Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Ebay Halo's and my Xenon.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009 | 05:17 PM
jirsty
|
3rd Gear
Ebay Halo's and my Xenon.

So, all the Halo headlights on Ebay for mini coopers it says:
These will not work if you have the stock HIDs, does it mean if my stock lights are the Xenon?
and if that is right that they wont work with mine.. why not?
I hope someone knows, if its that i need to rewire or anything, that wouldnt be a problem.
anyone?

Old 12-28-2009 | 05:56 PM
JohnnyVillan
4th Gear
Just a little advice

Avoid ebay headlights at all costs

sh!tsux bro

Old 12-28-2009 | 06:50 PM
jirsty
|
3rd Gear
Whys that =/
Fatherdeth's look sweeet.

Old 12-29-2009 | 12:04 AM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
I LOVE mine! Have had them for about 3 months now, just make sure when you get them to run a little silicone around the seal to be sure it is sealed all the way. Otherwise the fog up in the mornings sometimes. I have an 03' and previously had Xenon's, they plugged up without a problem, that just means that you cannot put HID bulbs inside them because the projector is not designed for it. Could possibly melt or the bulb might touch the lens. But I love mine. I wired my angel eye to my parking lights, there is also another light inside the lens which you can wire to your blinker if you want but I haven't yet. Planning on it though!

The light line is great as well! Here are some demo pics!

Some people say there is a gap between the headlight ring and the molding of the hood but mine isn't noticeable at all!

And the light line: the bulbs that they came with as well: behind the car

In front of the car:

Old 12-29-2009 | 12:17 AM
jirsty
|
3rd Gear
Thanks GumbyLara,

As I said before, I love your car.

And your pictures were very helpful,
but, how did you make your parking lights blue?
Is it a tint? or a new bulb in there?
Because the outside of mine is cracked and when i asked the mini dealer about replacing the lense thing on it.. they informed me that it was a one piece like, that the lense is melted onto the light, so i have to buy a whole new like.. entire parking light.. $180 or something like that..
Buuuut,
I like the way that looks too =]

I think I will also connect my angel eye to my parking lights
(sorry to steal your style, but, its the logical and great looking thing to do!)

Thanks again!

Old 12-29-2009 | 03:01 AM
turbo tecnica
2nd Gear
Gumbylara - Those look nice but I think they need to be aimed a little bit - it seems as though your driver's side light is pointing a bit higher than the other and it's supposed to be the other way around (to avoid blinding oncoming drivers & so road signs/objects off the side of the road are lit up better). It doesn't look too bad but just a thought

Old 12-29-2009 | 05:05 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
i liek the lights at night

Old 12-29-2009 | 02:41 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Originally Posted by turbo tecnica
Gumbylara - Those look nice but I think they need to be aimed a little bit - it seems as though your driver's side light is pointing a bit higher than the other and it's supposed to be the other way around (to avoid blinding oncoming drivers & so road signs/objects off the side of the road are lit up better). It doesn't look too bad but just a thought
I agree 100%!!!! I just haven't gotten around to taking new pictures! That was how they came when I got them, they both needed to be angled down quite a bit.

As for the parking lights being blue, go to Advanced Auto Parts and buy white LED bulbs (It's a 194 bulb),

they for some reason have a little blue tint. And also, I don't consider it copying my style! We are all Mini divers and one BIG family! Many people have wired it like that before I did but thanks for being considerate!

Old 12-29-2009 | 11:47 PM
jirsty
|
3rd Gear
Okay, perfect!

Are the parking lights difficult to get to?
I guess I can go outside and figure it out as fast as you can type it out to me.
But I havent really looked into them before.

I will go find those bulbs pretty soon.

So, turns out no where sells the plasti dip in my city,
Looks like I will have to drive a ways to find some, oh well.

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-30-2009 | 07:36 AM
burley
6th Gear
If you look at the photos of the light pattern you can see the hot spots in the center. They should be spread evenly. They look good, but perform horribly. I've compared my 04 xenons to a friends' with the ebay lights, and mine are hands down brighter, and has wider coverage. I would think twice before taking out xenons. Just my opinion

Old 12-30-2009 | 08:38 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The factory xenons are great.....taking them out is style over function....works for some I guess....IMO it just cheapens your car....but if you want to PIMP you Ride, have fun!!
I just question if you sell your car, and the seller sees the lip...are they going to be thinking you replaced your light after an accident you are covering up, as they are obviously aftermarket, and don't fit right? I also see a major future corrosion problem due to the lip area.....that space, add salt and wind driven water= RUST!!
The Beam pattern in your pictures are pretty crappy.....poor cutoffs, and uneven...but like I said to each his own.
That beaing said I like the LED tip!!

