Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior New Lower grill

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 07:50 AM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would agree, why waste your money on a preformed grill, when you get material from home depot, cut it your self, and make it fit.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:06 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
>>i would agree, why waste your money on a preformed grill, when you get material from home depot, cut it your self, and make it fit.
>>
>>oh that's you like things to bolt on, like a honda would be...
>>
>>silly ricers, bolt on's for kids

You forget that the grill has compound curves. Unless you don't mind the mesh to straight as a board. That would be cheesy

Old 01-02-2004, 10:09 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^^^^sweeeet, tough looking front end, i like

Old 01-02-2004, 10:14 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Thank you Koolmini

Old 01-03-2004, 10:48 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
me like very much msfitoy.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:13 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Peter or anyone else,

Do you have a picture of the silver one on a Mini? I really like the closeup that maxmini posted. It really shows the quality.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:43 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dgszweda.....let me know if this is what your looking for.

Products as art, Harmony in design and form follows function...

Old 01-05-2004, 06:28 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Paul,

Good picture. I was wondering if you had one from a farther distance showing the whole front end with the silver grill. To see how it fits in with the rest of the car. I am getting closer to a decision between the black and the silver.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:14 AM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will have someting for you soon.......

peter horvath
562-712-3270

Old 01-05-2004, 10:26 AM
twstlvr
3rd Gear
Does this new grill still accomodate the tow hook? In a picture that MSFITOY posted he has the tow hook in place. The original pic posted of this grill doesn't look like the hole is there.

Jason

Old 01-05-2004, 05:14 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
>>Does this new grill still accomodate the tow hook? In a picture that MSFITOY posted he has the tow hook in place. The original pic posted of this grill doesn't look like the hole is there.
>>
>>Jason

Jason,

I've made a few note of recommendation to Peter. The hole is one of them. After mounting the grill, I looked straight into the hole and marked the appropriate area to be trimmed with a dremmel cutter then touched the raw edges with some matching paint. When screwing the hook, I gently pressed the grill in slightly to clear the hook as I tightened them down. Use teflon tape to assist in timing the hook so it will be up/down or left/right as you prefer

Sid

Old 09-20-2004, 04:40 PM
DWrath
1st Gear
Lower mesh grill

I just installed my lower mesh grill by Grillcraft available at Moss Mini http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=42090
It does require drilling three small holes into the bumper, but these are not visible once installed. In order to install (the instructions do not tell you this) you will need to remove the bottom plastic on the bumper (the part that always scratches on curbs). You will remove the first line of screws (black with wide washer type heads and the two on each side attaching to the side fender) and the second line of screws (similar to the first line of screws, but not exactly so don't mix them up, and 3 bolt like screws). After all these screws are removed, the lower portion should come out pretty easily. I did not remove the factory plastic grill, for reasons presented earlier in this discussion, but simply placed the new grill in front, plenty of air flow is still allowed. Once the grill is placed, take a long nail to marked the 3 areas to be drilled. Drill the holes, then reach your hand/arm beneath and into the bumper to install the screws. It's kinda tight and a short screw driver needs to be used, but it's doable. It looks pretty sweet installed. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed an M7 Ultimate grill in April. After some back and forth about color,
I chose silver........it goes amazingly well with my ds/w, '02 MCS. Other than white bonnet stripes, tires and mud guards it's my only exterior mod and the most significant of all. No chipping so far and the stock grill can't even remotely compare to it's quality and look.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
The M7 Ultimate grill is sweet looking! I need one.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:30 PM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
Hi Peter,

Any pics of the MC grill?? What colors??

Thanks.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:57 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
As cheese said, the stock grille is partially blocked off for a reason. You should think about getting a shroud between the radiator and the bumper opening that will make all of the air go through the radiator. That way, you can get your cooling system back up to the level it was stock (or maybe even better!).
Is there any testing to prove this? I would think that the blocked off pieces on the sides might create a vacuum effect behind them that would draw air to the sides of the radiator. If the whole grill is open, air would flow straight through and have some lateral compressive force to keep the air infront of the radiator.

Even if this isn't the case, the effect would only be seen at higher speeds in which enough air is flowing through the radiator anyway. When stopped, the opening is larger than stock allowing less restriction and more airflow through the fans (which are drawing straight through the radiator).

Do you get where I'm going with this or am I just on a crazy tangent?

Old 09-22-2004, 02:22 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
More air is better...no problems with mine after nearly 10k miles...

Old 09-22-2004, 07:17 PM
kyriian
6th Gear

im confused! i have the exact same grill i got off of euro style east.. it came in a package with the grillcraft sticker.. the instruction told me not to take out the oem grill and just put it on top of the existing grill, which i did! now it looks like......... not like any of the shots above!

can anyone help pls!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2004, 07:29 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kyriian

im confused! i have the exact same grill i got off of euro style east.. it came in a package with the grillcraft sticker.. the instruction told me not to take out the oem grill and just put it on top of the existing grill, which i did! now it looks like......... not like any of the shots above!

can anyone help pls!!!!!!!!!
That's what I have right now. It was one of the 1st Cooper S grills and just went over the stock grill - very bad for airflow. I've run it for over a year in Florida heat and have had no heat related problems, though. Now, I'm planning on upgrading to the M7 grill that is a total replacement.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:32 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Not sure what grill you have. This is the M7 black grill.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:57 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
The M7 grill is by far the best replacement grill out there. Nothing else out there including the OEM even comes close. I had zero problems with it, and was even involved in a front end accident, and it never chipped or bent out of alignment. I can't recommend it enough. so much that I am almost to the point to pay for R&D to get one done for the aero grill.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:01 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Not sure what grill you have. This is the M7 black grill.

strange, mine looks identical but mine is like a cover.... i had it from euro style east, they told me it was shipped directly from m7 in california (followed the tracking number etc, and i knew it was the new ones cuze it was on back-order when i ordered mine) when it arrived, it had 3 screws and the grille and the instruction was for me to just put it on the existing grille, gave nothing about how to uninstall the old one

Old 09-22-2004, 08:01 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by dgszweda1
The M7 grill is by far the best replacement grill out there. Nothing else out there including the OEM even comes close. I had zero problems with it, and was even involved in a front end accident, and it never chipped or bent out of alignment. I can't recommend it enough. so much that I am almost to the point to pay for R&D to get one done for the aero grill.
I just had the M7 grille installed also... the quality is unreal.... then again I think I own a mini.......it's been gone so long I better check the title when I go to the shop tomorrow....

Old 09-23-2004, 06:53 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kyriian
strange, mine looks identical but mine is like a cover.... i had it from euro style east, they told me it was shipped directly from m7 in california (followed the tracking number etc, and i knew it was the new ones cuze it was on back-order when i ordered mine) when it arrived, it had 3 screws and the grille and the instruction was for me to just put it on the existing grille, gave nothing about how to uninstall the old one
The old one just pops out and the new one is installed near flush to the bumper surface.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:26 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
The old one just pops out and the new one is installed near flush to the bumper surface.
mine's flush to the bumper surface.. i just had no instruction on how to pop out the old one... mind posting some instructions here?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior New Lower grill