Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Ebay Halo's and my Xenon.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:06 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
If you look, some people are selling just the lenses. You can pry off the lens and slap on a new one for $50. I just got rid of a few lenses that were in good shape. I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks

Old 12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
"Yeah, DMBfan2,
If you are going to buy these headlights just becasue you need a new protective shield thing, I would simply buy new Shield as burley suggested, as it would be cheaper. especially if you are happy with the current look of yours now.
Also, I might check the dealership to see if they could sell you a shield thing for a decent price.
However, if you are going for the look of the new lights and are going more for style, then you can get new lights =]"

When this happened I called the dealership and they said that they don't sell just-the-shield and that I would need new headlights (set) because they do not sell single headlights. Then they quoted me $700 for the lights. I've searched around for the shield but came up with nothing, so I gave up. It seems as though the Halo's are brighter than the Xenon lights that I have now. Maybe It's time for a change......

Old 12-31-2009, 06:28 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by DMBFan2
When this happened I called the dealership and they said that they don't sell just-the-shield and that I would need new headlights (set) because they do not sell single headlights. Then they quoted me $700 for the lights. I've searched around for the shield but came up with nothing, so I gave up. It seems as though the Halo's are brighter than the Xenon lights that I have now. Maybe It's time for a change......
The dealer quoted you $700 for a set of projector xenons or halogens? if so thats actually a great price. As for the halos being brighter than the xenons.... have you read any of this thread?

Are you just looking for the chrome ring or the actual clear lens? Both are pretty easy to find. Let me know which you're looking for and I'll take a look.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:36 PM
burley
6th Gear
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...rior_trim.html

Blackout rings available. Since they paint used chrome pieces, I bet they'll sell you the chrome for cheap. Lenses are a little harder and you have to look used, but are out there.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:08 PM
jirsty
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"
It seems as though the Halo's are brighter than the Xenon lights that I have now. Maybe It's time for a change......
</p>

Me too sort of, I'm not happy with mine as it is, so if it gets worse, it wouldnt be much worse.
I'm going to give them a shot at least.
You said $700 was a good deal from the dealer? (berly)
These ebay ones are usualyl like just below $200, so at that price, I would say it is worth the risk if I absolutaly hate them, but definitely, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by jirsty; 12-31-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:31 AM
burley
6th Gear
x

Last edited by burley; 01-02-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:15 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
I was hoping that I could find the Halo's in a Xenon fashion. Do you think the Xenon is too hot for the Halo's?

What about LED's? My neighbor has a new Audi and it has LEDs in the headlight. Looks NICE.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:01 AM
jirsty
3rd Gear
I was hoping that I could find the Halo's in a Xenon fashion. Do you think the Xenon is too hot for the Halo's?

What about LED's? My neighbor has a new Audi and it has LEDs in the headlight. Looks NICE.
I would assume it would probably be too hot.
but, be searching on ebay i found these bad boys:
Ebay Xenon Halos
I ended up buying the cheaper ones, and i got them for $175.
Now that I see these, I kind of wish I gave these a shot instead...
hah.
I don't know how good that light is or anything, but yeah, its your choice man!

As for LEDs, I have not an idea. haha.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 AM
burley
6th Gear

xenons actually run cooler than halogens since they're only 35 watt instead of 55. Just ask anyone with xenons in the midwest. Snow and ice rarely melt on the headlights like when I had halogens.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:47 AM
tekron
3rd Gear
I have the ebay lights as well.. although my halo lights inside don't light up as bright as yours. Any idea why?
I bought these as soon as they popped up on the market on ebay.. and I paid like twice what theyre going for now but I love them.
I've also seen different shades of the halo light inside... like colors ranging from blue to bright white. People on the uk mini forum have a long topic on these. I wonder if there is a way to replace that oddly shaped LED inside the headlight that lights up the ring. Take a look if you can next time you get a chance, never saw any led like it before

Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine fog up in the rain. Where are you adding the extra sealant?

Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
jirsty
3rd Gear
Mine dont fog up in the rain or snow,
But fog up when I wash the car in cold weather..
weird.

Other than that, the ebays have been great, and are about equal with my xenons, maybe a tad better.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:43 AM
MiniBistroR53
2nd Gear
So if I am reading this correctly, If I buy the ebay lights, could I get the HID conversion kit still!?

Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 PM
jirsty
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBistroR53
So if I am reading this correctly, If I buy the ebay lights, could I get the HID conversion kit still!?
I don't know.
I haven't tried yet, if you do and everything, let me know how it goes!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 PM
jayk
2nd Gear
i use HID on mine. works perfectly fine but like others said light is not great. i would prefer factory headlight. and there was gap in the lens as well. need some DIY work to seal it.

my angle eye ring is a bit yellowish. i bot the 3mm super white led. haven't got time to replace it yet.

there are some halo lens on ebay esp taiwan. i wonder if i can replace the headlight with it. probably need some major work to take in/out.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 PM
MiniBistroR53
2nd Gear
Hmmm...Im kinda thinkin I should just get the HID kit. I did the joey mod myself, and looks great! I do not have the projector headlights though but I as far as I can tell, I should stick w/ my OEM and just get the HID kit...PS is there a better brand then the other!? I see on ebay they sell em for aroud $50-$80 then there are these...http://www.coopersport.com/53/HIR/ Lemme know what you think! Thanks!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...rior_trim.html

Blackout rings available. Since they paint used chrome pieces, I bet they'll sell you the chrome for cheap. Lenses are a little harder and you have to look used, but are out there.
Thanks...

