Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Installing TVA armrest

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Mighty_Boognish
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I just received the TVA vinyl armrest for my MINI. It's a nice armrest, and it doesn't require any drilling to install. However, it didn't arrive with instructions, either. On the bottom of the armrest are two hook and latch mechanisms that need to go under the center plastic e-brake/cupholder console. Thing is, how do I remove the center e-brake/cupholder console? I don't see any screws? Do I just yank it up and off? Seems risky.

However, in order to correctly install the armrest, I need to remove the e-brake console, connect the armrest latches that secure it to the console, and reconnect the console.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Mighty_Boognish

Old 11-05-2003, 09:09 PM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
You don't need to remove anything..... at least I didn't.
just push the bottom of the bracket into the space between the plastic console and the carpet. It won't hurt anything. Once you have the two brackets lined up, push them together at the top, and push the screw through. Finally screw the screws into the wooden part of the armrest.

Once you have everything all installed together, you can move the whole armrest forward or backward to your desired location. If you do a search, OctaneGuy has posted quite a few pictures; it should be able to help you figure out how to install it.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Mighty_Boognish
2nd Gear

Thanks for the advice! Actually, I think you have the TVA "elbow landing device" right? The round mushroom looking one with the metal supports?

I bought the other one, the "long" padded, vinyl armrest (the $70 one). I figured out how to install it after fiddling around with it last night. Just as you do for the landing device: simply slide the 4 "hooks" between the carpet and the plastic -- the tension keeps them firmly in place. No removing of anything required! It looks good and offers good support for those especially long trips.

Rock On,

-MightyBoognish

Old 11-06-2003, 09:23 AM
fries
2nd Gear
Pix from both of you would be great, just so I know which armrests you're talking about. I'm still undecided but I know I don't like the big bulky ones.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:25 PM
Mighty_Boognish
2nd Gear

Here's the big bulky one I bought...actually it's not as bulky as it looks in the photo: it fits right between the seats with about 1/2" inch clearance on either side (space between the armrest and the seats). Thing is, it only comes in grey, but it's a very dark grey, looks perfect with the black leatherette seats...

http://www.aiwana.com/Merchant/merch...y_Code=miniint

Here's a photo of the "elbow landing device:" (Someone on MCO, oops I mean NAM, has photos of this in his MINI..)

http://www.aiwana.com/Merchant/merch...y_Code=miniint

Rock ON,

-MightyBoognish

Old 11-06-2003, 01:34 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>
>>Hi. I just received the TVA vinyl armrest for my MINI. It's a nice armrest, and it doesn't require any drilling to install. However, it didn't arrive with instructions, either. On the bottom of the armrest are two hook and latch mechanisms that need to go under the center plastic e-brake/cupholder console. Thing is, how do I remove the center e-brake/cupholder console? I don't see any screws? Do I just yank it up and off? Seems risky.
>>
>>However, in order to correctly install the armrest, I need to remove the e-brake console, connect the armrest latches that secure it to the console, and reconnect the console.
>>
>>Any advice appreciated!
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mighty_Boognish
>>

Here's the thread on this armrest that I created:

Elbow Landing Device on NAM

The pix were broken cause I modified the location of the pictures on my server, but it's fixed now. You can also find more info at:

Lil'Octane's Arm Rest Pictures

Old 11-06-2003, 02:00 PM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
sorry, didn't realize TVA sells two armrests.
Glad you got it all figured out!

Old 11-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Mighty_Boognish
2nd Gear

The one downside to the long padded armrest I bought is it covers up the rear cupholder, rendering it useless. Thing is, i never use it anyway... but if you do, the Elbow Landing Device may be a better choice!

-MB

Old 11-07-2003, 08:39 AM
fries
2nd Gear
Thanks for the pix (OctaneGuy, too)! Personally, I like the simplicity of the Elbow Landing Device (and the name!). It's in character with the MINI.

Old 11-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Storer
5th Gear
You've got to be kidding me?! 50 bucks for that thing? Parts cost $15 TOPS! I would imagine about 7 minutes went into R&D. And people complain about $600 exhaust?

Old 07-21-2004, 07:08 AM
sleslie
1st Gear
Arm Rest if You are SASQUATCH

I have this armrest. But, why in the world would they have made this so low?? I am going to have a friend add something to raise the height. I'm 5'4" and it's way too low. Good idea, but no research unless SASQUATCH designed it.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:33 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Storer
You've got to be kidding me?! 50 bucks for that thing? Parts cost $15 TOPS! I would imagine about 7 minutes went into R&D. And people complain about $600 exhaust?
I have the elbo landing device and I like it........but, I thought the same thing you did about the cost. Fifteen bucks would be at the upper end of TVA's cost for this thing. I didn't sent it back because it works well for me.:smile:

Old 07-22-2004, 10:54 AM
samawil
5th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
>>
>>Hi. I just received the TVA vinyl armrest for my MINI. It's a nice armrest, and it doesn't require any drilling to install. However, it didn't arrive with instructions, either. On the bottom of the armrest are two hook and latch mechanisms that need to go under the center plastic e-brake/cupholder console. Thing is, how do I remove the center e-brake/cupholder console? I don't see any screws? Do I just yank it up and off? Seems risky.
>>
>>However, in order to correctly install the armrest, I need to remove the e-brake console, connect the armrest latches that secure it to the console, and reconnect the console.
>>
>>Any advice appreciated!
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mighty_Boognish
>>

Here's the thread on this armrest that I created:

Elbow Landing Device on NAM

The pix were broken cause I modified the location of the pictures on my server, but it's fixed now. You can also find more info at:

Lil'Octane's Arm Rest Pictures
Your pics are what drove me to buy this one over the others...thanks Octane guy