Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior My oil catch can is better than, most others

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:24 PM
JOHN800
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My oil catch can is better than, most others

I know, these kind of words can start a war. But what I wanted is someone to prove to me that this isn't one of the more advanced oil catch cans out there. First on the list is the quarter inch thick acrylic tube with the bonded 3/8" plate. I did this for visibility, and because it looks nice. The bottom of the catch can uses a 1/4 ball valve with a custom on/off valve. The custom **** had to be done to allow for easier access. The stainless steel wool allows for the condensation before it exits. Just as I was about to explain just how different this is, I realized that I cannot without divulging too much. The upper valve is under a patent investigation. Let's just say it allows for future options and better flow and separation. Sorry about the ambiguity. Mounting is with the slotted holes in front of the firewall. It is a prototype, and therefore the orings exist. I will simplify the upper mount if it comes to any thoughts of production.

Attached Thumbnails My oil catch can is better than, most others-oil-catch-can.jpg  

Last edited by JOHN800; 09-08-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
seems great!
i'm glad I have a front row seat!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:29 PM
JOHN800
1st Gear
I know it's a rather non sexy addition

Hmm, maybe I should add some carbon fiber or some stripes

Old 09-09-2009, 02:42 PM
M!N!-ME
3rd Gear
Looks great. Have you thought of a mounting place? Can't put it in the normal spot in the back left cubby because of drain valve yes?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:48 PM
JOHN800
1st Gear
Location, location, etc

There is a place in front of the firewall, in front of that plastic shroud. There are two bosses where I will try to mount that red plate to. I added slots to the plate to fine tune it's location. The drain valve is not a problem. I made my own handle which allows my hand to get down there and turn it. I haven't decided on adding a hose barb and some tubing to make a below the car dump. This project became something when I found some acrylic tube and some other ideas were rolling around. I will post pics soon of the completed job. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Won't the acrylic develop a brownish green hue over time?

Possibly a long term solution is to wrap it in something and provide a sight window to check levels.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:11 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Very cool How do you think the plastic is going to hold up in the heat? Is this going to be for sale?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:14 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Very cool How do you think the plastic is going to hold up in the heat? Is this going to be for sale?
Depends on the acrylic being used. hard to tell form the picture but it is machined cast it will fare far better then if it the extruded stuff. In fact the extruded stuff would probably deform in an engine bay.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by gnatster
Depends on the acrylic being used. hard to tell form the picture but it is machined cast it will fare far better then if it the extruded stuff. In fact the extruded stuff would probably deform in an engine bay.
Thanks. Probably depends also on if used in a R53 compared to the R56. The underhood temps on my wifes R56 are It will actually be interesting to see how all the plastic in the R56 engines bays holds up

Old 09-11-2009, 08:23 PM
JOHN800
1st Gear
Heat and chemical effects

The cast acrylic used is pretty hard to stain according to some of the scientific sites I visited. It is formed at above 350F so I am not too concerned about heat distortion. It will be situated on the plastic shroud in front of the firewall, so I believe that if the shroud can take it, so can the acrylic. The oil/water/mix should be cooled down in the SS wool, before it settles into the tank, so hot staining should be minimal, that is what testing should be for. As for production, I am arranging a consultation with a patent attorney next week and want to learn a bit more. I have purposely neglected to mention some of the properties of of the upper section. Right now, it is just looks like a prototype with some SS wool in it. I would like to divulge but am kind of leery of design infringement. I googled oil catch cans with my features and found no one else with it. So, ignoring the acrylic info, the rest sounds rather ambiguous, sorry. I will know more later next week.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Not a problem, so long as you don't claim it add 10 HP I don't think anyone will have an issue with you divulging your potential patent.

The only reason I think it may stain is from experience in the marine aqauria realm and using cast acrylic in scum collection cups of protein skimmers. Over time a brown film builds up that seems to bond with the acrylic, even the the closed cell cast stuff.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Act_04
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gnatster
The only reason I think it may stain is from experience in the marine aqauria realm and using cast acrylic in scum collection cups of protein skimmers. Over time a brown film builds up that seems to bond with the acrylic, even the the closed cell cast stuff.
Wouldn't the scum be causing the discoloration then? I dunno, just seems like two different scenarios.

Anyway, good luck JOHN800! I love new technology and inventions. Let us know how it goes, you may have your first customers right in front of you.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:25 PM
JOHN800
1st Gear
Thanks for the well wishes

My original opening regarding whether my OCC was better than off the shelf cans was purposeful. I wanted people who had one or knew something to take a shot at my design. I made a total of three, and settled on this version due to the robustness of the materials. The orings in this design are to be changed to Viton, due to oil and rubber not always getting along. I am a mechanical designer by trade, and worked for a biomass gasifier R&D company. I used some of my knowledge gained there to develop this particular idea. I make no promises of any HP gain, just a convenient way to keep the intercooler cleaner. I wanted an all season filter with a unique look. We are planning on visiting the attorney next week. And, I am off like a prom dress.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:06 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My Alta can tore from years of twisting implosion caused by boost vacuum exposure, so I need a new OCC.

Something like this:

Under boost, the thing squashed down and rubbed into the sheet metal by the hood latch. My occ was attached at the engine ground. I first noticed this when my car was on a dyno for a tune. No body had seen one do this before.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:42 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nabeshin
My Alta can tore from years of twisting implosion caused by boost vacuum exposure, so I need a new OCC.

Something like this:

Under boost, the thing squashed down and rubbed into the sheet metal by the hood latch. My occ was attached at the engine ground. I first noticed this when my car was on a dyno for a tune. No body had seen one do this before.
man how do you have it piped? all you should get is blow - bye gases . and crankcase pressure . no way should it be enough to distort metal .

Old 09-12-2009, 07:19 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by herbie hind
man how do you have it piped? all you should get is blow - bye gases . and crankcase pressure . no way should it be enough to distort metal .
The original Alta cans were a section of silicone hose with a machined aluminum top and bottom.

Jim

Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 PM
justintime
6th Gear
CF! :D

Old 09-12-2009, 07:33 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had the OCC routed between the ERG valve and the grey vacuum line from s/c. The crank vent goes to the intake as normal. This set up was talked about on here a while back.

Yeah, my Alta can was just a silicone hose.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:03 PM
JOHN800
1st Gear
Cripes!

I forgot that alta was Silicone bodied. It probably twisted based on the weave of the hose. I thought I would have to go to 1 inch thick walls.