I haven't been able to shop for a clear lens yet because of work but I am looking for something unique and BRIGHT...

Old 03-02-2010, 09:24 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
If you look, some people are selling just the lenses. You can pry off the lens and slap on a new one for $50. I just got rid of a few lenses that were in good shape. I'll keep an eye out.

Still can't find "just the lens" Anyone know where / Who sells these?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:47 AM
burley
6th Gear
Still can't find "just the lens" Anyone know where / Who sells these?
Yeah... I think I got really lucky. I dont see them often. Maybe off a set of headlights that dont work. Check ebay, junkyards, etc... I've seen NAMers selling lights that dont work in the past.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:02 AM
panaphobic
3rd Gear
i also bought a set of these. i had stock halogens and let me tell you these make a HUGE difference. they look pretty nice and they fit in really well. only took a few minutes to install and were plug'n'play with the factory harness. they just take a little while of trial and error to get them adjusted properly. it would have been MUCH easier if the lights weren't built into the hood! but let me tell you that after i adjusted the lights, they made a HUGE difference! coming from stock halogens to aftermarket xenon hid's, i'd say that i'm VERY happy with them.

here's a pic with just one projector in:

as you can tell, there isn't any kind of noticeable gap in the aftermarket HID when compared to the stock halogen

and here's a pic with both installed:

i'll have to see if one day when i'm bored if i can put one of the stock halogens back in and you guys can see the difference in the lighting.

either way, i'm very please with how they came out, even though they may be from ebay, they have been a nice change to my every day of night driving!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 AM
jirsty
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by panaphobic
i also bought a set of these. i had stock halogens and let me tell you these make a HUGE difference. they look pretty nice and they fit in really well. only took a few minutes to install and were plug'n'play with the factory harness. they just take a little while of trial and error to get them adjusted properly. it would have been MUCH easier if the lights weren't built into the hood! but let me tell you that after i adjusted the lights, they made a HUGE difference! coming from stock halogens to aftermarket xenon hid's, i'd say that i'm VERY happy with them.

as you can tell, there isn't any kind of noticeable gap in the aftermarket HID when compared to the stock halogen

i'll have to see if one day when i'm bored if i can put one of the stock halogens back in and you guys can see the difference in the lighting.

either way, i'm very please with how they came out, even though they may be from ebay, they have been a nice change to my every day of night driving!
Glad to hear it went well for you!

Old 04-04-2010, 11:57 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just noticed your in MASS. Want to meet up one day so I can check those bad boys out?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:38 PM
rastablaze11
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBistroR53
Hmmm...Im kinda thinkin I should just get the HID kit. I did the joey mod myself, and looks great! I do not have the projector headlights though but I as far as I can tell, I should stick w/ my OEM and just get the HID kit...PS is there a better brand then the other!? I see on ebay they sell em for aroud $50-$80 then there are these...http://www.coopersport.com/53/HIR/ Lemme know what you think! Thanks!

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. Also, on coopersport.com what light matches the OEM xenons?

Old 04-04-2010, 03:40 PM
VioletDC
3rd Gear

I bought a set from eBay, as well. I took them 2 my local auto shop and had them 'level' them out 4 me, but it turns out the passenger side isn't as bright as the driver's side. According 2 the eBay description, they use H1 bulbs for high/low beams, so I just purchased a set of H1 bulbs to replace them (haven't installed them yet) so the brightness can be even. Also, my halo isn't bright, either, so I'm thinking I'll have 2 get brighter LEDs or something 2 make them brighter.

I'm gonna email the eBay vendor 2 ask a few more questions and see if the housing can withstand H7 bulbs. If so, I'll get a set of those, as well.

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Audrey%20Abernathy/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/MINI%20Lub/Coffee%20in%20Ashburn%202.jpg[/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails Ebay Halo's and my Xenon.-xenon-close-up-sm.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 04:59 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had these on my car since the fall and it was definitely an improvement from stock halogen IMO. The projectors give off a slight purplish tint above the cut-line and a nice sharp blue when you cross over until you get to the projection.

And MrCooperS, I'm in south-western MA/Northern CT if you want to meet up and check them out.

Also, as it's been noted earlier, the halos aren't too bright during the day but at night it's quite brilliant. They also flicker a bit when you start the car which I think is pretty cool if you're going for style.

cheers

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Ebay Halo's and my Xenon.