Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Adding paddles to a Cooper automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:02 AM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding paddles to a Cooper automatic?

I traded my 2006 MCSCa in for a 2010 MC a few weeks ago. Overall I'm really happy with it. But I really wish MINI hadn't eliminated the ability to get paddle shifters on the base Cooper. Paddling shifting is just so much better and more fun than using the regular shifter. Granted, the loss wasn't enough to make me order an S - getting 15" wheels and a spare tire won out there. But I still miss them especially since the transmission on the 2010 seems to shift a lot faster than the 2006.

I gotta believe most of the wiring and stuff you need is already there. So I'm wondering, has anyone added paddles themselves?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It might work. I would ask the dealership. Cause a lot of the electrical stuff has to come on the MINI from the factory or it won't be able to go on.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:08 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had no idea that they had dumped the paddles on 2010 MCa. That would not be acceptable to me. I have both on my 2009, was this just cost cutting?

Old 12-24-2009, 04:51 PM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
I'm told it was cost cutting. But I'm shocked they didn't at least make it available as a standalone option; I'd willingly have paid a few hundred extra for them.

The dealer didn't seem to be aware of any way to add it - if it's not officially sanctioned by BMW NA/MINI NA then they probably don't want to even touch it.

I did read somewhere that in Canada it's still avaialble as a $100 factory option.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
For awhile when I was looking for my 08 MCS (in late 07 and early 08), the paddle shifters were standard with the performance package, and could be added as factory option for extra cost. I wouldn't put it past MINI to have discontinued or changes that option, they've done the same thing to the performance package and several other options.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:27 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BensMini
I had no idea that they had dumped the paddles on 2010 MCa. That would not be acceptable to me. I have both on my 2009, was this just cost cutting?

Paddles are still available here in Canada. They're a $100 option on the Cooper with auto trans, and they come with the auto trans option on the "S".

__________________________________________________ __

Old 12-25-2009, 12:00 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the Steptronic interface is not hard-wired to your steering column it would be a major major hassle. If it is, maybe the parts can be put in place...

and yes the pads were removed after Jan this year to cut costs, IMO a major mistake.

The following users liked this post:
lcac1779 (06-04-2021)
Old 12-25-2009, 12:35 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
If the Steptronic interface is not hard-wired to your steering column it would be a major major hassle. If it is, maybe the parts can be put in place...

and yes the pads were removed after Jan this year to cut costs, IMO a major mistake.
So are the paddles completely unavailable on all models in the U.S.?

I wonder why they're still available here in Canada... doesn't seem to make sense to drop them there but keep them here, even as a $100 option (quite cheap, IMHO) on the automatic JustaCooper. As I mentioned above, if the Canadian Cooper "S" is ordered with the auto trans, the shift paddles are still included (I just checked on the MINI Canada website) with NO option to delete them. You get them on your automatic "S" whether you want them or not.

Puzzling???...

Old 12-25-2009, 02:01 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by 33EJB
So are the paddles completely unavailable on all models in the U.S.?
Standard on all models of the S, completely unavailable on all models of the non-S.

I believe that paddles are standard worldwide on the automatic S. In most countries, paddles are not standard on the non-S but available as an option. MINIUSA was different including paddles as standard on the non-S, but now a complete turnaround not offering it at all, not even as an option. For this thread, the main question (still unanswered) is whether paddles can be retrofitted.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:57 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
They were standard on the 07s and 08s Cooper non-S auto. I have an 08 non-S auto and I love the paddles especially when you just need a quick burst of power when passing.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:36 AM
franinpa
1st Gear
Paddles?

Just go out and get a 6 speed manual already! Paddles? That's not DRIVING, that's STEERING!

Old 12-28-2009, 05:17 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm with franinpa on that one, get a 6 speed!

But either way, MINI ditching the paddles is pretty lame. That's the only thing I actually enjoyed about that transmission. As far as I know, the car being paddle-less is the only thing that changed on the transmission between 2009 and 2010, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it done. And if it can be done with an S's transmission, it can be done with an MC's.

Actually, since you live in Philly, it wouldn't be a bad idea to call, or even visit one of the Canadian dealers that is right over the border (somewhere between Niagara Falls and Toronto) to see if they can hook it up for you. Wouldn't be TOO bad of a drive to get it done professionally if one of the US dealers can't do it. Just a thought.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have an 08 Cooper auto with the paddles and love them. The temporary gear override function is awesome and cannot be replicated with the gear selector.

From studying the diagrams at RealOEM I would be willing to bet you could get all of the parts for your multifunction steering wheel to add the buttons. Now I would be willing to bet the wiring still exists (But BMW is well known for removing the wiring from harnesses if the feature is not factory ordered).

So with the buttons installed, the system may just start working.

My gut feel is that it will work, but if it doesn't this is where the dealer may help or you may have to get the J2534 tool and program the "retrofit" yourself. The real key to this is getting the computer to recognize the paddles are there. This may or may not be an option on the software and you won't be able to tell unless someone with a 09+ auto non-S Cooper can tell whether paddle shifters are listed in the retrofit list.

See this thread about how to go about getting this setup:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...2534-tool.html

No matter how you look at it, testing this out is going to be tricky since you will have to dissemble your wheel to see if you can test activate the buttons or the wiring associated with them. If it works then you need just the correct parts to add the paddles. If not, then it just may not work.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...73&hg=32&fg=35

The paddles are part number 4, lists for $255.

