factory Armrest-dsc00004.jpg   Factory Armrest-dsc00010.jpg  
Old 07-24-2009, 05:08 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
More Pics

Here are a few more.

Attached Thumbnails Factory Armrest-dsc00013.jpg   Factory Armrest-dsc00012.jpg   Factory Armrest-dsc00011.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 08:14 AM
kbleicher
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apologies if I'm blind and just missing this...

I went from the OEM armrest to the Euro style. Taking off the old armrest and putting the new one in was easy enough, but as you've noted I need a handful of parts to clean things up (new rear cupholder, etc. to cover the carpet holes and exposed brackets).

Did anyone come up with the definitive list of parts for removing the OEM armrest? The thread seemed a bit unsure here and there.

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Yes! Okay, so you will need to recycle the fasteners from your existing parts if you have them still. As I just took mine apart this is fresh in my mind.

Here is what you will need to convert to a non-OEM armrest. Refer to the RealOEM site linked earlier to see these pieces.

51162752947 Bracket that mounts underneath the console (Part 2)

51162756167 Cupholder (Part 14)

51162756171 Cupholder Trim Ring (NON CHROMELINE, Matte Grey plastic Part 15)
OR 51162756172 Cupholder Trim Ring (CHROME LINE Part 15)

Those three parts are what you need to order if you have all of your fasteners still.

IMPORTANT! Please note you will need to move the four plastic clips from your big bracket to the smaller bracket part 2. They are Part 8 07131481910. You also need to move part 22 07130657024 from the bracket old bracket to bracket part 2.

Also, you can remove the Styrofoam padding part 19 above the airbag computer.

You will need to reuse part 9 51418247775 the screw in the center of the cupholder into the new cupholder. Also the four bolts part 5 07129903094 that attach the bracket to the car will need to be reused.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:30 AM
kbleicher
4th Gear
Thanks for the info. Wow; way more work than I thought it would be. I was hoping I could just add the cupholder and cupholder trim ring (14 and 15) and be done with it.

I really need to replace the bracked underneath as well (2)? Is that because I won't have a screw mount for the new cupholder?

Thanks again; you're a big help!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Yep, you will need to replace the bracket. I looked very closely at it while I had both sets of parts out of the car. Not only does the screw hole not line up, the brackets are very different size and shape at the cupholder. The non-armrest cupholder does not come close to fitting over the armrest bracket. The amount of work to modify the bracket would be more than just replacing the bracket. The bracket is fairly cheap.

Just be very careful and USE NYLON pry tools when pulling the shifter and brake boot trim rings off. Two screws under the front cupholders, the brake handle gray plastic piece VERY FRAGILE, the two boots, and slide the console to remove from the four retainers, unplug the lighter, shifter lights (if automatic), and sport button harness. Then four bolts to remove the bracket.

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 08-13-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: The link to get the console off is not in this thread, I will find the link later
Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 AM
kbleicher
4th Gear
Yikes.. If I had known it was going to take all of that just because of misplaced screw hole I may not have switched arm rests

Thanks for the info..

Old 08-13-2009, 11:13 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
I know! I am not quite sure why they did not just make the "armrest" bracket standard and just make the non-armrest cupholder fit that bracket! It only took me about 45 minutes to add the armrest, so swapping to the smaller bracket would be a bit less time. For anyone interested, a set of nylon installer pry tools are at Harbor Freight for about $4.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:54 AM
kbleicher
4th Gear
I ordered the vinyl tools and the following 3 parts from my local Mini dealer (near Chicago):

51162752947 Bracket that mounts underneath the console (Part 2)
51162756167 Cupholder (Part 14)
51162756172 Cupholder Trim Ring (CHROME LINE Part 15)

I'll let you know how it goes

Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Very cool! I need to find that link that describes removing the console in very good detail!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
I found a simple way to alleviate the sliding issue. I used a roll of double sided velcro (1/32" width), cut 2 - three inch strips and slid a strip on each side (left /right) between the top door (fig 3) and the bottom of the armrest (fig 1). (Think sandwich with velcro as the meat.) The velcro strip expands once inserted and creates sufficient friction to keep the armrest from sliding open easily. The action of opening or closing the armrest compresses the strips just enough to move in sync with the armrest. Also, the strip is thin enough to not be seen, making it a perfect fix for my OCD.

Last edited by Nimcosi; 10-13-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
So I am enjoying the armrest a lot! One thing I did notice, the "spongy-ness" of the hinge has been reduced with the cold weather here in MN. I did ask the dealer about the "saggy" armrest and he gave the expected "it is supposed to be like that." I have only bumped open the slider lid twice.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Just installed OEM armerest.
Selling delete kit:

See marketplace...

Old 05-23-2011, 07:52 AM
davidtobin
2nd Gear
Noticed from your pic that your euro armrest has much more padding than usually exists. When you had the yellow leather added I assume they did the armrest and added more padding(?). I recently took my padding out and replaced with an inch of memory foam.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:56 PM
ekh2000
1st Gear
OEM Armrest installation Question??

I am in the process of retrofitting my MCS 2008 with an OEM Armrest. I disassembled the Center Console to remove the original bracket and replace it with the new one.

My question is: the new Padding where the ABS module goes doen NOT fit well as the wire is a bit short. Also does it rest under the end of the new bracket so it stays in place? Somehow the styrofoam padding looks clumsy and poorly designed. Thanks!

[/QUOTE]Second, where the HECK does that styrofoam padding go!? I can't figure that out for the life of me...Does it go below the plastic braket, above the bracket below the arm rest, does it go near the armrest or up by the parking brake?

I finally figured it out, it went over the airbag computer! Strange how the original bracket does need that padding...very strange![/QUOTE]

Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
The black styrofoam sets right on top of the airbag computer just behind the shifter. It sits very snuggly. Just sets right on top of the aluminum box. Keep trying to get it.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:56 AM
davidtobin
2nd Gear
Fogs

Hope did you reprogram fogs on with HB
and no seat belt chime?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Factory Armrest