Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Autometer Boost Gauge Install Fail...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Unit One
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autometer Boost Gauge Install Fail...

Installed the Autometer (mechanical) boost gauge this weekend... and am getting no response at the gauge.

Pretty much followed the NAM "$70 boost gauge" install (with non-VGS) to the letter (although I opted per Outmotoring to go with the Craven mount).

Worked out the electrical just fine... i.e. gauge illuminates and dims fine... but that's where the fun ends.

Install breakdown was as follows:

1. Removed the intercooler.

2. Disconnected the vacuum line from the bottom of the Fuel Pressure Regulator and connected it to left side of the plastic Tee.

3. Connected a 5/16" O.D.-5/32" I.D. rubber vacuum hose I bought @ Autozone to the right side of the plastic Tee and connected the other end back onto the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

4. Connected the 1/8" tubing (supplied with gauge) via brass fitting and compression ferrule to the Autometer Boost gauge... ran that line through the firewall gromet into the engine bay and routed it to the plastic Tee.

5. At that point I blew into the line that I had just ran from the gauge (watching that I did not blow spit into the line !) ) and had my son watch the gauge for needle response (to make certain I had a good unkinked line)... my son indicated that the needle did show movement indicating "pressure".

6. Connected that line from the gauge to the bottom side of the plastic Tee and dressed up the hoses so as to keep them from being crushed/kinked.

7. Reinstalled the intercooler.

8. Started the car (which as far as I can tell is running perfectly fine boostwise)... but the gauge just sits there... NO discernable needle movement at all... ugh

I have had the intercooler off and on (3) times now... changed the plastic Tee just for good measure... re-ferrule-compression connected the line onto the gauge... and gone up and down the gauge line verifying no kinks or compressions...

I am stuck... what am I missing ?

Old 10-25-2009, 03:46 PM
ricbow
5th Gear
did you conect on the boost side?

Old 10-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Unit One
1st Gear
boost side ?

Not sure what you mean by "boost side" ... if you are referring to the line associated with the "Fuel Pressure Regulator" I pulled the line off the nipple on the bottom... which I connected to the left side of the Tee... then connected a second hose on the right side of the Tee which I connected back to the FPR...

Old 10-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Unit One
1st Gear
Got it !!!

Turned out the vacuum line which originally connected to the FPR had popped of of it's reverse side connection to the intake manifold... I must have pulled it while originally struggling with the "Tee" connections...

Reconnected it... and gauge is working great !