Last edited by ZippyNH; 12-30-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling+RUST note
Old 12-30-2009 | 08:43 AM
jirsty
|
3rd Gear
Well, I just think the Halo lights look a lot more stylish and a bigger concern for me is----

Less chrome!!

But, as for selling the car I don't know if I plan on it, I love this thing and it wont be worth as much to anyone as it is to me,
If I planned on selling it, I wouldn't modify it at all.

Also, I'll of course keep the old lights incase.

Thanks for your suggestions though guys =]

Old 12-30-2009 | 09:52 AM
burley
6th Gear
jirsty,

I'd see if you can find someone locally who has the headlights. Drive around at night with them then make your decision. The light output is really really bad. I couldn't imagine going from xenons to halogens alone... but to go from xenons to aftermarket halogens?! You'll have less light output than stock halogens. Why not just joey mod your lights or buy a set of 05+ xenons and joey mod those? Since you already have xenons, it would be a straight swap w/ no CPU flash AND 05+ xenons are really really easy to open. Also, you'd loose function of the power washers and levelers.

Old 12-30-2009 | 04:07 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
I went from Xenons to the ebay lights without a problem. And I drive at night a lot! And if you want too, just get a brighter bulb, like a 8500K light. The gap is so minor you can't even tell it's there. I don't see how it would rust either cause it's not like the gap can contain water, and water can't get into the engine bay. To each their own, if you like them, get them.

But like I said, I drive at night and the light quality isn't bad at all, I can see just as well as I did before. And I drive on pitch black roads out here as well!

And what's the point of getting a car if you just plan to sell it later??!? I think each person should make their car their own, that's why you bought that car! But if you are buying it just to sell it later then keep it as stock as possible! And keep your stock parts so if you do ever want to sell it, you can just go back to stock again.

Old 12-30-2009 | 05:03 PM
jirsty
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by burley
jirsty,

I'd see if you can find someone locally who has the headlights. Drive around at night with them then make your decision. The light output is really really bad. I couldn't imagine going from xenons to halogens alone... but to go from xenons to aftermarket halogens?! You'll have less light output than stock halogens. Why not just joey mod your lights or buy a set of 05+ xenons and joey mod those? Since you already have xenons, it would be a straight swap w/ no CPU flash AND 05+ xenons are really really easy to open. Also, you'd loose function of the power washers and levelers.
Well i live in a small town, and there is only one other MC, and its like an 03 works..
All stock.
Reading around on here, some people say the light is worse, some say it is better than stock Halogens..
and describe what you mean CPU flash? I would have to do that? how and why?
Also,
My power washers dont work, because I have: http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=45380
So my washers from the headlights are connected to that sprayer.
And Levelers are honestly a useless feature, In my opinion at least- I'm not 500 lbs. (I find the power washers a little unneccisary too, keeping my engine cool is better.)

Old 12-30-2009 | 05:06 PM
jirsty
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GumbyLara
And what's the point of getting a car if you just plan to sell it later??!? I think each person should make their car their own, that's why you bought that car! But if you are buying it just to sell it later then keep it as stock as possible! And keep your stock parts so if you do ever want to sell it, you can just go back to stock again.

+1!

Old 12-30-2009 | 05:19 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GumbyLara
just get a brighter bulb, like a 8500K light..
8500K is not brighter. Its a colder color temperature (kelvin), and is achieved by putting a blue filter over the bulb... which blocks the light. You could get a higher wattage bulb, which you can do if the headlights use an H7. What type of bulb does the aftermarket use?

Originally Posted by jirsty
some people say the light is worse, some say it is better than stock Halogens..
CPU flash only needed for OEM Xenon swap, not aftermarket. You should be fine. Also, just from first hand knowledge, the aftermarkets are no where as bright as the halogens. To each his own, and they do look cool. Just go in knowing that they wont be as bright. I've pulled up next to my buddy who owns them, and my lights made his look like he strapped 2 flashlights to his hood. He got rid of them after 2 weeks...

