Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Loss remote operation when I removed rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:34 PM
rhasenohrl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss remote operation when I removed rear view mirror

2006 Mini coupe with factory installed anti-theft alarm (DWA) and keyless entry. I removed my rear view mirror and loss the ability to use the functions of keyless entry. My goal is to install a Gentex auto dimming mirror (Gent45a) with HomeLink and compass. I found a circuit board inside the mirror (behind the glass/mirror) that appears to be a part of the keyless entry system. Has anyone relocated this circuit board and maintained the keyless entry functions. It does not appear to be an easy task to remove the circuit board without destroying the mirror, so I will purchase a new circuit board. I am plannig to use the originial mirror mounting hardware, but if it is not possible I will mount the new mirror to the windshield (simular to most vehicles). It appears there is sufficient room above the headliner to relocate the circuit board. If the circuit board can be relocated above the headliner and I need to attached the mirror to the windshield, I will manufacture a cover for where the original mirror was. I am at a point of no return in that I have ordered the Gentex mirror. I am not interested in the Mini factory auto dimming mirror with HomeLink, I want the compass. Any help will be most appreciated.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 AM
kazlot
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear View Mirror

Some posters have talked about putting the circuit board, removed from the mirror and insulated,
in the headliner above the mirror as there is ample space.

The distance will be reduced but the remote will still function properly.

I believe the circuit board is unavailable as a separate item.

The posts that I read, both here and on Mini2, were about replacing the mirror with a smaller model.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by kazlot; 10-12-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Clairity