Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Itegrated Garage Openr w/Remote Power Oulet Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 07:29 PM
jmciver
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I have had my Mini for a week now and I have officially done my first mod. It is not that difficult but I thought I would post it anyway. I saw a few other similar installs on the net but none done this particular way.

I did the same install in my M3 so it only made sense to do it to the Mini. I did not want to clip the garage remote to the visor (bad eye sore) and I also did not want to plug my cell phone power adapter into the lighter socket for power since I have another mod planned for the lighter socket (but that is for another thread ). I used the Euro Parcel shelf as the location for this mod. Now off to the pictures.....

).

This shot is to illustrate how I routed the wires from the power outlet in the parcel shelf down to the cig lighter. I routed them behind the footwell vent. I had to remove the right side post and the lower dash piece (just in front of the cup holder) in order to do this. I also unscrewed the cup holder/center console so that I could get to the cig lighter harness.

This is a shot of the center console area with everything put back together. I am sure you notice the red and black wires. At first I was going to run the wires under the carpet. But this turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. The wires will be hidden soon anyway because I am getting the factory aux gauges installed soon, which will cover up that area of the car.

These last 2 shots show the final installation of the button and the power outlet. Now I have a place to conveniently store and charge my phone while driving. And of course I can open my garage door without having to look at the ugly garage remote.

Enjoy!!

Old 10-24-2003, 07:51 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey, some of that looks familiar!

Good job, thanks for sharing!

Old 10-25-2003, 05:14 PM
InfoSec
2nd Gear
Cool idea ... I might do just that to my MCS

Cheers

Old 10-25-2003, 06:47 PM
jmciver
2nd Gear
Thanks guys. Although I think I am going to change how I wired it to the car. I saw another similar write-up where the guy used an "Add-A-Circuit" tool. It basically allows you to wire in an accessory directly to the fuse box without splicing or getting creative as I did. It is very clean and neat and I found the part at my local Autozone for $6.

Old 10-25-2003, 10:06 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This may be too simple but i just double sided tape the remote clicker inside my door pocket alongthe side closest to the driver. You cant see it but you just reach down and click it and up or down goes the door. Totaly install time .5 beer :smile:

Old 10-26-2003, 08:58 AM
Pebbles
6th Gear
>>This may be too simple but i just double sided tape the remote clicker inside my door pocket alongthe side closest to the driver. You cant see it but you just reach down and click it and up or down goes the door. Totaly install time .5 beer :smile:

Max - I like your style. I am thinking of using velcro and sticking the remote control inside my Hot Pocket.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:45 PM
fries
2nd Gear
I wired my garage door remote to a momentary toggle switch I added to the bank of toggles in the empty spot. Looks pretty good - much better than hanging the remote somewhere. I'll be posting pix on bridger.us/mini soon.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:08 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can see mine here. I installed my remotes in the headliner for unobstructed view to the garage and best range!

See full details on my Personal MINI Obesssion Site