Last edited by burley; 12-30-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2009 | 05:23 PM
burley
6th Gear
double post

Old 12-30-2009 | 06:12 PM
jirsty
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by burley
double post
Haha^

But alright, I appreciate the heads up, I still think I will end up giving it a shot still though. =]
But now I can't be mad if the light is really terrible, haha.

Old 12-30-2009 | 07:00 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jirsty
Well i live in a small town, and there is only one other MC, and its like an 03 works..
All stock.
Reading around on here, some people say the light is worse, some say it is better than stock Halogens..
Also,
My power washers dont work, because I have: http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=45380
So my washers from the headlights are connected to that sprayer.
And Levelers are honestly a useless feature, In my opinion at least- I'm not 500 lbs. (I find the power washers a little unneccisary too, keeping my engine cool is better.)

If you can get the 05 lights...maybe from a wrecking yard or on e-bay, you will be very happy.....you can do the "JOEY" mod too to get rid of the chrome.....
One thing troubles me...the remark you made about not having washers that work on you headlight......
Not because they are needed or anything....but the fact that I thought most everybody tapped into the REAR washer tank/pump, then did the rear wiper delete.....Just a thought.....that way you will still be able to wash you windshield/lights, when you want to, and still have the cool spray on your inter-cooler....the way it is hooked up now is just crazy!!

Old 12-30-2009 | 08:00 PM
jirsty
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
If you can get the 05 lights...maybe from a wrecking yard or on e-bay, you will be very happy.....you can do the "JOEY" mod too to get rid of the chrome.....
One thing troubles me...the remark you made about not having washers that work on you headlight......
Not because they are needed or anything....but the fact that I thought most everybody tapped into the REAR washer tank/pump, then did the rear wiper delete.....Just a thought.....that way you will still be able to wash you windshield/lights, when you want to, and still have the cool spray on your inter-cooler....the way it is hooked up now is just crazy!!
I don't know why i said that. haha.

It is in fact tapped into the rear washer tank and pump..
I was at work and trying to hurry.
but..... now that I think about it. I think my washers havent working since i connected the sprayer to the rear.

hmm.
Not that I care that much, the car works how i want it to after all haha.

maybe I will have to check it out =/

Old 12-30-2009 | 08:54 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
I've had both the Ebay halos and the OEM Xenons--and I can tell you the Ebay lights, while a cheap alternative to Joey-modding the OEMs, are *****. They are not adjustable in any practical sense (I pulled them apart to see what adjustment mechanism they had, and it's ineffective--it's easier to bend the bonnet mounting tabs). They do have a reasonable cutoff, but the overall brilliance is nothing compared to the OEM lights.
I can sell you a pair at a good price...

Old 12-31-2009 | 06:33 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Gumby,

You purchased those on EBAY? What kind of lights are they...How much...ease of install...?

I have an 03S and was on my way home from Phoenix when a giant piece of rubber from an oncoming semi trucks blowout went flying into the median and directly in front of me (@90mph) I was lucky enough to react and turn ( for goKart steering) and it missed the center of my hood but went DIRECTLY into my passenger side headlight. The headlight still works but is missing half of the protective shield.

Old 12-31-2009 | 08:11 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DMBFan2
Gumby,

You purchased those on EBAY? What kind of lights are they...How much...ease of install...?

I have an 03S and was on my way home from Phoenix when a giant piece of rubber from an oncoming semi trucks blowout went flying into the median and directly in front of me (@90mph) I was lucky enough to react and turn ( for goKart steering) and it missed the center of my hood but went DIRECTLY into my passenger side headlight. The headlight still works but is missing half of the protective shield.
If you look, some people are selling just the lenses. You can pry off the lens and slap on a new one for $50. I just got rid of a few lenses that were in good shape. I'll keep an eye out.

Old 12-31-2009 | 04:43 PM
jirsty
|
3rd Gear
Yeah, DMBfan2,
If you are going to buy these headlights just becasue you need a new protective shield thing, I would simply buy new Shield as burley suggested, as it would be cheaper. especially if you are happy with the current look of yours now.
Also, I might check the dealership to see if they could sell you a shield thing for a decent price.
However, if you are going for the look of the new lights and are going more for style, then you can get new lights =]

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Ebay Halo's and my Xenon.