Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Question about DSC

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 01:16 PM
ukbyoung
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my MCS for about a month and a half now and I still don't understand the DSC completely. When I turn it off and I try to take off quick the light flashes and I loose a lot of power. Is it still on? Why do I lose all the power?

B

Old 11-25-2003, 01:20 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Your DSC is ON when the light is permenently OFF. The DSC light will flash when DSC is interferring.

Your DSC is OFF when your light is always ON (you have to click the toggle)

with DSC OFF you will see this light lit (and it won't flash).

Old 11-25-2003, 05:24 PM
erikgil
2nd Gear
DiD

Just wanted to point out that you explanation is the same with ASC for us cheap folks :smile:

Old 11-26-2003, 04:37 PM
lekfx
2nd Gear
Your DSC works like this: All 4 wheels are monitored by teh antilock brake system. This data goes to several sub-systems like mileage, range calculator, runflat monitor, etc. It also goes to the DSC system. When the car goes into a turn it "feels' the rate of yaw, or left/right rotation of the chassis. It knows the speed, and steering wheel angle too. It knows when one or more wheels begin to turn diferently from the others and then it kicks in! It cuts the throttle (this contributes to stumble for some of us too!) and applies braking force to some wheels to help make the car continue to rotate around the curve as it was when it went in. Anyway, let's say you are turning a hard and fast right. You are going a bit fast and your front tires start to understeer, probably before you ever feel it, and the system kicks in. It will not allow more throttle. It will slowly lower the present throttle, and it will allow less throttle. It will apply brakes to the right rear wheel, and the car will want to "spin" to the right, but not understeer, and you wil get through the turn neatly, but not any faster OR tighter than you went in while the DSC is running. If you go in too WIDE and hot, you will find yourself drifting out towrd the edge and not turning tighter. If this happens JAM on the brakes.The anti-locks will get you to turn in tighter! Very neat trick I used on the track recently. Try this in an empty parking lot some time, but first get some extra pressure in your tires: breaking a bead is rolling your car!!!. Anyway, let's say you are turning a hard and fast right. It can be overtaxed. I did it once: Hair riasing! I was up in Big Bear Ca., and in a fast banked left curve I hit a small gravel patch. The rear went way out really fast, and if not for my go-kart training reflexes, I would have re-modeled a nice home. Swing right, steer right, and when the tires caught, it swung left hard again! I counter steered again and this time I caught it and got it back in line. No harm, no foul, BIG lesson! If you WANT to slide, flick the switch (you may have noticed: it takes a deliberate push on the switch to turn it off, since they don't want you to do it by accident!) and watch out! These cars rotate FAST!

Old 11-26-2003, 04:40 PM
erikgil
2nd Gear
Ever heard of a new papragraph?

Old 11-26-2003, 05:14 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Paragraphs? I think maybe lekfx would have done this:

Your DSC works like this: All 4 wheels are monitored by the antilock brake system. This data goes to several sub-systems like mileage, range calculator, runflat monitor, etc. It also goes to the DSC system.

When the car goes into a turn it "feels' the rate of yaw, or left/right rotation of the chassis. It knows the speed, and steering wheel angle too. It knows when one or more wheels begin to turn diferently from the others and then it kicks in! It cuts the throttle (this contributes to stumble for some of us too!) and applies braking force to some wheels to help make the car continue to rotate around the curve as it was when it went in.

Anyway, let's say you are turning a hard and fast right. You are going a bit fast and your front tires start to understeer, probably before you ever feel it, and the system kicks in. It will not allow more throttle. It will slowly lower the present throttle, and it will allow less throttle. It will apply brakes to the right rear wheel, and the car will want to "spin" to the right, but not understeer, and you wil get through the turn neatly, but not any faster OR tighter than you went in while the DSC is running.

If you go in too WIDE and hot, you will find yourself drifting out towrd the edge and not turning tighter. If this happens JAM on the brakes.The anti-locks will get you to turn in tighter! Very neat trick I used on the track recently. Try this in an empty parking lot some time, but first get some extra pressure in your tires: breaking a bead is rolling your car!!!.

Anyway, let's say you are turning a hard and fast right. It can be overtaxed. I did it once: Hair riasing! I was up in Big Bear Ca., and in a fast banked left curve I hit a small gravel patch. The rear went way out really fast, and if not for my go-kart training reflexes, I would have re-modeled a nice home. Swing right, steer right, and when the tires caught, it swung left hard again! I counter steered again and this time I caught it and got it back in line.

No harm, no foul, BIG lesson! If you WANT to slide, flick the switch (you may have noticed: it takes a deliberate push on the switch to turn it off, since they don't want you to do it by accident!) and watch out! These cars rotate FAST!

Old 12-05-2003, 05:58 PM
lekfx
2nd Gear
PARAGRAPHS??? Paragraphs are for pussies.

Actually, I was in far too great a rush here at the fantasy factory to edit, so thanks for a nice editing job Minhune. Usually I do edit, but my job (Visual Effects Supervisor) is a constant sprint, and any posts I squeeze in take a serious chunk of my day. Thanks for the help!

lekfx

Function over form, but they follow each other, like the Benzine snake!

Old 12-06-2003, 06:17 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i donno, most of the time when i read posts that is one huge blob of a
paragraph, i loose track of wat im reading, but lekfx's explanation i just
soared through it understanding wat he said. :smile: it was a quick zero counter with full throttle which kept
it straight with DSC "ON."