Finding the wiring harness in the TDS would help dramatically. I can't load it at the moment since I don't have a Windows computer handy at the moment.

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 12-28-2009 at 09:17 PM.
lcac1779 (06-04-2021)
Old 12-28-2009, 07:40 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
I'm with franinpa on that one, get a 6 speed!

As far as I know, the car being paddle-less is the only thing that changed on the transmission between 2009 and 2010, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it done. And if it can be done with an S's transmission, it can be done with an MC's.
... and the fact that it's an option here in Canada that only costs $100 to add to the MCa - tells me that it's probably not too big a deal to add to a non-paddled US MCa. The cost of the parts (paddles, switches, brackets or whatever is necessary) would easily eat up the biggest part of $100, so it can't take too much to add them or the cost would be higher.

$100 doesn't buy much at a MINI/BMW dealer, not around these parts anyway!

I'd call around and ask. Many dealers will just say "No", but surely some adventurous MINI dealer would do it for you if it's possible.

__________________________________________________ __

Old 12-28-2009, 07:56 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Not sure what is going here, but here are the paddles:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...73&hg=61&fg=35

Lists for $293 each.

The good things I have found with more research is the car's main wiring harness does not depend on the transmission type. Nor the steering column switches. You may need a new steering wheel to put the paddles into.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...75&hg=32&fg=35

There it shows the different part numbers depending on the paddle shifters or for the actual wheel itself.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
or even visit one of the Canadian dealers that is right over the border (somewhere between Niagara Falls and Toronto) to see if they can hook it up for you.
The issue is retrofitting paddles, not what is available as an option on a new car. Canadian dealers probably have no more information about retrofitting than US dealers.

Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...73&hg=32&fg=35

The paddles are part number 4, lists for $255.
The steering wheel for paddles is different from the non-paddle steering wheel. You'll need the full steering wheel package (item #1 at $521 list).

Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by franinpa
Just go out and get a 6 speed manual already! Paddles? That's not DRIVING, that's STEERING!
Thanks for adding absolutely nothing constructive to this discussion. Plus for some of us who may have a disability, like me, and cannot drive a manual, your comment comes off as crass and childish.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 PM
The QZ
4th Gear
I have the opposite problem. I have an 2007 auto S with the paddles and am wondering if I can get rid of them. I want to order a JCW wheel and the only thing keeping me from doing that is the paddles. It seems that they just plug in somewhere.

ronmichael, I'd be willing to sell you my auto wheel, if I can get my jcw wheel on without problems. (For much cheaper than the dealer)

I'm worried that not having the paddles plugged in will cause the computer to constantly throw error codes. So I'm wondering if i can get a reflash done to tell the computer that I don't have the paddles.

I guess I could just try it and find out. Funny, how it's like the exact opposite problem.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Branto
1st Gear
Want to try?

I have an extra wheel with the paddles and multifunction. It is off an 09 MCSa, and in perfect condition. Wanted a regular MF wheel, guy sent me one for automatic by mistake.

The wiring for the paddles and the MF inserts are wired together ; they both end in one adaptor connection that plugs into the steering column.

PM me if interested, if not will post on marketplace.

Should work. If an MCS can have it, why not a MC?

Old 01-02-2010, 10:38 PM
cjay
Neutral
Strange they deleted the paddles up there...

I'm in Australia and they are still standard on all autos

Like sequence I also have a few health problems. My left arm was smashed years ago, I think the paddles are great

Old 06-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
I know I'm bringing back an old thred, but the root question seems to have never been answered.

Has anyone out there successfully added paddle shifters to a Non-S Gen 2 MIni, 2009 or later?

If so, is the wiring to add it in all of the cars? Does it require programming? Can the average dealer do the job? What should we expect the cost to be?

lio.camouflage@gmail.com (05-23-2023)
Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 AM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
I'm definitely still interested. I've been tempted to ask my dealer if they'd order the part and at least try the install. If it fails, return the part and I'd pay for their time.

lio.camouflage@gmail.com (05-23-2023)
Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 AM
The QZ
4th Gear
I went the other way and removed the shifters to install a jcw wheel, but I may have some insight.

Do you guys already have the MFSW buttons and cruise control?

If you do the plug should already be there. The paddles are actually wired into the harness for the mfsw controls and they both plug into the same spot.

If you have the mfsw controls already you shouldn't need to have a reprogramming. when I removed the paddles there were no alarms, the car didn't seem to care that the paddles were gone, so I assume it should just be a plug and play type thing.

However, the parts my be exspensive. You will have to buy a new wheel with the paddles and a new set of MFSW controls with a wiring harness for the paddles. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to just get the wiring harness, you have to buy a new set of mfsw controls. All in all, about $500 for parts. It may be a little different on your 09, but this is how it was on my 07.

I've actually been trying to sell my old wheel if anyone is interested. It comes with the paddles, mfsw controls, and the correct wiring harness. You would have to use the bottom center spoke piece and screws from your current wheel.
I was looking for $200 shipped, if anyone is interested just let me know.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 PM
perro
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Retrofit CAN BE DONE. It is as simple as removing it..

I've done it on my 09 MC (bought the steering wheel with paddles @ebay). It's just plug and play. The wireing is allready there.

Peter

lcac1779 (06-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2011, 03:57 PM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
The Automatic has a different steering wheel. The paddles fit into a recessed area on the spokes. See this thread for how someone modded a JCW wheel to accept the paddles:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-shifters.html

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Adding paddles to a Cooper automatic?