Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior License Plate Lighting Options w/ Photos

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009 | 04:31 PM
tcowden
|
2nd Gear
License Plate Lighting Options w/ Photos

UPDATE (11/25/09): After installing and running with the LEDs for a while (probably <10 nights) I noticed one went out. When I removed the lens that covers the socket, I noticed that the LEDs were on, but only just glowing. I confirmed that the bulb was receiving sufficient voltage and was making a good connection with the contacts. The second bulb was still working fine.

Hoen requested that I return both c5W dLED bulbs so they could test them. They concluded that they need to make a change to the design (I don't know the exact details) and would send me a new set when the new ones are ready. Until then, they have sent me a set of the xenon-match incandescents to use.

I'll provide updates when I receive the revised dLEDs.

Hi All,

I've gone through a few changes with my lighting for my 2007 MCS and thought I'd share some photos of what each looks like.

NOTE: Everyone has an opinion on what they like best in modifications, so this thread isn't meant to show one bulb's superiority over another, but just to point out the differences. YOU be the judge of what YOU like best!

Let's start with the rear license plate bulbs.

Each photo below was taken using the same camera and lens as well as the same shutter speed and aperture, so the differences in light and color are due exclusively to the bulbs. All photos were taken in a darkened garage at night.

Stock Bulbs
First off, the stock bulb. The stock bulb is a C5W festoon bulb. This is also listed as a type 6418 bulb. It is a 5 watt clear incandescent bulb. The standard length of the bulb is "normally" 36mm. My OEM bulbs measured 38.05mm. Replacements are probably about $4/pair.

Here is the light output from the stock bulbs.

Hoen C5W 4000degree bulb
The next bulb is sold by Hoen USA. It has a blue tint to the glass and is a standard 5W bulb. The blue glass filters out the yellow light, making the light appear "whiter." The "4000 degree" description relates to the approximate color temperature of the light, not a heat value. The company says that the bulbs are 37mm, but mine measured 36.17mm. They sell for $19/pr.

In order to install these smaller bulbs I had to squeeze the two connectors closer together so that they would hold the bulb snugly. Be careful when doing this because the two connectors are attached to a PC board and could break off if you bend them too much.

Here is the light output from the Hoen incandescents:

Remember that the aperture and shutter speed are the same as the previous picture, so the light level differences you see are accurate.

Although I liked the "whiter" light, they didn't produce as much light as the stock bulbs.

Hoen dLED C5W LED bulb
The last "bulb" is also sold by Hoen but it uses 2 LEDs in each "bulb." The LEDs are mounted on a small PC board which is attached to two metal ends. These are not encapsulated in glass, but are open to the air. Mine measured 37.58mm. They sell for $35/pair.

The LEDs are arranged so that they face downward when installed correctly. The LED bulbs, unlike incandescent bulbs, are sensitive to polarity (+/-) and will only illuminate when inserted with the positive(+) side to the left. The small PC board has markings to show you which end is which.

Here is the light output from the Hoen dLED:

As you can see, there is a lot more light output than the Hoen incandescent bulbs. Although the camera angle is slightly different from the other two photos, the shutter speed and aperture remain the same.

I'm sure that there are other bulbs available that could also be used for comparison, but this captures the main differences.

So, YOU decide what YOU like best!

Larger photos can be found here: License Plate Light Comparison Photos

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited by tcowden; 11-25-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-02-2009 | 05:04 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with us. I really like the white light emitted by the Hoen LED bulbs. I read somewhere the LED bulbs will trigger a fault code if the resistance isn't correct. Are you getting any fault codes with the Hoen LEDs?

Old 11-02-2009 | 07:49 PM
tcowden
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by UAL_Kingpin
Are you getting any fault codes with the Hoen LEDs?
Nope, no fault codes whatsoever; and I have them in other places too More posts will be coming about the others.

I've found the MINI to be much less sensitive to those type of fault codes than BMWs. I think the quality of the LED replacements has also improved as the manufacturers have become more knowledgeable about what electrical loads the cars are looking for.

Cheers,
Tom

Old 11-02-2009 | 08:10 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Did you have to do anything to install the LED bubls?

Old 11-03-2009 | 01:09 AM
Sketch
5th Gear
Thanks for posting this, I am soon going to buy a set of Hoen leds for the license plate, since I now know that they will not throw a bulb out light.

Old 11-03-2009 | 04:32 AM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
Yeah I was concerned about the "bulb light" too. Are the Hoen LEDs 5 watts like the stock bulbs? I have another brand of LEDs that I've always used in the past but I'm concerned about the low load they draw. Thanks for your post Tom!

Old 11-03-2009 | 04:50 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I like the LED's actually picked some up for the footwells on the car and they are much brighter then the normal ones and very easy to install. Will look to get these for the license plate area as they are way brighter then what i have already.

Old 11-03-2009 | 09:03 AM
tcowden
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Did you have to do anything to install the LED bubls?
Nothing more than you would have to to do to change a regular bulb.

That being said, regardless of the type of bulb, it takes a little dexterity to place the bulb up inside the small space. I found it easier to do it with the hatch half way open so I could see up into it and if it fell out it wouldn't fall to the ground.

Cheers,
Tom

Old 12-01-2009 | 10:01 AM
sunman
3rd Gear
Hi Tcowden,
Did you ever try the ones from Superbrightleds.com? I thought there was a review on these in this forum but could not locate it in the search. I wonder if these would trigger throw a bulb light out indicator, but I wonder if there is an indicator in our cars? I have one side that is out and have not seen a light indicator. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009 | 01:56 PM
tcowden
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sunman
Hi Tcowden,
Did you ever try the ones from Superbrightleds.com
I have not tried those specific bulbs.

A couple of years ago I tested a variety of tail lamp LED replacement bulbs from that company for my BMW and had mixed results. One of the things that they don't indicate in their ads is how hot the LEDs run when on. Some run extremely hot when turned on constantly and were better suited for turn signals or brake lights that aren't on a long time. I also found that the light output of some of the LED bulbs dropped off significantly over a short period of time (<3 hours). I opted to keep the upgraded, but stable, incandescents that I had.

Cheers,
Tom

Old 09-13-2010 | 11:48 AM
tcowden
|
2nd Gear
Update on LED License Plate Bulbs

After waiting quite a while for Hoen to get back in touch with me on the updated LED license plate bulbs and never hearing back from them, I went ahead and tried another set from a different vendor, LED automotive.com.

I am VERY pleased with the ones I got from them. The set I got (LED License Plate Bulbs) is for an E46 BMW, but they work fine in the MINI.

The brightness and cool white color are very similar to the photos of the original Hoen LEDs. No only that, but they are also only $17/pr. I don't recall their exact length, but I didn't have any fitment issues.

I've had them in for about 4 months now and have not had any issues with their functionality, and have never had any Bulb Out warnings.

Cheers,
Tom