Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Ebay Halo's and my Xenon.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:09 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh what the heck, I'll post some pictures too. These were taken the night after I installed. Hope it helps.

Attached Thumbnails Ebay Halo's and my Xenon.-dsc_0014.jpg   Ebay Halo's and my Xenon.-dsc_0008.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 05:24 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VioletDC

I bought a set from eBay, as well. I took them 2 my local auto shop and had them 'level' them out 4 me, but it turns out the passenger side isn't as bright as the driver's side. According 2 the eBay description, they use H1 bulbs for high/low beams, so I just purchased a set of H1 bulbs to replace them (haven't installed them yet) so the brightness can be even. Also, my halo isn't bright, either, so I'm thinking I'll have 2 get brighter LEDs or something 2 make them brighter.

I'm gonna email the eBay vendor 2 ask a few more questions and see if the housing can withstand H7 bulbs. If so, I'll get a set of those, as well.

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Audrey%20Abernathy/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/MINI%20Lub/Coffee%20in%20Ashburn%202.jpg[/IMG]
I changed the H1 bulbs that came in the headlights out for Luminics H1 ultra white bulbs. They were a little whiter than what came in them. I'm going to get the Luminics blue bulbs and see what they look like in these housings. I wouldn't bother trying to change the type of bulb that is in the housing due to the type of wiring and connector.There's not much you can do for the brightness of the LEDs. It's the light piping design of the ring. I do have a "How To" on changing the LEDs out. I along with some others have had the original LEDs go out due to the use of inverters. I changed mine to LEDs with resistors and they were a little brighter, but not much. And, you can also change the color if you wish.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:40 AM
VioletDC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
I changed the H1 bulbs that came in the headlights out for Luminics H1 ultra white bulbs. They were a little whiter than what came in them. I'm going to get the Luminics blue bulbs and see what they look like in these housings. I wouldn't bother trying to change the type of bulb that is in the housing due to the type of wiring and connector.

There's not much you can do for the brightness of the LEDs. It's the light piping design of the ring. I do have a "How To" on changing the LEDs out. I along with some others have had the original LEDs go out due to the use of inverters. I changed mine to LEDs with resistors and they were a little brighter, but not much. And, you can also change the color if you wish.

Oh, OK; thanks 4 the info. I'm still waiting 2 hear from the vendor about the H1 bulbs. I saw some little wiring connections in there I didn't expect 2 encounter vs. just seeing a bulb I could pull out and replace.

Can u please send/link me 2 your LED change-out how-to?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by VioletDC
Oh, OK; thanks 4 the info. I'm still waiting 2 hear from the vendor about the H1 bulbs. I saw some little wiring connections in there I didn't expect 2 encounter vs. just seeing a bulb I could pull out and replace.

Can u please send/link me 2 your LED change-out how-to?
Your's didn't come with bulbs? The wires have to be pulled off and clipped onto the bulb. I guess that's just how H1 connectors are. I'm on my iPhone right now and can't hyperlink for you, but if you go into the 1st Gen "how to" section, you'll see my write up on the eBay halo headlight fix. If you can't find it, I'll give you the link when I get home from work today. If you need any more help with these lights, let me know.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:07 PM
VioletDC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
Your's didn't come with bulbs? The wires have to be pulled off and clipped onto the bulb. I guess that's just how H1 connectors are. I'm on my iPhone right now and can't hyperlink for you, but if you go into the 1st Gen "how to" section, you'll see my write up on the eBay halo headlight fix. If you can't find it, I'll give you the link when I get home from work today. If you need any more help with these lights, let me know.

LOL ... yes, there are bulbs in there, but I saw all those wires and got nervous. I'll look 4 your how-to, tho; thanks again!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:36 AM
scottgregory74
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GumbyLara
I LOVE mine! Have had them for about 3 months now, just make sure when you get them to run a little silicone around the seal to be sure it is sealed all the way. Otherwise the fog up in the mornings sometimes. I have an 03' and previously had Xenon's, they plugged up without a problem, that just means that you cannot put HID bulbs inside them because the projector is not designed for it. Could possibly melt or the bulb might touch the lens. But I love mine. I wired my angel eye to my parking lights, there is also another light inside the lens which you can wire to your blinker if you want but I haven't yet. Planning on it though!

The light line is great as well! Here are some demo pics!

Some people say there is a gap between the headlight ring and the molding of the hood but mine isn't noticeable at all!

And the light line: the bulbs that they came with as well: behind the car

In front of the car:
How did you wire your Halo light to your parking light. Is there an easy way or do you need to use alot of wire?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
No easy way on the first gens. You have to run the wiring back under the hood liner then down the hood hinge, through the engine bay until younger to the parking lights.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
in GumbyLara's picture are those factor Xenons? Halogens? Aftermarket Xenons? The line is pretty good there for aftermarket lights...

Old 06-11-2010, 03:45 PM
jirsty
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
in GumbyLara's picture are those factor Xenons? Halogens? Aftermarket Xenons? The line is pretty good there for aftermarket lights...
I got the cheapest ones on ebay I could find, and the line and everything looks exactly the same as gumbys, with whatever bulbs came in them.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 PM
rickyr53
4th Gear
I just got these as a gift today. I think they look pretty nice and im glad eveybody who has them hasnt had any problems fitting them on

Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been looking for the "shield thing" but am having no luck

If I purchase some halogen aftermarkets on ebay, do you think its possible to "gut" them out and retro fit my xenon ballasts and lights into them? I have read here and there that the magnifying part of the halogen light would actually difuse the light thus making them essentially halogen quality.

Anyone heard of this or is it an urban myth?

I am up to give it a shot but I just want to make sure that I am headed in the right directiion. Anyone know of a GOOD Ebay company to purchase from?

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:53 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by burley
The dealer quoted you $700 for a set of projector xenons or halogens? if so thats actually a great price. As for the halos being brighter than the xenons.... have you read any of this thread?

Are you just looking for the chrome ring or the actual clear lens? Both are pretty easy to find. Let me know which you're looking for and I'll take a look.
Sorry. I meant $700 a piece AND they don't sell them seperately.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:25 AM
MyMiniGidget
2nd Gear
Ok. So if I have an '03 with xenons, is a xenon from and '05+ a plug and play or would it require CPU work?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:07 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Not sure. It might be something simple like a plug swap or it could be a generation thing (R53).

Anyone know the answer? Maybe a call to an aftermarket seller might answer that.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:18 PM
ihad2reload
1st Gear
how easy was the instillation for the ebay headlights?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 PM
rickyr53
4th Gear
Its super easy i just did my this afternoon.......Now all i need to do it figure out how to and where to connect the parking lights and the halo ring....can somebody help me with this?